Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best and Worst Doormen in Town

Options
  • 24-07-2006 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭nikolaitr

I would have to say the Best is either Eamonn Doran's or Messrs Maguires...The old lad in Doran's is especially nice

he Worst I think is The Q Bar bouncers.....it always seems to be "too full" when I come to the door.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

nikolaitr wrote:
    the Worst I think is The Q Bar bouncers.....it always seems to be "too full" when I come to the door.
    thats cause your a scruffy lookin bollox

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Q loads of posts...

What town...?Westport,Cork,Kerry...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Exactly...when did this become BoardsDublin.ie?

Post it in the Dublin forum ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

ferdi wrote:
    thats cause your a scruffy lookin bollox
    that was completely unexpected.worth a chuckle.

Im not a fan of any but i once was going in to Q bar and said hey to the bouncer, he nodded back.. then 3 steps later he called me back and change his mind...the really **** part was he completely grinned the whole time so i vote that ONE douche my worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭nikolaitr

Wherever, doesn't matter......its the stories that matter

• Advertisement

sorry nikolaitr, thought i knew you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

fade2black wrote:
    Exactly...when did this become BoardsDublin.ie?

Post it in the Dublin forum ffs.
    Despite your dislike of the fact that most of the people on boards are from the greater Dublin area, there is still no rule that states he can't post in AH. Hell, if all the Dublin related threads were in the Dublin forum AH would be dead!

ferdi wrote:
    sorry nikolaitr, thought i knew you :D

Oh my last comment wasn't in reply to you. Don't worry I'm new to boards but I'm used to it's dark humour

well tell us about the good and bad doormen in your town then....name and shame all over the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Greater Dublin Area interesting.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Dublin_Area

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Is this another one of those "I read a thread, now I'm making a spin off thread" after hours specials??:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

In fairness, the OP never said anything about Dublin, he was talking about the best and worst in his town.

I like the Flannerys door men, they're a good laugh even when they're throwing you out..Don't have a major problem with any door men...oh wait, maybe diceys?? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Kilkenny - The bouncers at the Venue.

Chakar wrote:
    Greater Dublin Area interesting.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Dublin_Area
    Why?

DubGuy wrote:
    In fairness, the OP never said anything about Dublin, he was talking about the best and worst in his town.

I like the Flannerys door men, they're a good laugh even when they're throwing you out..Don't have a major problem with any door men...oh wait, maybe diceys?? :eek:

He said in town and then went on to talk about Dublin.:rolleyes:

fade2black wrote:
    And his location is Dublin

Some people eh? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

Time in Naas, Co. Kildare has alot of bouncers on power trips

fade2black wrote:

Where else was I ment to talk about. My place of experience is Dublin....really

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Doran's ones are nice all right, I find most places suck. The one's in the GPO are particular bastards...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Well if we're talking about Dublin Id say the clowns at AKA or Cocoon, if they think you dont have a pretentious D4 type air then you're fooked.

Ive actually always found the majority of doormen outside dublin fairly sound.

nikolaitr wrote:
    Where else was I ment to talk about. My place of experience is Dublin....really

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=474

here you go buddy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

Jesus fade2black! He was asking people to talk about doormen and what they thought and then spoke of his experiences...in Dublin where he obviously frequents! Now you can talk about wherever you come from, hows that?

I've never had any trouble with the Q bar bouncers but tbh I've never liked the look of them, very threatening and ridiculously macho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Doran's gets my vote - they once let me it with blood gushing from a cut under my eye. Niiiice.

Messers Good too.

Swords - Bouncers in the harp were great.

1 stops me.

Him:Have you been drinking?
    Me : No
    Him: Well get in and get one then! :D

Q Bar are pretty random.

Cocoon ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

I dont like any doorman that stops me with a pathetic reason :)

I'm 30, I dont cause **** were I go - I should be allowed drink where I want to - so to every bouncer/doorman/gorilla that has ever stopped me - **** you, I got in somewhere else :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oh I forgot, the ones in bazaar in galway, great guys. One stopped me going in after reading my id, said my name and said there was a lovely blonde girl not wearing much upstairs by the dj box, dancing, that had been looking for me. Then he said, go for it. In I go anyway, and sure enough one was there. Heh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

I dont know any nice doormen to be honest. Some are alright, Doyles on College Green, Redz, Club 92 etc. Im sure of I talked to them for long enough theyd irritate me

Edit:How could I forget. Theres a guy on the Door of Dandelion who helped to dress my head after I tripped whilst walking off the Luas one night (yes sober). Hes not very tall hes got a short haircut, brown hair. Hes the dude. Plus he has a sense of humour.

But the worst...
    • Sin in temple Bar, Ive never had any trouble with them but one night I saw two bouncers standing outside making fun of some homeless woman. Scum or what
    • Tram Co - one of them is always ona power trip. He tried kicking me out for being pissed a few months ago, and I dont drink! The Estonian guy is cool though
    • Maximus down in Nenagh in Tipperarry. Have very dodgy bouncers
    • D2 - over 21s only, them and their Unbendable age limits!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

I was at a wedding in a hotel in Athlone (yes I know - that place!) last month.

Myself and a friend I hadn't seen for a few years were chatting while standing to one side of a fire exit with double doors (approximately eight feet wide). Our pints were on a shelf against the wall.

Two bouncers came along and told us to move.
    'You're blocking the fire exit, lads'.

There was a two foot gap between the wall and the door and we were standing in that gap. We were not blocking it.

'We're not blocking it but we'll move if you insist. Anyway there's not going to be a fire'.

The bouncers scowled at us and said
    'Lads. I'm not going to tell you again. Get the f*ck out of there'.

Fast forward four hours.

It's 2 am.
    There was no fire.

Myself and my friend approached one of the bouncers and said

'Hey! There wasn't a fire. We could have stayed where we were.'

He just walked off in disgust, didn't even have the manners to reply.

Still - it's great to see them being proved wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Worst: McGowan's in Churchtown

Best: The Palace

Have had bad experiences in a good few places but it was generally justified(Me being too drunk etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Two bouncers came along and told us to move.
    'You're blocking the fire exit, lads'.
    This is why people should listen to Mitch Hedberg!
    You had the perfect opportunity to use one of his jokes.
    'If I have legs and am flammable, I am not blocking a Fire Exit' :D

As for Doormen: Messrs ones are grand, never had any problem. Had trouble one time at Qbar when me and a mate accidently skipped the entire queue and tried to get in. Was all sorted though and a good night was had by all. Redz guys aren't too bad really, but I'd hardly call em friendly.

Anyone been to The Vault? I hate all their security guys they're such power-tripping muppets!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

As soon as I read the title "Best and Worst Doormen in Town" I knew this was gonna be a Dub thread.

This was my reply to a "sure most people are Dubs" guy then and it is now too

On topic, I usually am not too drunk to get in but have been asked to go for a walk and then get in after half an hour. In town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Never had a problem with doormen at Redz. Q-Bar and Barcode are ok most the time but have their moments. Doormen at Heavan at the Blanchardstown shopping centre are assholes

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement