Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing cars from Japan?

Options
  • 24-07-2006 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anybody here has used this japaneseusedcars to import a car from japan.
    If you did:
    What did you think of them.
    Cost break down after purchas price of the car and how long did shipping take?

Also do you know of any other similar sites?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Fredrick

So far so good mate. Bought a 98 SS3 Beams Celica grade 4 from them 4 weeks ago its arriving next monday. There probably one of the best sites IMO. The site is really user friendly and the reps are very helpful and prompt in there replies. I will probably save around 1500 to 2k going on the prices there going for in autotrader and others will let you know how i get on. Here's the thread that kicked things off for me :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=294651&referrerid=59211&highlight=japaneseusedcars

Here's a pic of the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 zonemelt

Anyone ever bought a non jap car from www.japaneseusedcars.com?

I saw lots of mercs, BMWS, audis etc for sale at apparently very good prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 BarneyMac

Thing about buying a Jap import is that you've no way of knowing if it's been on it's roof over in Nagasaki at some stage...though in general the Japs tend to look after their cars better than us and they're usually higher spec too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

before importing just know this...

Price of car + 11% vat duty + 21% vat + agent fees(€1,000) + shipping(€700) + VRT(25% of market value if engine under 3ltr, 33% if over 3ltr)

And you haven't even seen the car yet..... you'll save money but you gotta know if it's really worth it. Also, do you know anyone who can read a japanese auction sheet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 zonemelt

I understand that I need to pay price + import + duty + VAT + VRT + a church donation of 110%, that wasn't my question

My question was has anyone ever bought a non-japanese car from this site?

• Advertisement

ARGINITE wrote:
    Just wondering if anybody here has used this japaneseusedcars to import a car from japan.
    If you did:
    What did you think of them.
    Cost break down after purchas price of the car and how long did shipping take?

Also do you know of any other similar sites?

Thanks.
    actually part of the original question was about price! - this is what I replied to so don't be snotty and read the posts first!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

So it would work out at about the same price after all that :(

ARGINITE wrote:
    So it would work out at about the same price after all that :(
    no not neccesaraly, what type of car are you looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

In the process of getting a 97 Golf GLI Wagon from Japan-Partner, waiting a week for an invoice, I might start looking on japaneseusedcars instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Honda Integra type R DC5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Fredrick

Collected the car yesterday was just as expected very happy so far, only thing the battery was dead which is normal i believe and there wasn't a drop of juice in it, had to go and buy a 5 ltr can and jump leads, then i had trouble with the VRT place in santry drove over in my van with the documents and a wad of cash, walked in the door and a big sign saying they don't accept cash since last month, fair enough theres a bank down the road then the girl says she needs to see the car which was back at the docks :eek: anyway i drove it up to the tallaght vrt office this morning with no plates but insured surprisingly, went in and the girl says na your alright don't need to see it because the customs done there bit, doh! Other than that i'd recommend doin the private import thing, but it is a risk none the less! Haven't met anybody yet who was screwed and i know a few who have done it. :)

ARGINITE wrote:
    You'll get one cheap through importing, there's a lot of them out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 daveball

Hi saw ur post and was wondering if you were happy with the car.
    I have bought a 02 yaris for my wife from http://www.ibcjapan.co.jp and its costing me 4200 euro shipped and another 1600 vrt, what other costs are there and what do u think ill end up paying, cheers , happy driving

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

daveball wrote:
    Hi saw ur post and was wondering if you were happy with the car.
    I have bought a 02 yaris for my wife from http://www.ibcjapan.co.jp and its costing me 4200 euro shipped and another 1600 vrt, what other costs are there and what do u think ill end up paying, cheers , happy driving

How long does it take for them to deliver it once it's bought from auction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

steve06 wrote:
    before importing just know this...

Price of car + 11% vat duty + 21% vat + agent fees(€1,000) + shipping(€700) + VRT(25% of market value if engine under 3ltr)
    Im looking at a 1.5 civic on japaneseusedcars. the car is 1464.61 euros(220,000 yen). how much would it all be at the end of the day to import it over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Have bought many cars from IBc in japan. The only time i have had any trouble was when paperwork was delayed. Car sat on docks a couple of days. No Stereo no dump valveno sti light covers and no one will take responsibility.
    Another cost is the fee for the docks + fee to customs clearence agent (if you use one). Personally have used MCC customs brokers many times with no trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Kaos Theory

I bought my car from japaneseusedcars.com and have to say they're a really good bunch, they even cancelled a couple of my bids because after their agents inspected the car prior to auction they thought I was getting screwed.

Took two months from the time I bought it to it landing on the docks, dunno if thats the usual time or if I'd just missed the previous boat and had to wait for the next one. Didn't mind, as it gave me plenty of time to sort myself out wrt VRT & VAT & everything that needs to be done before you can put the car on the road.

Watch out though, I've heard some horror stories about how the lads on the docks treat the cars when they come in, my own car had its clutch wrecked despite the fact it drove onto the boat fine in Japan. Other lads have had bits go missing off the cars they bring in and cars that were perfect leaving Japan are suddenly scratched and dented.

Kaos

Hi I saw your topic on ibc cars in japan, I have just bought a 04 yaris/vitz from them.
    can u tell me about the vrt import tax and vat,
    do you pay the vat on the price that u payed for the car including the shipping and is the percentage including the import tax, thanks appreciate if u coulld help me on this

Hi I saw your topic on ibc cars in japan, I have just bought a 04 yaris/vitz from them.
    can u tell me about the vrt import tax and vat,
    do you pay the vat on the price that u payed for the car including the shipping and is the percentage including the import tax, thanks appreciate if u coulld help me on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 viccirc

Fredrick,

Have been in touch with Tony from japaneseusedcars.com - very informative and quick with replies.

Your post on sorting the VRT was interesting - esp on jump leads.

Have also posted on another thread about having the car insured while going from docks to VRO to sort the VRT? Who is / was your insurer? What did they say when you asked? Asked the broker and the initial answer was doubt it without having a reg number...

Any info is appreciated.

Victor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

ARGINITE wrote:
    I would love to import one of these but does anyone know how much a 2001 type r would cost inc vrt etc.
    How much would this cost in dublin - Hope someone can help that has some experience.
    http://www.japaneseusedcars.com/auction/auctions3_limited_time.htm

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 XenonMan

Guys any body knows any sites in Japan selling motor bikes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭sticky9cd

If you brought the car into northern Ireland and give a northern address, you wont get custon charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

sticky9cd wrote:
    If you brought the car into northern Ireland and give a northern address, you wont get custon charges?

Talk about digging up an old thread, but you'll have to pay customs to the UK not Ireland. You have to pay it on any car from outside the EU and it doesn't matter what country you bring it into.

Don't forget it wasn't that long ago that all the 2nd hand car transports had to dock in Ireland lower the ramps and drive the cars off and back on to beat the UK import restrictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I think in the past some Irish dealers/importers were importing Jap cars into UK first then registering them there and then importing them to Ireland and VRT'ing them as UK imports, Revenue now ask if the vehicle was originally a Jap car so they can load more tax onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

@OP - it'll take around 5-6 weeks to get in
    steve06 wrote:
    Also, do you know anyone who can read a japanese auction sheet?

It's not difficult to see the exterior condition from the auction sheet. If you have a good agent they will check the condition of the rest.
    BarneyMac wrote:
    Thing about buying a Jap import is that you've no way of knowing if it's been on it's roof over in Nagasaki at some stage...

If it's been rolled your going to see either crashed or replaced panels on the auction sheet.
    Fredrick wrote:
    i'd recommend doin the private import thing, but it is a risk none the less! Haven't met anybody yet who was screwed and i know a few who have done it. :)

A lad over on RH seems to have been screwed recently, id personally get someone else to sort it for the peace of mind.

Advertisement