Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap shotgun ammo.

Options
  • 24-07-2006 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭

Now that I have your attention ;)
    I would just like to relate a story that was told to me by Gunmaker in NE England.

This dealer says that every few years he gets at least one customer coming in with a heavily bandaged hand wanting to sell their guns, the reason is that the cartridge has over pressured in their shotgun and the resulting barrel split takes the three fingers off the hand that holds the foreend.
    The remaining ammunition is tested and all shells found to be OK.
    The cause is noted as firearm malfunction/failure
    But here is the interesting part, they have usually been using cheap ammo, sometimes listed as overruns and priced accordingly.

When a machine is making shells the safe limit is around 17 thousand rounds per day, of course some benefit would be gained by the factory producing a few more, say 20 thousand or so, by running the machine a little faster.
    but powder can only be filled into the transport cup at a finite rate so in order to ensure proper filling of the shell the cup size is made larger so the cup can transport the powder faster.
    This is all good at high speed but when the whistle blows and the machine starts to slow down the oversized powder carrier can fill with an above average charge.
    In order to ensure the safety of their customers the more reputable manufacturers are supposed to destroy the last 200 rounds or so by cutting them open and emptying them out.

This is where the overruns are packaged and sold at a cheap rate.
    An interesting story don't ye think?
    I was reminded of this when I read the post about the heavy recoil that someone experienced from a particular cartridge, Maybe they were lucky?
    He named Eley and Hull Cartridge as being two good brands

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

kinda scary to be honest

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Did anybody see the episode of mythbusters where they were trying to prove the cartoo-style myth of the shotgun exploding in somebody's face cartoon-style?Even with a steel plug welded into the barrel it wouldnt split.Modern shotguns are built to withstand enormous pressures and are unlikely to blow up because a cartridge is overloaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

To be honest it sounds more like someone trying to sell expensive cartridges. In the modern climate of liability, I can't see a manufacturer knowingly sending out dodgy cartridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

I don't know Degsy - Beretta have been caught out by this - info and shocking pics around the net on the bad batch of steel on some of the Sako rifles a while back.
    You can't trust the manufacturers to have 100% quality control - every shotgun and rifle could be an accident waiting to happen - I wouldn't like to find out the hard way by using too hot a load.
    DSC00018.jpg
    Dsc00032.jpg
    Dsc00022.jpg
    DSC00024.jpg

does anyone know was that guy who's rifle blew to pieces, using factory ammo or his own loads??

• Advertisement

It wasn't a one off:

The Finnish hunting rifle manufacturer Sako has recalled nearly 3,000 of its guns with a potential defect that could cause it to break apart when fired. In October, Mark Almeida, a 45-year-old American living in University Place, Washington, suffered injuries to his hand when his new Sako 300 Winchester Short Mag Finnlight model rifle exploded while he was shooting at a firing range.
    "The target was 200 yards away when I pulled the trigger. The gun let out a powerful explosive sound that I had never heard before, and it broke up in my hands", he explains. He was rushed to hospital with four broken bones in his hand. He was in surgery for four hours.
    After the incident, Sako ordered a recall of its series of 2,700 weapons.
    Sako CEO Henry Paasikivi says that a total of six guns are known to have malfunctioned in the same way - one of them in Finland. In one case, a Swedish boy lost the tip of his thumb.
    The barrels would break up lengthwise into several fragments, and in some cases, other parts of the gun also broke. The problem was attributed to a weakness in the stainless steel used in the manufacture. Guns of the series in question were sold to several countries, from the United States to New Zealand, before the defect was noticed.
    All buyers have been notified, and most of the guns have been returned to the factory for repairs or replacement, except for a few in the United States.

The faulty rifles were manufactured at the company's factory in Riihimäki last year. They include Sako and Tikka models.
    When the problems arose, Sako immediately discontinued production and deliveries of the models, and began to recall them from retailers, and contacted individual buyers.
    However, the company did not make any public statements at the time. "We did not consider that necessary, because we were able to reach all owners of the weapons in other ways", he said.
    "We have got all of the guns back, except in the United States, and 90 percent of the weapons we sold there have been located. All consumers have been contacted a long time ago."
    Paasikivi says that the weapons will be repaired, if necessary, and sent back to the owners.

"Weapons will be repaired and sent back to thier owners!"
    No thank you very much AND i'm never gonna buy anything by Sako either!!!!

fair enough it wasn't a one off

Degsy wrote:

but Sako and tikka are owned by beretta

would you never buy a beretta in any way shape or form.

Vegeta wrote:
    but Sako and tikka are owned by beretta

would you never buy a beretta in any way shape or form.

Couldnt afford anything by beretta anyway so its a moot point!

• Advertisement

Degsy wrote:
    Couldnt afford anything by beretta anyway so its a moot point!

fair enough.

EDIT: my semi auto was approx 1500

not too bad for a brand new named brand shotgun

Oh yeah?Well i got my L.I.G. side by side seconhand for 100 quid AND its almost indestructable!

Degsy wrote:
    My Beretta Teknys is back being repaired after a manufacturing/materials fault - it's gone now for longer than I can remember - around 6 months I'd guess :mad:
    They're the worst company I've ever dealt with and I have to say that although the Beretta/Sako/Tikka distributers (Ardee) here in Ireland are grand to talk to on the phone - at the same time they do f**k all to help.

Avoid like the plague!!!!!!!!!!!!

That said I got a T3 recently :rolleyes: in stainless :rolleyes: :rolleyes: and I do think the Teknys is worth waiting for - but the customer service at all levels - gun dealer - distributer - manufacturer is brutal.

Degsy wrote:
    Oh yeah?Well i got my L.I.G. side by side seconhand for 100 quid AND its almost indestructable!

oh yeah??? my ma makes better dinners than your ma :p

Only messin, yeah i see where you're coming from. I had a cheap semi auto and I bought a side by side but couldn't hit sh1te with it so i went back to the semi autos, i will probably never sell this gun as i really really like it.

Might even get passed on to my kids. If i had any

I was out shooting clays the other day and i couldnt hit **** with the expensive O/U..my trusty side by side broke them there clays like you wouldnt beleive..i guess its just what you're used to handling.

thelurcher wrote:
    My Beretta Teknys is back being repaired after a manufacturing/materials fault - it's gone now for longer than I can remember - around 6 months I'd guess :mad:
    They're the worst company I've ever dealt with and I have to say that although the Beretta/Sako/Tikka distributers (Ardee) here in Ireland are grand to talk to on the phone - at the same time they do f**k all to help.

Avoid like the plague!!!!!!!!!!!!

That said I got a T3 recently :rolleyes: in stainless :rolleyes: :rolleyes: and I do think the Teknys is worth waiting for - but the customer service at all levels - gun dealer - distributer - manufacturer is brutal.

FFS pretty much the ONE thing that you dont want anything going wrong with is a firearm,now it seems this company have a slew of problems combined with bad custommer srvice.To hell with them,it doesnt sound worth the hassle.

Well i got my L.I.G. side by side seconhand for 100 quid AND its almost indestructable

Not to pour cold water on your happiness, but older inexpensive Spanish dbbl's wouldn't be anywhere near the top of my safety/reliability list.

civdef wrote:
    Not to pour cold water on your happiness, but older inexpensive Spanish dbbl's wouldn't be anywhere near the top of my safety/reliability list.

In what way?

Dodgy choice of steel in some cases means they can wear easily, sears, lugs and so forth (barrels less often), becoming loose and prone to going bang at unexpected intervals.

civdef wrote:
    Dodgy choice of steel in some cases means they can wear easily, sears, lugs and so forth (barrels less often), becoming loose and prone to going bang at unexpected intervals.

Mine is built like an elephant gun,it weighs a ton and seems to be very well made.There's no wear or loose parts that i can see and i've stripped it to the bone and checked it over.On saturday alone i put 250 cartridges through it,and it still seems to be fine.

• Advertisement

Fair play, sounds like you got a good one.

civdef wrote:
    Fair play, sounds like you got a good one.

I got it from Chopperdog,he's a trustworthy chap imo.

Advertisement