Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splitting cost of bringing up child with ex partner

Options
  • 24-07-2006 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

My 13 year old son has been living alone with me for 1 year with my ex partner having moved abroad. During this time I have borne all costs. My ex has now started working full time and we're trying to work out maintenace costs. I have suggested that we simply split the entire costs of bringing up our son whereas my ex has suggested the figure of €135 per month and we split monthly air tickets between us. This seems like a very small sum to me.
    I'm wondering if anyone has any advice, sugestions or experiences on this kind of situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

First of all maintenance is based on each parents income and expenditure; have a look at www.solo.ie - there is an excellent spread sheet on how to calculate maintenance.

Also once you have agreed maintenance, it is a good idea to have it made the subject of a court order; the process is fairly straight forward. Once you have a court order you will find it useful in regards to SW (should your partner ever need to claim that) and also in regards to loans etc., as you can declare it as income.

It also means that come the day the maintenance isn't paid (and unfortunately this happens all to often) it is easier to enforce payment if you already have a court order.

You may already know this, but you can claim additional tax credits (see www.revenue.ie) and depending on your work situation may be able to claim FIS and/or a medical card (www.welfare.ie).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

I am sure you are doing a wonderful job raising your son yourself but you may find as he gets older he might not want to be travel between the 2 of you every month. Perhaps better to go for longer less often, in the school holidays perhaps.

It is good that you can discuss these issues your ex. My ex has been off sick for years with "depression" because I left him. He hasn't paid a cent to me or his 2 children for 4 years. Kildrought is right, getting it all sorted officially with a court order it will be better in the long run. 135 Euro doesn't sound a lot but there will be extra benefits you are entitled to. Who knows child benefit might even go up again soon :)

Advertisement