Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query on planning retention

Options
  • 24-07-2006 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

In the middle of converting an attic, I decided that I needed extra head space in one of the rooms I'm creating so I asked the builder to put in a dormer. It'll look great and is slated both sides with a triangle shaped window facing out. I also changed the layout of the Veluxes.
    The new Veluxes and the dormer weren't on the original planning permission (its part of a bigger job) so can anyone advise on how (or whether) I should proceed to apply for retention.
    I paid a guy to carry out the first planning permission application, but I'm loath to pay him again for a small change.
    BTW, the builder said there'd be no problem so he has gone ahead and made the dormer. It's all at the rear of the house and there are already dormers on some of these houses, so I can't see it being a problem for planning.
    Questions:
    I know that the dormer needs pp, but can I alter the Veluxes without it or should I mention these on the retention application?
    Does applying for retention take longer or cost more than the original application?
    Thanking you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,418 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

In what way were the velux windows changed, moved to the side slighty or were new windows added altogether.
    If you has already started you'll need retention.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

If the original positions of the velux were part of the original planning permission, then the new position should be shown on the retention. It is better to do it now than have to apply again if you ever decide to sell. Solicitors would insist on this before any contracts can be exchanged. I know you might say you have no intention of ever selling, but never say never.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

afaik you can put veluxes into the rear of your roof without planning permission so i don't see why you would need a new application just because you changed their position

you probably do need pp for the dormer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,142 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Get the whole thing sorted now and be done with it. Make your application for retention of both the dormer and veluxes. It wont cost any more to pay the planning fee - a fixed €102. The application will take no longer than the first one

You could however ring the local planning dept. and ask to speak to the planner who dealt with your original application and see if they would consider it as being a minor amendment, that way you would avoid a planning application but it is unlikely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

muffler wrote:
    Get the whole thing sorted now and be done with it. Make your application for retention of both the dormer and veluxes. It wont cost any more to pay the planning fee - a fixed €102. The application will take no longer than the first one

You could however ring the local planning dept. and ask to speak to the planner who dealt with your original application and see if they would consider it as being a minor amendment, that way you would avoid a planning application but it is unlikely though.

Go in tomorrow and sort that out ASAP. Pretend u werent aware. A Dormer addition would be regarded as a big change to a house.
    Good idea above to try and speak to a planner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dervlab

Thanks for the feedback.
    I spoke to a guy in the planning dept today and it sounds positive.
    Here's hoping it gets the okay without objections.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Sorry for thread hi-jacking here!,

Just building at the moment and I am considering converting the attic space. I will be putting in three velux windows to the rear of the house and I was thinking of putting in some windows on the gables of the attic space to allow more light into the rooms upstairs. I am hoping to get the block layer to start in the the next week or so so I dont really have time to apply for permission and if I cant get retention on these changes I think I'll do without. I was just wondering what people have applied for on retention before. i.e. What can you typically get away with on rentention planning?

Would be greatful of some advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Salmon
    Get the block layer to lay the block work and put in lintels as for windows anyway.

If you dont get the pp sorted before you finish the house, lay blocks in the opes afterwards, or get him to lay out the joints so you won't have to cut the blocks - just mortar joints. That way there's no structural implications for modifying the wall, afterwards.........

But you will need PP for the windows - they don't like windows in gables, on upper floors, generally..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement