Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Metal

• 24-07-2006 11:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone have any good black metal tips? The more obscure the better (not for any reason other than I'm familiar with all the usual suspects).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Nargaroth - Quite entertaining
    Sigh- Excellent
    Anorexia Nervosa - French Black Metal outfit, very good.
    Meads of Asphodel - Not traditional Black Metal, but the eastern edge is really interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Quick response! Cheers.

I'm bored and idling, what can I say? :p Those are some good recommendations. I entirely recommend Anorexia Nervosa though, and you can thank Undergod for introducing me. They're absolutely stunning. Pick of that bunch for me anyway. Just threw them on actually since you put them in my mind. :)

Cool. I was listening to a load of black metal today and decided I needed something new in that realm. Any particular release with Anorexia Nervosa that you'd recommend?

I only have New Obscurantis Order. They have two other albums to the best of my knowlege anyway, probably more. I don't know about the others, but there's orchestral support on New Obscurantis Order that, were it missing on other albums, would be sadly missed in my opinion, so try that maybe? It's kinda like a tR00 version of Arcturus in some respects. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

black metal tends to get bad press even in the extreme underground metal scene, because of the overt satanism and corpse paint, but i love it, just because the genre is so varied.

from bnrmetal.com
    Black metal finds its roots in bands such as Venom and Bathory, and is often characterized by an inherently evil tone and a raspy vocal style (Quorthon of Bathory may or may not be the originator of this vocal style, but once you've heard him, many black metal vocalists will sound very similar to him, for what that's worth). The earlier bands focused on minimal instrumentation, as represented by Darkthrone, early Mayhem, and older Immortal, while another group of bands explored a more symphonic, keyboard-driven style (Emperor, Cradle Of Filth, Dimmu Borgir) and still others have migrated towards an eclectic, avant-garde direction (Arcturus, new Mayhem). Norway continues to be the primary exporter of black metal bands, though other countries have contributed some quality bands as well.

i think Bathory is a must listen(like Death is to death metal), as above Quorthon pratically invented the genre. im not a huge fan of the symphonic sub genre and yet i find Emperor extemely compelling. a lot of modern day black metal bands play a more kinda thrashy punk groove-laden kinda black metal(the new darkthrone, carpathian forest). there's also a really great(but small) british bm scene, check out bands like anaal nathrakh & meads of asphodel.

as for personal reccomendations, as well as the bands already mentioned above:
    negura bunget
    rotting christ
    gorgoroth
    keep of kalessin
    enslaved
    early opeth

and many more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I think you can't go wrong with Enslaved, as Herobear mentioned, but these I'm just not listening to any new Black Metal.

Thanks herobear but I know what black metal is :)

Got Opeth well covered and recently got some Enslaved stuff. Gorgoroth is some cool **** too. I'll check out the rest, wallet won't be happy but **** it!

And I'll throw in my own recommendation here with Leviathan (especially the Tentacles of Whorror album).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭wanwarlock

enslaved - all
    dodheimsgard - 666 international
    sigh - all
    rotting christ - the old albums esp. thy mighty contract
    varathron - his majesty at the swamp, both RC and varathron have the 'greek black metal' sound, and yes they're both greek bands
    dissection - old albums, not new one, i love the track 'where dead angels lie'
    ancient rites - all
    behemoth - all
    nokturnal mortum - ukranian bm band, with nationalistic views apparently
    old man's child - all esp the pagan prosperity
    kalmah - are they bm??
    gorgoroth
    sorhin
    carpathian forrest
    ulver
    watain

try and find a band called kvist, brilliant band! they only have 1 album though.

most of the bands here are from the nineties, when i 1st heard of bm and all the church burnings and euronymous' death etc etc and loved (can i use that to describe bm?? :) ) the music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Agent Steel

Macabre Omen - The Ancient Returns

A must have. Midhir Records or Sentinel Records should have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Wolves In The Throne Room.

Think you might dig them, John.

I don't know their website, but I'm sure your Google-Fu is advanced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

a distant sun

I like the new wave of Ukrainian folk/black metal bands:

Drudkh
    Evroklidon
    Kroda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Averse Sefira, Vesania, Vokodlok, Bethlehem, Aura Noir, Blut Aus Nord, Drudkh, Deathspell Omega, Borknagar (earlier), Ephel Duath (not really BM anymore, but still brilliant), Finntroll, Asmegin, Kekal, Satyricon (anything BEFORE Rebel Extravaganza), Ragnarok, Thorns, Xasthur.

They're all pretty much great.

Anorexia Nervosa actually have eight releases. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anorexia_Nervosa_(band)

Also, I forgot 1349, stunning act.

Ancient1 wrote:
    Wolves In The Throne Room.

Think you might dig them, John.

I already do dig them ;)

*fetches pen and paper*

I'm going to take a list of this stuff as I'm heading to Poland next week, friends from Gdansk and Warsaw will be able to point out some decent metal shops for when I visit. I imagine the range will be better than here (and cheaper too)

Speaking of Poland, check out www.metalopolis.pl - great mailorder company.

If you're looking for "local" bands like Vader and Behemoth etc, they're very cheap. Be careful what shipping option you select though, the cheapest one is the "standard" shipping. Airmail will cost you as much as the CD itself.

What, 7 minutes after I posted that?

Damn you're trigger happy. :p

I try. ;) Also, honourable mention for Impaled Northern Moonforest. ;)

• Advertisement

Great site, thanks Ancient!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

I used to be veery into BM I'd recommend Gorgoroth too so satanic :p
    and...
    Emperor
    Darkthrone [Love them for their lyrics and album artwork]
    Taake

But above all

Vintersorg and Borknagar [vintersorg was the lead vocalist for Borknagar but has his own band too, great lyrics]
    Check out ''Future Reminiscence'' by Borknagar they used to have it up on their main site ...not sure if it's there anymore it's more folk than satanic if that makes any sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Agent Steel

Check out http://www.midhirrecords.com/ for cheap Black Metal CD's. They're Irish too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Treebeard

I'd recommend Ildjarn if you're not already familiar with him. It's kinda like the primative Bathory/Darkthrone kind of thing only a bit more abstract. I believe Samoth and Ihsahn played in the band before Emperor took off. Burzum are also highly recommended

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Harkokin and Asmodeus would probably be the best BM Im currently listening to, definately recommend them, Anaal Nathrakh are also worth a listen. Dissecton are also excellent, not very evil, infact downright hillariously cheesey and loving to sing about dragons way too much, but still a really good band and worth looking into (for a giggle even if you dont like the music).

Pugsley wrote:
    Dissecton are also excellent, not very evil, infact downright hillariously cheesey and loving to sing about dragons way too much, but still a really good band and worth looking into

“Not very evil”? The lead singer got convicted for murder. Hmmmmm

Treebeard wrote:
    Bathory

Completely forgot yeah they're definitely worth it

I forgot about Satyricon too

Haha, Fuel for hatred do do do dooodoooodooodoo what a song :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

T&#225 wrote: »
    “Not very evil”? The lead singer got convicted for murder. Hmmmmm
    Didnt know that, well the music isnt very evil :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Kivun Sotilas

My first post on this forum.. Here are a few of my recommendations. I'll post more when I think of them.
    My absolute faves are in bold.

Abruptum (NOR) - Obscuritatem Advoco Amplectére Me
    Abyssic Hate (AUS) - Suicidal Emotions
    Arcturus (NOR) - Aspera Hiems Symfonia (though I like all their cds even the weird ones)
    Beherit (FIN) - Drawing Down The Moon
    Bethlehem (GER) - Dictius Te Necare
    Burzum (NOR) - Aske, Det Som Engang, Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, Filosofem
    Black Crucifixion (FIN) - Faustian Dream (new album)
    Clandestine Blaze (FIN) - Night of the Unholy Flames
    Forgotten Woods (NOR) - EVERYTHING!
    Frost (Uk) - Talking To God or Filthy Black **** (Mick Kenney of Anaal Nathrahks other band)
    Graveland (POL) - In The Glare of Burning Churches
    I Shalt Become - (USA) Wanderings
    Ildjarn (NOR) - Forest Poetry and Landscapes are my fav.
    Mayhemic Truth - (GER) In Memoriam
    Myrddraal (AUS) - Falling Sky
    Nargaroth (GER) - Herbstleyd, Amarok and Black Metal Ist Kreig
    Naxzul (AUS) - Black Seed
    Necromantia (GRE) - Crossing The Fiery Path
    Nehemah - Light Of A Dead Star
    Veles (POL) - Night On The Bare Mountain

• Advertisement

Beherit (FIN) - Drawing Down The Moon

OOOoooh memories all coming back forgot completely about Beherit. That's an unreal album too I must have a root around for it... :p

Advertisement