Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best and Worst Doormen in Town

Options

Comments

• Redz. I barely ever go out in town at all, went once for a friend's birthday. Walked in there, took the coat off, was sitting having a grand time with my friends. Just before we were about to leave I headed to the toilet with my coat as I hadn't a bag with me, and my, ahem, sanitary products were in the pocket. The bouncer stopped me and said I couldn't go in the loo without checking my coat. I told him I'd been there for 3 hours and was about to leave, and was just going to the loo, thinking surely there was a misunderstanding. He kept insisting that I paid the 2 euro and checked the coat, to which I said I wasn't paying when I was about to leave, and I told him I needed stuff in the pocket of the coat to go to the toilet (I really did). He totally mocked me and said there was no reason I needed anything (typical man), I laughed so, not wanting to say it was Tampax and he suddenly starts yelling at me, saying I was laughing at him, and asked me to leave. He mocked my "posh" accent (I'm from Tyrone) and called me a posh spoiled bitch or something. So I got thrown out onto the street alone and had ring my friends inside. Total f**king asshole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

In Dublin, I've found that the worst were in the POD and Zanzibar and the best were The Palace (in the day), The Temple and Quinns.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Doran's gets my vote - they once let me it with blood gushing from a cut under my eye. Niiiice.

Messers Good too.

Swords - Bouncers in the harp were great.

1 stops me.

Him:Have you been drinking?
    Me : No
    Him: Well get in and get one then! :D

Q Bar are pretty random.

Cocoon ****e

seconded

pretty much my experience, I live in Swords, and of any of the 15+ pubs here i'd go to the Harp, it was good before they rebuilt it, now its great. I actually worked on the rebuild of it *random fact*

I hate bouncers tbh, they are usually thugs or monkeys in leather jackets who get given an unbelieveable amount of power to ruin someones night. Now I say usually because I have met a few sound ones, people I used to go to the gym with and a guy from college. I find i'll usually get into anywhere in town, as long as I let my other half go in infront of me, if i'm infront they seem to always stop me and take pleasure in making me look like a child by asking "are you really 23?".

Bars I like also, Pravda in Dublin, has pretty good bouncers, I think they have 2 african guys at the moment that are sound as a pound. If i'm waiting for friends i'll usually get a pint and chat to them for a bit. Also the Turks head is alright and The Porter House on Nassau St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

Worst I've come across are in Blazers in Longford. Following an argument with some guy about the poorly organised queue for the cloakroom during the pre-Christmas rush one particular bouncer decided to thump said guy but instead hit me instead! And when I complained I was promptly told to f*ck off! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Despite your dislike of the fact that most of the people on boards are from the greater Dublin area, there is still no rule that states he can't post in AH. Hell, if all the Dublin related threads were in the Dublin forum AH would be dead!

Right, here's the deal. You are completely and totally wrong. Post in the right forum, read the charter and the stickies. This is AH not the Dublin forum.

This was pointed out to all of you weeks ago. Deal with it. People have been banned for this because I'm sick of having to waste time moving threads because people are too lazy to find the correct forum.

Thread moved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I ****ing love nesf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

L31mr0d wrote:
    seconded

pretty much my experience, I live in Swords, and of any of the 15+ pubs here i'd go to the Harp, it was good before they rebuilt it, now its great. I actually worked on the rebuild of it *random fact*

I hate bouncers tbh, they are usually thugs or monkeys in leather jackets who get given an unbelieveable amount of power to ruin someones night. Now I say usually because I have met a few sound ones, people I used to go to the gym with and a guy from college. I find i'll usually get into anywhere in town, as long as I let my other half go in infront of me, if i'm infront they seem to always stop me and take pleasure in making me look like a child by asking "are you really 23?".

Bars I like also, Pravda in Dublin, has pretty good bouncers, I think they have 2 african guys at the moment that are sound as a pound. If i'm waiting for friends i'll usually get a pint and chat to them for a bit. Also the Turks head is alright and The Porter House on Nassau St.

Ahh the harp in swords, me aul mate Chuck Norris does the door there ! Legend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

The nicest Ive ever encountered are one or two of the lads on the door at barcode, always a smile and friendly chat, and looked after a mate of mine when he was in a bad way.

Another vote for the oldschool palace too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Check this out..
    www.dublinpubscene.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I must say that these lads sound like excellent bouncers to me....
    Sizzler wrote:
    f they think you dont have a pretentious D4 type air then you're fooked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Sizzler wrote:
    Ahh the harp in swords, me aul mate Chuck Norris does the door there ! Legend :D

Thats him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭nikolaitr

Just to query the Mods moving this thread? Why is it being moved to Dublin...The title of it was "Best and Worst Doormen in Town "...it said in TOWN, not Galway,not Dublin but town,anytown.

I wonder if I wrote about pubs in Galway city would it have been moved?

There seems to be a strong anti-Dublin bias here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

I am always hearing of people having problems for no reason in venues in templebar, pitty really bar owners do notting but complain about being less busy and margins going down

Amazing how much unprofessional "bouncers" I wouldnt even call them doormen, can cost a club money, probally the least paid people in the business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

nesf wrote:
    Right, here's the deal. You are completely and totally wrong. Post in the right forum, read the charter and the stickies. This is AH not the Dublin forum.

This was pointed out to all of you weeks ago. Deal with it. People have been banned for this because I'm sick of having to waste time moving threads because people are too lazy to find the correct forum.

Thread moved.

With all due respect, I think you are the wrong one there, as the thread reads "best and worst doormen in town" ... There are posts here about Galway, Kilkenny, Kildare and at no point does it say specifically in Dublin..But a lot of people are from Dublin on boards....that's just the way it is, so of course the majority of replies will be from a Dublin perspective...

If afterhours is so anti-Dublin, why don't you make it the country forum or everywhere outside of dublin afterhours and this forum can be the Dublin afterhours, because that seems to be what you want...but it's ridiculos, what's the point in splitting it?

In the music forum, do threads about Dublin gigs, dublin bands, dublin radio get moved? Cause there's a lot of them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

move this thread back to after hours please or atleast out of dublin

nikolaitr wrote:
    Just to query the Mods moving this thread? Why is it being moved to Dublin...The title of it was "Best and Worst Doormen in Town "...it said in TOWN, not Galway,not Dublin but town,anytown.

I wonder if I wrote about pubs in Galway city would it have been moved?

There seems to be a strong anti-Dublin bias here

The thread is about Dublin bouncers, the OP admitted as much earlier in this thread and any region specific threads would be moved if I (or other mods) see them. There isn't a strong anti-Dublin bias it's just that Cork/Limerick/Galway/etc specific threads don't turn up in AH very often so you don't tend to see them.

Plus, tbh, how can we discuss specific bouncers at specific clubs in any way but from a regional perspective?

DubGuy wrote:
    If afterhours is so anti-Dublin, why don't you make it the country forum or everywhere outside of dublin afterhours and this forum can be the Dublin afterhours, because that seems to be what you want...but it's ridiculos, what's the point in splitting it?

I've an issue with region specific threads in AH, that is all. If we are discussing the upcoming taxi strike and there is a lot of discussion from posters from a Dublin perspective that's cool, but if people want to discuss the Dart being messed up last Thursday it's not. One is national, the other is region specific.
    DubGuy wrote:
    In the music forum, do threads about Dublin gigs, dublin bands, dublin radio get moved? Cause there's a lot of them...

Your point? Politics is moderated very differently to AH, for example. Different forums have different rules and usually different thinking behind them. I'm curious as to why people have such an allergic reaction to threads being moved to this forum. It doesn't make any sense to me, surely you can see the point of all this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

skywalker wrote:
    The nicest Ive ever encountered are one or two of the lads on the door at barcode, always a smile and friendly chat, and looked after a mate of mine when he was in a bad way.

Another vote for the oldschool palace too.

You must work for the 'code then man. Thats the only reason you could hold that opinion!

Favourite Bouncers - the guy who used to work The Big Tree but now does The Grand Central. What a guy. One time I had a friend from the North down for the afternoon. We tried to go in for a drink, and told us it was 21s (I was 19, she was 18), and I asked for a bit of leeway, and then he goes "Ah sure, as long as your not here all night" with a smile! Saved my ass on front of the girl!!!! THANK YOU!!!

Hated bouncers - The Turks Head. Some of those guys are pricks. One night me and 10 of the lads (I know, but we are really just pseudo-lads, we don't go picking fights or other partake in other ladish behaviour) were in the bar part. But to get into the club, we had to leave and take the side door. When we left they only let 5 of us into the club, and the other 5 weren't let back into the bar part :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭^CwAzY^

Flex wrote:
    Never had a problem with doormen at Redz. Q-Bar and Barcode are ok most the time but have their moments. Doormen at Heavan at the Blanchardstown shopping centre are assholes

They r alright they just check EVERYONES id.. hav 2 say the bouncers in barcode are dead sound.. worst 1s imo r in break for the border, arghhh such pricks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

nesf wrote:
    we discuss specific bouncers at specific clubs in any way but from a regional perspective?
    Quite easily since a decent amount of people have travelled and been to clubs outside of Dublin.

Im sure I saw 2-3 non-Dublin posts on this thread before you moved it.

The fact is the only person who made this a Dublin thread was you.

Everyone was quite happily listing their good/bad clubs regardless of location, of course the majority are going to be Dublin - that doesnt mean they all were or were going to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Can't believe two people have praised the bouncers in BarCode, have never had trouble with them myself but have seen plenty of people getting turned away with the line "regulars only", that one really gets on my tits. The place is huge, how are they supposed to know who is and isn't a regular?

Have eben heard of one girl (and I know this is hearsay) whose passport was confiscated because the bouncer reckoned it was a fake - this man was obviously wasted in a career as a doorman and should be working for some anti-terror organisation.

nesf wrote:
    The thread is about Dublin bouncers, the OP admitted as much earlier in this thread and any region specific threads would be moved if I (or other mods) see them. There isn't a strong anti-Dublin bias it's just that Cork/Limerick/Galway/etc specific threads don't turn up in AH very often so you don't tend to see them.

Plus, tbh, how can we discuss specific bouncers at specific clubs in any way but from a regional perspective?

I'm the OP and when did I admit it's about Dublin bouncers, now you are just plain making stuff up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

nikolaitr wrote:
    I'm the OP and when did I admit it's about Dublin bouncers, now you are just plain making stuff up.

Quite true - in fact on the first page you said
    Wherever, doesn't matter......its the stories that matter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Collie D wrote:
    Can't believe two people have praised the bouncers in BarCode, have never had trouble with them myself but have seen plenty of people getting turned away with the line "regulars only", that one really gets on my tits. The place is huge, how are they supposed to know who is and isn't a regular?

Like I said one night a mate was in a bad way and was throwing up all over the place, they were very nice in removing him (didnt just chuck him out on his ass) I was the only one out of our group who noticed him being helped out. They let me go out & see if he was ok, then let me back in to find the other folks. And while I went back in one of them looked after him & got him a glass of water & chatted to him till I got back. I just thought they were all way nicer than they had to be about the situation.

Dunno whether they remember me from that (Id doubt it tbh) but I always get a smile and nice chit chat out of them & cant really say Ive ever seen them treat anyone else any different (although seeing as theres a fair few bouncers there probably are a couple who arent as nice, I just havent encountered them).

nikolaitr wrote:

Sorry, I must have misread your posts. Apologies.

So can we now move this back to the after hours section and forget it ever happened....

Lets stop arguing among ourselves,its exactly what the bouncers want!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

No!
    Don't move it back to afterhours! I'm banned.

The nicest I've come across have probably been The Harp in Swords and Messrs.
    Worst would be Q bar and Doyles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭HJ Simpson

Sorry for me Messers bouncers are the worst. Stopped myself and a friend several years back. It was the first pub of the evening so we were not drunk. Gave us the usual regulars only while allowing in serveral gangs of english lads. Let me in to get others who were already in out. Place was jammed with english "regulars" took my hard earned beer tokens to another pub who were happy to have them.
    On a previous occassion was in there with a work do when one of the group arrived and was refused. He was about 40 so we went out and explained that there was a work do. They didnt want to know so we took our business else where.
    HJS

Thats him!

TOTR!

The acting work must have dried up ;)

• Advertisement

HJ Simpson wrote:
    Sorry for me Messers bouncers are the worst. Stopped myself and a friend several years back. It was the first pub of the evening so we were not drunk. Gave us the usual regulars only while allowing in serveral gangs of english lads. Let me in to get others who were already in out. Place was jammed with english "regulars" took my hard earned beer tokens to another pub who were happy to have them.
    On a previous occassion was in there with a work do when one of the group arrived and was refused. He was about 40 so we went out and explained that there was a work do. They didnt want to know so we took our business else where.
    HJS

Regulars only, the biggest load of bollix I have ever heard. Its the bouncer get out of jail card when he think of fock all else to say or hes just bored and wants to amuse himself. What a load of shoite.

Name me one pub in town that has 'regulars'. If a pub has a regular policy only then they should call it a members club and be done with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement