Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Premier League Top Scorer Odds

• 25-07-2006 1:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭

Odds are from PaddyPowers, but you can get better value via oddschecker.com

Thierry Henry 5/2
    Andriy Shevchenko 9/2
    Ruud Van Nistelrooy 8
    Wayne Rooney 9
    Craig Bellamy 16
    Andy Johnson 28
    Louis Saha 25
    Darren Bent 28
    Didier Drogba 18
    Dimitar Berbatov 28
    Hernan Crespo 28
    Frank Lampard 20
    Jermaine Defoe 28

No doubt Henry will be near the top come the end of the season but his price looks very small. Must admit that Johnson and Berbatov look good value at 28/1 considering that its possible to go each way on this market with the bookies. Johnson scored a load of goals when Palace were last in the Premier League. Berbatov had a good scoring record in Germany but I would worry that he won't get a game every week with Defoe and Keane around.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I woudl be looking at an each-way punt on Harewood at a big price. These markets don't really appeal to me though, lol, I haven't the patience for real anti-post betting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭Paddy Irishman

Hi Mezcita, I too have been casting an eye over the top goalscorer market and agree that Andy Johnson is great value at around 25/1 especially as it's 1/4 odds ew first 4 places. However what really jumped out at me was bookmakers Bluesq.com offering 10/1 on Andy Johnson being the top English goalscorer. As you say this guy knows where the back of the net is (22 goals for Palace last season, 21 in his last Premiership season) and in my opinion he'll be eager to show Steve McClaren that he's worth a first team place in the England squad ahead of the Euro qualifiers. Hope this helps. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Good stuff Paddy. Just to let you know that Johnson is available at 33/1 with StanJames. Bring it on! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,811 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Hi Mezcita, I too have been casting an eye over the top goalscorer market and agree that Andy Johnson is great value at around 25/1 especially as it's 1/4 odds ew first 4 places. However what really jumped out at me was bookmakers Bluesq.com offering 10/1 on Andy Johnson being the top English goalscorer. As you say this guy knows where the back of the net is (22 goals for Palace last season, 21 in his last Premiership season) and in my opinion he'll be eager to show Steve McClaren that he's worth a first team place in the England squad ahead of the Euro qualifiers. Hope this helps. :)

nice price at 10s...he has Smith,Rooney,Bent,Beattie,Vassell,Cole,Harewood,Crouch, Franky Lampard,Scholes and Ameobi to contend with though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Odds on bellamy are worth a look aswell. Bluesq.com and sporting odds offer 20/1 for him as top scorer. Definitly worth a few quid each way i think.

Definitly also be having AJ at 33/1. Another good 33/1 chance is louis saha. With RVN nearly gone it looks like he will be there main Striker. Again i think these odds are too good to turn down.

For the big outsider bet i think Shola Ameobi is your man. Get him for 80/1 on Stanjames. I'd wait till closer to the start of the season though to see if Newcastle sign any more strikers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Bellamy wont play a full season but will score goals.

Shevchenok getting paid, he will score but cant see him being arsed that much.

Henry would have to be the safe bet.

Couple of others a good bet for 20ish but what will be the amount of goals scored?

1999–2000 Kevin Phillips (Sunderland) (30)
    2000–01 Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink (Chelsea)
    2001–02 Thierry Henry (Arsenal) (24)
    2002–03 Ruud van Nistelrooy (Manchester Utd.) (25)
    2003–04 Thierry Henry (Arsenal) (30)
    2004–05 Thierry Henry (Arsenal) (25)
    2005–06 Thierry Henry (Arsenal) (27)

I would think 26 will get it ruling out anyone from outside the top 4, unless they a big player beside them and arent the only player scoring in the team.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I cant see past henry in the outright market. But there is definitly should good picks to be had e/w.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I cant see past henry in the outright market. But there is definitly should good picks to be had e/w.

Berbato to hit 20 is my ew bet.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Barring injury it's impossible to look beyond Henry, maybe 5/2 isn't everyones idea of a good bet but it think it's cracking price. There are realistically only 1 or 2 other players in contention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

True. But the potential of a Henry injury has to be taken into consideration. Going on previous seasons he has a very good chance of being the top scorer. But I think there is better value to be had by backing some of the other players each way.

Berbatov has looked very good pre season but Keane and Defoe will both want to play. I'm going for AJ based on the fact that he should play most games for Everton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Plus Everton have no European football to play, Johnson does look a great pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭Paddy Irishman

Bookmakers Skybet.com go 11/10 for Andy Johnson to be Evertons top league goalscorer this season. Albeit a very short price, methinks it's a bit of value. Will he outscore Beattie who netted a measly 11 times last season? Yes sir I think he will. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

I went for Craig Bellamy @ 21.00 on Will Hill for top scorer...

I think (hope) he'll have a great season...

Never thought about Andy Johnson for top scorer.. (Andy Johnson is sitting @ 29.00)

Other Outsider bets :
    M Viduka @ 41.00
    J F Hasselbaink @ 41.00
    M Harewood @ 67.00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Not a market I would bet in - although I admit to winning a stack of cash on Kevin Phillips a few years back at prices ranging from 66/1 to 40/1 to be top goal scorer in the premiership when he came into the league with newly promoted Sunderland (acting I must say on advice from a tipping service)

The key points are:

Your selection must be guarenteed football and be the first choice striker of the team.
    He must be the penalty taker (and have a track record in successful conversions of penalties)
    He must not be prone to injury or suspensions (to my mind rules out Rooney on both counts)

A certain french gunner comes to mind, but in any event I think a saver on Henry would be wise to cover the stake and if you do back someone at a fancy price who starts knocking them in early lay the bet as the price shortens to ensure a no loss situation. someone mentioned Craig Bellamey - could be a shrewd choice, does or rather will he be taking the pennos?

Advertisement