Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Metal

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I always thought "noise" was the worst noise ever... :D

Tut tut! You need to get some Merzbow in you! Stat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

sorry to insult your intelligence lads but i have to ask an age-old question from an outsider of sorts... what the fook is the difference between black and death metal? aside, of course, from the obvious darkness associated the black metal... always wondered and tend to be quite open about music genres but nothings ever swept me away in the black metal scene (in terms of death metal i don't wander far from the pales of opeth, though they are almost a genre unto themselves)
    well broadly:

black is badly produced, easy to play, and screeching
    death is technical, and growling

or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

sorry to insult your intelligence lads but i have to ask an age-old question from an outsider of sorts... what the fook is the difference between black and death metal? aside, of course, from the obvious darkness associated the black metal... always wondered and tend to be quite open about music genres but nothings ever swept me away in the black metal scene (in terms of death metal i don't wander far from the pales of opeth, though they are almost a genre unto themselves)

You certainly don't insult anyone's intelligence by asking such a question.

Still, Black Metal is one of the hardest genres to descibe. Here, have a look at this, should give you an idea of what BM sounds like.

Hmm, one way you could put it is that comparing Death Metal and Black Metal is like comparing Thrash and Punk, if you follow. So while in Death you've got a lot of extreme technical musicianship, Black is much more simple. Then again, there's Emperor, who are extremely complex and technical. Like I said, very hard to describe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭slssprite

I always thought "noise" was the worst noise ever...

well that noise is a good thing...in its own way though...

almighty wiki knows everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭mrhydeandseek

oh don't be silly...

wow ritual of power is wicked! guitar could do with being a bit less "thin sounding" or something, but i'm listening on laptop speakers which isn't helping...

the whole whispering ambience is very good though...

• Advertisement

Tut tut! You need to get some Merzbow in you! Stat!
    I have been a power electronics artist for more than 10 years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Are you referring to the Australian Urgrund? Another very good band I have seen live many times. Satanic Warmaster is one I forgot to add too.

Yep, the only Urgrund if I'm correct. Class band, wouldnt mind seeing them, along with Sigrblot.
    Aye, Satanic Warmaster are excellent.

Also, Watain, have a look into them John2.They're playing in london soon enough with Antaeus. Heading over for a gander myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Kivun Sotilas

Dathai wrote:
    Yep, the only Urgrund if I'm correct. Class band, wouldnt mind seeing them, along with Sigrblot.
    Aye, Satanic Warmaster are excellent.

Also, Watain, have a look into them John2.They're playing in london soon enough with Antaeus. Heading over for a gander myself :)

When are they playing in London? I think we'd been keen to check that out too. I only have a dodgy copy of the Sigrblot cd from a mate but I think it's pretty good. Did they have other demos or something released before it? I couldn't find anything about them if they did.

They've an album on invictus, called Blodsband. Ive it on now, great album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Kivun Sotilas

Dathai wrote:
    They've an album on invictus, called Blodsband. Ive it on now, great album.

Yeah that is the one I "have" also just wondered if they had any other recordings though.

• Advertisement

As far as I know, theres only compilations that they've appeared on, and a demo.
    Great band anyways.

When are they playing in London? I think we'd been keen to check that out too. I only have a dodgy copy of the Sigrblot cd from a mate but I think it's pretty good. Did they have other demos or something released before it? I couldn't find anything about them if they did.

I'd like to go there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I'm just back from my holidays and found out that Mayhem played Warsaw while I was there, bummer!

I heard Attilla is back with them.Wouldnt mind seeing them play here with him on vocals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Apparently a new album out at the end of the year with Attila. I hope it lives up to my expectations.

Advertisement