Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool the best team in England Evarrrrrrrr (its offical)!

• 24-07-2006 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Its comes as no surprise to me 'naturalment', but Liverpool have been confirmed as the best team in the history of the English game having a points average of 1.63 per game.
    Liverpool top all-time table

Liverpool pipped Manchester United to top spot in an all-time league table dating back to the start of English League football and published by The Times on Monday.

According to the standings, which awards three points for a win and one for a draw since the start of league football in 1888, Liverpool, who have won a record 18 titles, emerged with 5,927 points from their 3,643 matches - an average of 1.63 points a game.

Manchester United, who have won 15 titles, were second with 5,337 points from their 3,287 matches - an average of 1.62 points per game followed by Arsenal, champions 13 times, who totalled 5,780 points from 3,643 matches at 1.59 points a match.

Despite playing only 2,063 matches in the top division, Leeds United were fourth with 1.48 average points with Aston Villa fifth (1.47), Everton sixth (1.47), Tottenham Hotspur seventh (1.44), Newcastle United eighth (1.43), Wolverhampton Wanderers ninth (1.42) and Burnley tenth (1.41).

Chelsea, champions for the last two seasons, are 14th (average 1.39 points) and would have to total more than 90 points a season for the next 23 years to overhaul Liverpool's present average points per game.

Leyton Orient, who spent one season in the top division in 1962-63, placed 62nd and last in the list with 0.64 points a match.

Everton, founder members of the league in 1888, have played more top flight matches than any other club: 4,027 while Liverpool have won more than anyone else: 1,674. Everton also hold the record for drawn games (987) and defeats (1,402).

More here

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Ive thought and thought and thought but I just cant find a way to twist this in Uniteds favour, give me another ten minutes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Arsenal and Liverpool have played exactly the same amount of games, what'r the odds? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Weird seeing Burnley up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Deffo the best supported club on here as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

the daddies of english football...

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I wonder if this had been carried out 15 years ago what it would have looked like, and what it will look like in 15 years time?

The Times today also declared that the Arsenal team in '91 that won the league with just 1 defeat and a 2 point deduction was the greatest team in the history of English football. The Times also said that the Arsenal team that went unbeaten was the yardstick by which all Arsenal teams must now be measured, go figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

i wonder how much last season affected Sunderlands total ? lol

I reckoned blackburns total would be higher on that list with 3 titles to our name, but oh well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I wonder, what exactly was the point in that piece of research though? Its kind of like saying, wow look how great Anderlect were they won this years ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Ive thought and thought and thought but I just cant find a way to twist this in Uniteds favour, give me another ten minutes :)
    I think you will find Utd have more actual points than Liverpool ;) (Not even sure this is true but it sounds good)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

we were 4th

cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

Basically this is rubbish, they are essentially rewarding teams for spending time outside the top division. The all time top 10 based on points earned in the top division only are (wait for it Everton fans):
    1 EVERTON 4322
    2 LIVERPOOL 4291
    3 ARSENAL 4206
    4 ASTON VILLA 3952
    5 MAN UTD 3877
    6 NEWCASTLE 3183
    7 MAN CITY 3132
    8 TOTTENHAM 3056
    9 SUNDERLAND 3009
    10 CHELSEA 3002.
    Unfortunately the most succesful club in the history of football is Liverpool as they have won more trophies than anyone else, but we new that anyway because they keep reminding of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Where can one see the full stats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

irish1 wrote:
    Where can one see the full stats?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,27-2282835,00.html

at the top of that article there is a link that says ::

All-time league table in full

Click on it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Trampas

I wonder if this had been carried out 15 years ago what it would have looked like, and what it will look like in 15 years time?

The Times today also declared that the Arsenal team in '91 that won the league with just 1 defeat and a 2 point deduction was the greatest team in the history of English football. The Times also said that the Arsenal team that went unbeaten was the yardstick by which all Arsenal teams must now be measured, go figure.

Sounds like a Sky Sports person. Doesn't believe football existed before the premiership

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Here's the full list, complete with teams who have long since been forgotten.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/displayPopup/0,,110108,00.html

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

And like that the posts were gone.......

Comment on the thread not your own whiney little "man Utd/livErpool r de best" crap.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Much tidier.

Nice to see Wolves in that list, but kind of depressing too. :(

Mike.

Advertisement