Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dating etiquette query

• 24-07-2006 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

ok so i met this guy last week, friend of a mutual friend. got on great, ended up kissing and swopping numbers. this guy is really nice and also a bit of a hottie. anyway we've been texting for a couple of days, nothing too exciting, fairly pedestrian. my query is; should i suggest a date or wait for him to bring it up. i don't want to come across as aggressive, and on the other end don't want to get locked into this ping pong texting issue either.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Bite the bullet and suggest one. Just say do you want to meet up sometime. Its always good when the other person asks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Just text him casually saying something like what you up to on (whatever day) and if he says nothing say you wanna meet up for (Insert whatever floats your boat here) always works for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭miss_gonzo

In my experience, being a little modest and coy pays off. I dont mean to suggest the man always has to make the move, but....well...in the intial stages of dating, you gotta provide a bit of a challenge you know? if it does get to the "ping pong" stage, then def make the move....you dont want things to get stagnant. good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Oh bollócks to that... If you want to see him again, send him a text or give him a call, whatever. Where's the sense in acting "coy" or whatever? It's just dumb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Got to agree with seb there. Acting coy and stereotypically girly is pointless. If you want to see him again ask him. If you don't...don't!

Don't be something you're not to try and get him to ask you out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

SebtheBum wrote:
    Oh bollócks to that... If you want to see him again, send him a text or give him a call, whatever. Where's the sense in acting "coy" or whatever? It's just dumb.

Agreed, ring him and enough of this dilly dallying.:D I'm sure he will love the fact that you are taking the initiative and won't see it as aggressive. Don't leave it up the men, we are a forgetful, lazy sort (some of us). :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

say your going to a said club with friends and equire if he also might be there, thats a good one to use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

People only EVER want what they can't have or what is hard to get - just make sure you don't put yourself out there too soon, he should come after you I think... my 2 cents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If you like someone why would you play games with them?

Just ask him out ffs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

say your going to a said club with friends and equire if he also might be there, thats a good one to use
    Might be a good approach.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Have to say I'm not a fan of that approach. Basically it's an invite for sex and very little else. If the OP actually likes the guy I'd suggest inviting him out on their own rather than tagging all their friends along...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ari

thanks for all the advice guys. i'd have to say i'm not a fan of the whole club thing cos basically getting hammered/niteclub scene was what happened the first nite we met so i don't want to get into a dating pattern of that.
    ahh i dunno what to do...should i text him this eve suggesting something vague? or tmrw suggesting something def for thurs/fri or just ring him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Why not mention that you will be in town one of the evenings to do a few things and suggest meeting up for coffee ?
    That way you are not going to in just to meet with him and if things go well he can tag a long with you and if they don't well you have to go get things done.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Agree with Sleepy.....
    Guys do not get the games that women play.
    Being coy will get you nowhere.

Suggest meeting up with the guy for coffee some afternoon/evening- if you are serious about him.

Just remember- guys do not pick up on hints and things- be honest and open and be yourself.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

a few months ago i would of believed being coy would be the way to go but ive noticed now far too many people drift apart and get into stupid messes because of it. i think you should just ask him out but u can make it sound like ur doing sumthing already and he can come along if he wants :).
    A girl putting herself out too much i find a bit of a turn off, just a little, but been to "far" and i just assume they are not interested. fine line...
    if u ask him out now and have fun just dont get into the habit of always being the one to ask him out, being the only one tats "trying" can lead to a bit of resentment.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

miss_gonzo wrote:
    you gotta provide a bit of a challenge you know?

Why?
    I never, ever got this. It's a crock of sh!t imo. But then again I detest game playing and I blame all those stupid womens mags etc.. for filling silly girls heads with crap that they actually end up believing works.
    If you like some one, ask them out for a drink, if they like you, they'll go. Plain and simple.
    should i text him this eve suggesting something vague

You should ring him up and ask if he'd like to go out for a drink on Thurs/Fri night, if he's interested, he'll accept and you'll know one way or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Strokesfan wrote:
    People only EVER want what they can't have or what is hard to get - just make sure you don't put yourself out there too soon, he should come after you I think... my 2 cents

no they dont - that's a generalisation based on your experience and how you opperate.

if you send out confusing signals he wont have a clue what's going on. no games. get to the point. ask him out for a casual drink, and there you go - BOOM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

What do you want to do?

Figure it out and then just do it. Believe it or not people, there is no etiquette. Its all down to personal choice.

K-

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Beruthiel wrote:

You should ring him up and ask if he'd like to go out for a drink on Thurs/Fri night, if he's interested, he'll accept and you'll know one way or another.

humm good point, but if he's shy that could put him on the spot, freak him a bit, he sounds shy

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

humm good point, but if he's shy that could put him on the spot, freak him a bit, he sounds shy

Ya
    He maybe shy, but that doesn't mean he's stupid.

• Advertisement

thanks for the advice everyone. i've decided to be proactive and float out the idea of meeting up. nothing ventured nothing gained, so if it turns out well all good, but if not, it won't be the end of the world
    i'll keep you posted
    :)

so i was all geared up to text the boy earlier, when he rang so im seeing him fri....everyone's advice sheds some interesting light on male/female dating perceptions tho

Advertisement