Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick needs a TV advert of its own!

Options
  • 25-07-2006 2:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭

I think Limerick needs a tv ad of its own. The West has one as does Dublin, Donegal, Belfast, Cork (during its year of capital of culture).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

any suggestions? I think if Limerick had an ad, the background music would have to be Dreams by The Cranberries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I think I saw one for the Shanon Region, Limerick, Clare and North Tipp, but I'm not certain.

I agree we need something but it's probably best to wait until new buildings like the Hilton and the hotel on Bedford Row come on stream first. That way we'd have another Riverfest down and hopefully more established. Remeber, Adare will soon be hosting the Irish Open, Munster will begin their defence of the HEC too, Limerick as a city needs to capitalise on these events.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

It's too soon for an ad campaign to have much effect.
    People still compare Limerick to crime because of the media "lies".
    Also, Limerick is in the middle of a city centre revival.
    There's no real point in trying to get people to come and look at what will be.
    In a few years time, when a lot of the rebuilding of Limerick is finished, and the medias bias of a few years back is further from everyone's minds then an add would be a good idea.

P.S: The Cranberries suck! I thought you want to bring people in, not drive them away!!!;)

True, but we should still go all out to promote HEC rugby and Riverfest. When TP is upgraded we need people wanting to come from all over to see these games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Yes, I think the ad that live 95fm ran last year showed the city in a great light.

See the city has great stuff for tourists... i was listening to an ad on the radio for the Shannon Region, it named a few places and activities and Limericks sentense was "and watch the sunset in Limerick; the Riverside City" are they kidding me, of all the places a city would be one of the worst places to see the sun set, why didnt they try and capitalise on the actual assets we have??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

any suggestions? I think if Limerick had an ad, the background music would have to be Dreams by The Cranberries.
    is it not dreaming my dreams?

or have i mixed this up

It's called Dreams.

Were such an ad put together, what would you put it? Firstly, I'd do the entire Midwest, 3 separate ads.

Me I'd put in fishing at Castleconnell, rugby at Thomond, something from Daghda, golfing at Adare, Lough Derg, Ballybunion and Lahinch beaches and golf courses, Bunratty, Cliffs of Moher, hurling (possibly between 2 of 3 teams), Burren, Ailwee Caves, Glor music centre. What else?

id start the ad with a couple opening there curtains in the clarion hotel looking over the city (on a sunny morning, preferabley with the sun shining on the shannon), then close it with them closing the curtains at a sunset over the hills (woodcock hill, gallow hills, clare hills, whatever there called!) Chicane - Saltwater works really well on the Belfast ad! Dreams by the cranberries is very would work well on an ad and the fact that they're from limerick. plus it has a good beat to it!

ps. someone commented on live95fm having a great ad! stil though thats a bit pointless - promoting a city to the city itself! we need to go national

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

it would have to be made by someone with a bit more vision than the council/limerick co-ordination who seem to be stuck in a bit of a timewarp advertising wise. image consultants would need to be brought in to have an neutral attitude towards it..otherwise it could end up looking a bit silly.

• Advertisement

It's called Dreams.

Were such an ad put together, what would you put it? Firstly, I'd do the entire Midwest, 3 separate ads.

Me I'd put in fishing at Castleconnell, rugby at Thomond, something from Daghda, golfing at Adare, Lough Derg, Ballybunion and Lahinch beaches and golf courses, Bunratty, Cliffs of Moher, hurling (possibly between 2 of 3 teams), Burren, Ailwee Caves, Glor music centre. What else?

the burren/cliffs of moher dont really need an ad campaign..all over the world people have heard of the cliffs of moher!

ellenmelon wrote:
    the burren/cliffs of moher dont really need an ad campaign..all over the world people have heard of the cliffs of moher!

Exactly, tie in their instant recognition with the rest of the Limerick/Midwest region.

Exactly, tie in their instant recognition with the rest of the Limerick/Midwest region.

limerick needs to focus on whatever its postives are, not rest on the laurels of other sites.

Ellen, like I said, I'd focus on the whole midwest region. After all even Galway advertises itself with Mayo and Roscommon.
    Limerick should promote itself as the perfect base for a holiday in Midwest region, and that region encompasses Clare and North Tipp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

ps. someone commented on live95fm having a great ad! stil though thats a bit pointless - promoting a city to the city itself! we need to go national
    Yes, they ran an ad campaign showing Limerick City and that 'Live 95fm something, something Limerick' .. it was kinda impressive, short but then again the ad wouldnt draw people to the station really so why have a long ad. It ran last year on RTE 1, 2 and TV3 (not sure about TG4 because i dont watch it so much, but why not go the whole hog while there where at it)

I'd do the entire Midwest
    That is the current advertising campaign?! Limerick gets its sentense as does the rest of the area in the current campaign, so basically they are doing pretty much exactly what you think they should do. Except in tourist terms the mid-west is known as the shannon region!

We need to be realistic Limerickman, one of Limerick's best attributes is it's location, like I said, I'd run 3 separate ads all showing different aspects.

Advertisement