Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3AM backup......

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

julep wrote:
    any word on this yet?
    wrasslin' starts in 35 minutes and i get very agitated if i can't do two things at once.
    my tv is 35 degrees to my right and i just turn my swivel chair back and forth between the pc and tv.

this 3am nonsense must cease.
    Start > Run > Notepad ;) - Extra long post at the end of the backup...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

chern0byl wrote:
    Maybe because boards is down at 3am?

You're a genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Backup in computer engineering refers to the copying of data so that these additional copies may be restored if the originals are damaged or lost, a process which is known as data recovery or restore. The "data" may be either created data as such, or stored program code, both of which are treated similarly by the backup software. Backups differ from an archive in that data are duplicated rather than moved.

Noun phrases with the modifier 'backup' are used in such versions as backup copy, backup software (the applications that are used for performing the backing up of data, i.e., the systematic generation of backup copies), backup policy (an organisation's procedures and rules for ensuring that adequate amounts and types of backups are made, including suitably frequent testing of the process for restoring the original production system from the backup copies).

A backup should be planned carefully, and the following points should be considered:

* Periodic backups improve data recovery reliability.
    * Automated backup should be considered, as manual backups can be affected by human error.
    * Making two copies of backup can potentially increase security for data recovery, to avoid accidents such as fire and physics randomness.
    * Using standards make them easier to recover, since that's the goal of a standard. Established standards are usually safer for recovery.
    * New standards are generally faster and more powerful.
    * Data compression might be important if there is more data than media space.
    * Uncompressed data are mostly easier to recover if the backup media are damaged or corrupted, unless individual objects (files, folders, etc.) are compressed separately. Many backup programs allow an administrator to increase or decrease the scope of solid compression to tradeoff compression performance against durability.
    * Backups might take a lot of time to accomplish, which can potentially become a problem in a work environment. (The amount of compression can also affect the time required to perform a backup or restore.)
    * Multiple media backup, for just one content, can be done with independent indexing to optimize individual data recovery.
    * Backup depends both on software and hardware and so are exposed to expiration due to time issues.

The nature of computers is that there are always options and usually three points to consider when buying equipment: size (measured in bytes), rotational speed (measured in hertz or other cycles such as RPM), warranty (measured in years or eventually months).

* Each of the different media has benefits and drawbacks. Also consider the cost per gigabyte when comparing different solutions.

Preparing checklists for worst case situations is a strategy that may well alleviate a condition that on the face of it looks hopeless.

The more important the data that are stored in the computer the greater is the need for backing up these data.

So there. We all know. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Nice one, Sparky-s. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

The_More_You_Know.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

daveirl wrote:

Oh you bet there is :D

Infractions, RSS and frontend Announcement editing FTW \0/

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Backup at 1pm FTW!
    I agree! I'm on a different timezone so 1pm is good for me. Make it so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I think the 3am backup time is fine. It's often my signal that I must go to sleep now. If it were any later then I'd never get up for work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Advertisement
Advertisement