Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood Pellet Delivery Distance

Options
  • 24-07-2006 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi all,

I am installing a wood pellet boiler and I just need to get an idea of how far the storage can be from the delivery truck. I am planning to have the pellets blown in to the store and I have looked at the balcas site and it says that the store needs to be within 15m of the truck. I thought that I read some were that this could be higher but have searched and cannot find it.

If anyone has any experience or knows the max distance it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Binnox

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Biobin

Hi Binnox,

just came across your query, have you taken the project any further?

The distance from delivery truck to store is generally 15m. Balcas recommend this and are strict about it as greater distances can damage pellets. I have heard that it is possible to go up to 20m, depending on the supplier but cannot advise on this.

The greater distance you may be thinking of could refer to the transportation of pellets to boiler. With an auger it is quite limited, but there are vacuum systems that can make distances of up to 20m/30m feasible.

A clever combination of outdoor storage and a good vacuum system could solve your problem.

Another suggestion that sometimes helps.... is there a rear entrance to your property or a road that runs along the garden? Sometimes the driveway isn't the best place to park the truck.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 yakyak

Hi,

Just had delivery from Balcas yesterday and fortunately my pellet store (i constructed) is in a fairly accessible back yard. The truck backs upto approx' 5 mt from the store, problem is the pressure is unreal at this close distance and i had to install a heavy foam back to the store to stop the pellets braking up. I have had no real problems with the delivery of pellets, one thing to do is A.install foam/soft plastic back to dissapate force and B. install a extractor to remove the dust whilst pellets being blown in.......you will see why when you blow in your first load!!!!!!

I have since installed a 4'' ducting with a camlock which means they can hook up their hose to the pipe on the external wall of the store and flick the lever, no mess, no fuss, no cleaning sawdust of the boiler!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭ShowAndGo

Those tips are great yakyak. I have to get around to building my own pellet store. Where can I pick up the camlock?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 binnox

Contact sales@intricoproducts.com for camlocks. They are shipped from the uk and the postage is as much as the camlock but still a real good price.

Part A 'Cam and Groove' adaptor 4" ALA400 £3.85
    dust cap was about £2.00

delivery was £12.50

ON the delivery distance from the truck to the pellet store, Balcas can bring an extension piece for delivery and go up to 20M but you always have to remind them to bring it.

Binnox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Limerick.1

Does anyone know where is the best value in bulk pellets at present. In the past I've always gone to Balcas

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stodwyer

I have gotten my pellets for the past 3 years from Brites.eu
    They seem to be the cheapest. I must check again as im due a refill.. Make sure your place is earthed before bulk blow.

Advertisement