Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

play.com

Options
  • 25-07-2006 1:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

hi folks,

i'm very annoyed about this one.

i bought credit for my 3V card and made a purchase online.

the balance credit on my 3V card was €6.50. so, i went to buy a DVD on play.com for €6.49. i then got an email from them saying that the card had been refused, not specifying the reason.

i looked up my statenment on the 3V website which gave a new balance of €5.04. the reason it had decreased was play.com took 1 POUND STERLING €1.46) from me!

2 questions:

why would they refuse my card? and

can companies charge you for THEM refusing your card be it for card being maxed out or whatever reason (WHICH IT WASN'T!)?

any advice would me most appreciated.

it's not the money, it's the annoyance of companies trying to sneekily make money from joe soaps like me :mad:

ps, to make me even madder, the one phone number they have on the website gives the reply "this service is not available at present"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Play are about the best online retailer there is. Have you contacted them? I know they can be very picky that the adress matches up perfectly to the one on the card.

Incidently the Euro prices on their site are just estimates... you're far better off using the site in sterling mode as you get a better idea of the actual price.

For instance DVDs listed as €6.49 are also listed as £3.99 which converts to about €5.80.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I think that charge might be some sort of processing fee for them checking your card validation, it should fall off over the next few days. Always found Play.com excellent, send them an email and I'm sure it will be sorted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 semifinalist

Incidently the Euro prices on their site are just estimates... you're far better off using the site in sterling mode as you get a better idea of the actual price.

For instance DVDs listed as €6.49 are also listed as £3.99 which converts to about €5.80.

which means that my 6.50 balance should definitely be enough to cover the cost of the dvd.

since when were the euro prices estimates? are you sure? then why do they say "Our price €6.49 delivered"?

thanks

I don't think the prices were ever estimates. You either select Pounds Sterling or Euro from the menu on the left on the index page and it gives you the total price delivered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 semifinalist

that's what i thought...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

ps, to make me even madder, the one phone number they have on the website gives the reply "this service is not available at present"

Have you tried emailing them? They usually reply within a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Ruu wrote:
    I don't think the prices were ever estimates. You either select Pounds Sterling or Euro from the menu on the left on the index page and it gives you the total price delivered.
    Well I've never actually used the Euro option as it's significantly more expensive for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

The same thing happened to me with Paypal. The took of $1 to check the card. I e-mailed them and explained the situation and they put the money back into my account. E-mail play.com and they might do the same thing, either refunding the money back to the card or creating a special item solely for you, at the reduced price.

Apparently that type of deduction is standard practice for checking the authenticity of the card, but it has a huge effect on once off cards like the 3V. I don't think it helps that 3V cards are still at the eperimental stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 supermanxd

ye de same ting happned to me except it happened it happened 6 times for 1 item which didnt even get ordered ,wat is der official e-mail??

supermanxd wrote:
    ye de same ting happned to me except it happened it happened 6 times for 1 item which didnt even get ordered ,wat is der official e-mail??

Use their helpdesk or form to send them a message. I don't see an email address displayed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

Does Play.com free delivery apply to Ireland too?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Strokesfan wrote:
    Does Play.com free delivery apply to Ireland too?

yes

Advertisement