Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need an Engineer to oversee build???

Options
  • 24-07-2006 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Bear with me while I explain the situation:

I'm presently extending my bungalow. I had an R.I.A.I. Architect engaged to oversee the build from planning stage to final completion. However, when I gave him 50% of his fee at the planning application stage, his attitude towards my extension changed utterly. He went from describing it as "an exciting project" to it being "a small job in the overall scheme of things", even though its a 1,200 sq ft extension.

Now this plank then refused to return calls and when I did manage to catch up with him, he said he was too busy to oversee my build (even though I had a signed contract with him).

I've since gotten a reputable builder who has commenced construction off the plans. I've seen other houses that he's built in my area and spoken to his former clients who sang his praises. The foundations of my extension have been poured and the build is currently at finished floor level. The walls will commence after the builder's holidays.

However, a colleague of mine has told me that I will need a certificate of compliance from an Architect or Engineer to present to the Council when the build is complete. Why do I need this? Is it more stupid bureacracy? I know its to do with compliance with the building regs and planning permission but if I am happy with the job, what business is it of the council as the house is being built in compliance with the planning permission. As I also oversee construction projects from a financial perspective, I know a good deal of how structures are constructed and therefore the wool won't be pulled over my eyes by a builder or subbie cutting corners.

The question is - do I really need an Architect or an Engineer and if so, would it be possible to get one now that construction has commenced.

Finally, I have photos of the foundations with the structural steel in place etc if this would be of help to a prospective engineer.

Advice appreciated

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,404 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I know its to do with compliance with the building regs and planning permission but if I am happy with the job, what business is it of the council as the house is being built in compliance with the planning permission.

What would be the point of a planning process if you could, once you had permission, build what ever you want as long as you were happy. I'm sure it does match the planning design but the council can't just trust people to do it right, theres alot of chancers out there. If your architect is contracted to do it, then get him to do it. this could become a problem down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭paulmallon

do ye not just need someone with prof. indemnity insurance?,it doesnt need to be the original prick architect.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,404 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

paulmallon wrote:
    do ye not just need someone with prof. indemnity insurance?,it doesnt need to be the original prick architect.
    But its going to be harder to get somebody to put their ass no the line for work they didn't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

i agree with paul, you don't need the original architect (i'd complain about
    his behaviour though to the RIAI):mad: that behaviour is disgraceful
    just goes to show "eaten bread soon forgotten"

when this happens trust is gone out the window, i'd personally workaway
    without him and get someone else, i would be asking for some money back!

have a phone around or better still get someone on recomendation
    to oversee the job with indemnity insurance, as you'll need someone to oversee not just for the council planning, but also for the mortgage, expect to pay 300ish per visit that'll include the required certs for the bank.

photos should do fine for the foundation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

You would also have legal problems if you ever you go to sell your house, if you don't have a completion cert for the extension...

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

Mellor wrote:
    But its going to be harder to get somebody to put their ass no the line for work they didn't do.

Almost impossible. Get comeone involved asap, they need to see the work being done to sign off on it.

Dunno if you need to present a cert to the council, but you would absolutely need to have it if you ever need/want to sell the house.

A prospective purchaser would find it very difficult to get a mortgage on the extension. If it falls down the bank can't recover their money (no architect to sue) so they say no to the loan, or put a low valuation on the house (same thing really)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,130 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I think you have most of the answers by now.

For starters I would drop the attitude of - F*ck the Council its none of their business. It certainly is their business and you will know all about if you go to sell in the future and you haven't complied with the planning permission or assocaited conditions.

If you have a mortgage on the property/extension you will need someone there to supervise the works.

If you are not working off a mortgage you do not need anyone there but it is strongly advised that you do have just to cover you in the event that you either sell or remortgage in the future.

Regarding the architect you have contracted: did you advise him of the date that you were commencing? Did you submit a commencement notice to the Council with his details on it? My advice is to write to him and tell him he must follow through on the job. You can try contacting the RIAI but after all its self regulatory so I doubt if you will get much change there.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Johnniep

From the engineering side of things, the most important aspect of most build is the foundations. If these are not correct, it will ultimately lead to problems down the line. The fact that your builder has put reinforcing steel into the footings is a good sign and photos will help.

As already mentioned, the cert of compliance will be required if you plan to sell the house or draw down money from your bank. While unlikely on a small house extension, building control may also pop in so its worth having all your paper work in order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Thanks for all the advice lads.

I don't have a mortgage so I don't need to get down on my knees to a bloody bank so that rules them out.

The extension is being built in compliance with the planning permission down to the type of slates specified for the roof etc so the Council should be happy.

As regards the Architect, as soon as the planning permission came through, I called him and told him that I wanted to start to look for a builder. He stated that it was too soon as I had to wait a month for the final grant to come through. I knew this but it wouldn't have prevented me having a builder lined up and ready to go. This is when the Architect told me in roundabout terms that he wasn't interested in the job anymore. He was going an "a long holiday" and he didn't know when he'd be back. He also wouldn't pass on the conditions of the planning permission even though he was asked three times for them. I eventually had to get them from the Council. I thought long and hard about filing a complaint with the R.I.A.I. but I figured this would be a waste of time.

We plan to stay in the house as we love the area, have great neighbours etc but I take the point that if, at some point, we have to move it would probably be a good idea to have the cert of compliance. Does anyone know of an Engineer who would be willing to oversee the job at this stage in the north kildare area. Like I said originally, the build is now at finished floor level but I have photos of the foundations.

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 46,130 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Dave, you might struggle a wee bit trying to get someone else but there would be a lot of independant guys out there and you are bound to get one who will take the job on.

The obvious places to look are the yellow pages or ask a few friends/relations who they retained. Maybe someone can post up here to solve your problem. You could also try some of the financial brokers who normally know who is able to supervise works in the local area

I wouldnt go any further with the works until you have an engineer/architect/tecnician/surveyor there to inspect it at its present stage. Just make sure that they have PI cover.

If you havent your commencement notice submitted i would still send it in and work the dates accordingly. This is an area that the legal people are beginning to tighten up on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Johnniep

Dave,

Unfortunately, my PI doesn't allow me to sign off on work designed by others, but if I can give you a dig out in any other way, let me know.

Regards,

John

Advertisement