Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spiky hair and diamond ear studs???

• 25-07-2006 12:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed this new 'fashion' going around??

Lads with shaven hair at the side, spiky in the middle, and wearing a square diamond earing in the left ear. Very often accompanied by some sort of striped polo shirt with the collars up. If I go for a walk around town, I'm guaranteed to see loads of them. I saw two at the gym the other day, then another one in the Spar on the way home.

Saw a few more sitting outside a local pub, and even young kids are doing it. Have I missed something? It looks so skanky (imo)..

K.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Yep, a guy who works with me dresses exacly like that. I call him a pirate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Sounds a bit early Beckham to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

*cough* Gahey *cough*

I was going to bring this up, but you bet me to it. What the hell are these people thinking, they look like throw backs from the early 80's.

This "fashion" seems to be spreading like wild-fire too, I've seen it everywhere in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Agreed, when ever I see a bloke with a diamond earring I think either Justin Timberlake wannabe or he's gay.

The shaved head though does look like some one who missed the 80's though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭javelin

layke wrote:
    Agreed, when ever I see a bloke with a diamond earring I think either Justin Timberlake wannabe or he's gay.

gay people would hardly wear something that unfashionable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Stephanos

The diamond stud has been in for nearly a year now. I think it may have been Becks that made it popular. I don't like it much but I still think it is very fashionable. It is/was part of the whole metrosexual brigade. I think it has been adopted by the knacks along with stripes and track suit bottoms tucked into socks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Yeah - I was talking to one who also had a gold tooth the other night. That was just wrong.

What do you think of those shorts and flat shoes that the knack girls are wearing? I often see them at my local DART station (very classy area I live in). I think the look is kind of cool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's a new scanger look.

Yes it is! It is quite useful because you can identify them from a good distance. This gives you sufficient time to put away your wallet and phone :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Lads with shaven hair at the side, spiky in the middle, and wearing a square diamond earing in the left ear. Very often accompanied by some sort of striped polo shirt with the collars up.(imo)..

K.
    It's for chavs who can't afford the Burberry baseball cap

jdivision wrote:
    It's for chavs who can't afford the Burberry baseball cap

No it's not. It is a form of tribalism. Things like this can be noted around the world. The Harajuku Girls are a notorious example. Dignify their effort to differentiate themselves. I am sure they are a sub-group of chavs ... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Ties into that I said here.
    It's really just skanger fashion. They see their football heroes such as Beckham on TV, who happen to be metrosexual, and become cheap knock-offs of them.
    It started to turn up last summer, but seems to have exploded this year.
    Though they're not wearing their matching tracksuits as much any more, they're just as recognisable (A positive aspect for those of us who want to avoid them).

Advertisement