Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Texting USA

• 25-07-2006 2:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hi folks,

just wondering if there is any reason why i can't text a friend in the States from my mobile.

i DEF have the right number and added 001 before it.

any suggestions or am i missing something obvious?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

What network are you on? Lets get this straight, you have the number for example; 001 (area code, 3 digits)+(number, 7 digits).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 semifinalist

i'm on meteor

the number she gave me was 123-123-1234

and yea i put 001 before it.

thanks ruu.

No it looks like you are correct, example 001 (123) 123-1234. The only thing I can think of is if the person you are texting cannot receive text messages, some networks in the US, you have to pay extra for that service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Is it BEAT by any chance? :)

she gets texts from her friend in germany.

no bother, thanks anyway ruu.

• Advertisement

Karoma wrote:
    Is it BEAT by any chance? :)

Well she is offline..hmm.;). OP, give Meteor a buzz later and see whats up anyway.

cool, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Networks in the US have to have a roaming agreement between each foreign operator for text services before they'll allow the foreign network's text to come through (or be sent to it). It could be that the person is with a smaller US cellular group who doesn't have a roaming agreement for texting with Meteor but does with the German operator in question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

What last guy said!! Texting is not very common in the US, though that depends on what state and what operator...
    Operators in the US are terrible.. until some time last year you had to pay for every incoming call and text!!!! Now more and more providers have that for free!!!

So anyway it depends on the network. Get said person to call their network and ask.
    My Wifes mom (michigan) went through 3 providers before she got one that she can get texts from here.

Saruman wrote:
    What last guy said!! Texting is not very common in the US, though that depends on what state and what operator...
    Operators in the US are terrible.. until some time last year you had to pay for every incoming call and text!!!! Now more and more providers have that for free!!!

So anyway it depends on the network. Get said person to call their network and ask.
    My Wifes mom (michigan) went through 3 providers before she got one that she can get texts from here.

Most of the CDMA operators have free incoming calls and so on the GSM networks (Cingular and T-Mobile) don't unless its bill pay. They also raised their prices recently for about how many minutes you get for your top up.:mad:

• Advertisement

yeah rang meteor and they said that my pals company mightn't have an agreement with meteor.

i asked my friend to ring her mobile company.

thanks for the help guys

k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Ruu wrote:
    Most of the CDMA operators have free incoming calls and so on the GSM networks (Cingular and T-Mobile) don't unless its bill pay. They also raised their prices recently for about how many minutes you get for your top up.:mad:
    Most may - but Verizon, the largest CDMA operator in the US, charges you 10c per text received (AFAIK)!! They used to charge 2c and upped it about a year ago. Crazy...

Advertisement