Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

silly question on graphics memory...

Options
  • 25-07-2006 1:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

hi, i'm a bit out of touch with the hardware scene the last 2 years, so please excuse the stupid question....

i've eye'd up a Radeon X1600 Pro card on komplett for 125 euros. it uses DDR II memory, but my mobo only supports DDR, will it work? i expect it will because the card's memory is all going through the AGP interface, but i wanted to be sure.

it's not for gaming at all, i just want a decent card to handle Vista's new Aero thingy, which is quite demanding apparently. i have it running on shared memory now :*(

thanks for any help on this one. if you have a 256mb AGP 8x card that you'd like to get rid of.. PM me. cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Its fine, as a long as you have an AGP slot then you are all set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭zero_mac

Excellent. thanks a mil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

But dont you need to have a direct x 10 comlient card to run vista?? Or is it only some of the games taht will require direct x 10?

direct x 9 is what the official requirements say.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/evaluate/hardware/vistarpc.mspx

haven't heard any mention of dx10 for vista, but i could well be wrong. i'm only seeing it as a 12 month upgrade anyway before i build a new system so i'm sure it will carry well enough till then.

IE7 is quite buggy still, as this html editor is proving...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

HOw many lanes does you agp slot have?? Also incase you didnt know, For graphics cards ddr2 is not that great. High end gpus use GDDR3 which is faster then ddr 2.

• Advertisement

hey christophicus. i have one free PCI slot next to the AGP slot, is that what you mean? the picture of the card didn't look like it would take up 2 slots. don't know much about the DDR aspect, except that presumably DDR2 is better than normal DDR which is what i was considering before. i didn't want to spend much more than 100 euros so not really aiming that high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

That card is for the Agp slot. You'd be replacing whatever is in that slot.

Advertisement