Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Office & Single Parent

Options
  • 24-07-2006 10:27pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've a friend moving to Ireland from Iceland with her daughter in August.

I posted a thread accomidation looking for some areas where she would be able to stay and Victor suggested that I check out the International Office and who ever deals with single parents.

So just wondering how do you contact these and what kind of services do they offer?

I checked the UCD website but I couldnt find much information.

Any one else here an interntaionl student and single parent who might be able to give some advie?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

International Office Contact Details

Some childcare details here

Ring IO and they will point you in the right direction. But tbh, wouldn't have thought u'd get too many international students bringing kids with them (at least as sole parent). But hopefully someone can help her with her queries.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Thanks for the links.

Victor gave me a few as well.

My firend is a lone parent so I dont think she has much choice to bring her daughter and even if she had the choice I think she would still bring her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

She can also email the welfare officer Barry Colfur for information about the creche.
    suwelfare@ucd.ie

Also Carl Lusby is the student advisor for international students.Some people find her helpful,others not,but it would be worth giving her a ring anyway.
    Phone:+ 353-1-716-1701

Just because you have a child doesnt mean it should impede your education.There are lots of people in my class with kids and they cope just fine.If I was her I would look for accomodation around the clonskeagh area as it is close to UCD ,the creche and there is quite a bit of affordable accomodation usually around that area.

Looking forward to seeing her in september:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

panda100 wrote:
    Just because you have a child doesnt mean it should impede your education.
    Agreed. I would just think it's unusual for an international student to bring a kid with them. It can be daunting enough for Irish students doing it in UCD, and they have the backup of family close by often. To be coming from another country must surely be even more difficult.

But fairplay to her. I hope she gets the support she needs and deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Hear, hear. It's a refreshing change to see people taking life on like that, despite whatever circumstances they're in. All the best to her.

Oh, and the welfare guy's surname is spelt Colfer (;)), and his office phone is 01 716 3112.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Thanks for all the info and I'll pass it on to her.

Advertisement