Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spraoi v's Hurling Semi Final

• 25-07-2006 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

It'll be a strange spraoi this year with Cork and Waterford heading for Dublin on the same weekend!!
    Given the number of Waterford hurling fans that will travel away, and the number of visitors we'll miss out on, will Spraoi be a much quieter affair this year!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Is the match on the Sunday of the Spraoi?
    I seriously hope that a dozen bus loads of pissed up GAA fans aren't going to arrive into the middle of the festivities. Could get messy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Roen wrote:
    Is the match on the Sunday of the Spraoi?
    I seriously hope that a dozen bus loads of pissed up GAA fans aren't going to arrive into the middle of the festivities. Could get messy.

According to this its on sunday 6th August..
    http://www.gaa.ie/page/guinness_shc_2006_fixtures.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I doubt Spraoi is too happy about it! Lol.

Then again, there's a whole weekend of Spraoi.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

TV Honan was on WLRfm yesterday morning discussing this item. He maintained that they would have plans in place if this happens( which looks nailed on at this stage)

He said that he would be in a position to give out the details within the next 48hrs. He needs to talk to their partners, Guarda, and Corporation. He said that Sunday's events would be moved about over the whole weekend and NOT cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Shellie13

This breaks my heart!
    If spraoi were smart (and ohso nice) they should broadcast the match live from john roberts square...

are theyre any nice spraoi people on boards?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Why? Spraoi is always on the same date, and there'll be a lot of people there with no interest in the match!!!

Besides, most of the pubs will have it on! I'd much prefer some stage act than a screen! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭deisemum

Miriam Dunne of Sproai was on wlrfm earlier today and said they're moving some of the acts (music I think) from 2pm to 5pm, I'm not sure if they're putting up a big screen as I didn't hear all of the interview. They are starting the parade a bit later at 10pm and fireworks after.

If the roads are closed can you just imagine the supporters trying to get back to Waterford, even those who'd want to be back in time for the parade, it will be crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Large screens should be the norm for these sort of events in the height of summer in the centre of cities and towns. They pulled it off to great success in Limerick with the rugby, and I've seen it in every (Waterford sized) neighbourhood in Berlin for the World Cup.

You could have some party after a match shown in JR square on a big screen. Add a temporary bar, some plastic seating, a modicum of supervision and it could be a great thing. :) Costs to be recouped from beer and hot dog stands. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭deisemum

That's a great idea. I hope they do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

lads ye might as well enjoy spraoi becuase Cork are going to hammer the ****e out of ye
    000028220c1m.jpg
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

This will be the first time I havent been in the Spraoi parade for about 8 years. Was looking forward to it as well, my costume was 'very tight and revealing' lol. Its a great pity, but I couldnt miss a match. Spraoi's preference was to move the parade to Monday but unfortunately the Gardai had some issues with this.

On the plus side it will be nice to be able to watch the parade for once!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Shellie13 wrote:
    This breaks my heart!
    If spraoi were smart (and ohso nice) they should broadcast the match live from john roberts square...

are theyre any nice spraoi people on boards?!

Any idea how much those screens cost? Spraoi is on a v tight budget as it is. I agree though, broadcasting the match on a big screen would be great, now if only some the businesses would put some money back into the city and sponsor it!

Advertisement