Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tallaght computing

Options
  • 25-07-2006 5:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭

Hi, kind of long post but bare with me,

I had to drop out of IADT computing 2 years ago due to me having chronic fatigue syndrome. I thought i would be better within a few weeks but never did so I deferred.

Next year came around and no change on my health, so i decided on Portobello college part- time computing cert. , but alas the first day i showed up i was told that there weren't the numbers to do it. So i hurriedly applied to NCI computing but they said it was too late :(

Now this year my condition has improved somewhat, and im going to try for a full-time course (mainly becase the free fees scheme doesn't apply to part-time and dont want to take money from my parents). But i'm afraid forcing myself onto a demanding course, both physically and mentally could make my health bad again and then i'd be out of college, again :(

So the 2 choices i have are a Computing PLC in Rathmines (then DIT degree) or straight into Computing Degree in Tallaght. Now i know the PLC in rathmines would be ok as its literally 100ms from my house, the guy there told me i would breeze through it and it would be easier for me to handle than a heavy degree course. But id prefer tallaght as then id be doing proper stuff and i would finally be on my way to getting a degree, the risk of ITT though is if i can't handle it im out of college (again)

Basically why im posting this is i'd love to know:
    A) How many hours a week is ITT computing?
    B) Is it demanding/difficult both in and out of class?
    C) IF anyone has experience of a computing PLC, that would be good too

Any help is greatly appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Oirthir

Hey Spunge, Welcome to ITT forums. *tumbleweed*

Anyhoo, to answer your questions 0

A) How many hours a week is ITT computing?

It's pretty much 9-4 Mon-Thu and 9-12 Fri, But can vary from year to year and class to class. It's a good marker though.

B) Is it demanding/difficult both in and out of class?

Demanding is a subjective term. If you're good at computing and are, for want of a better term, a geek, you should get through with a reasonable amount of work. It all depends on weaknesses and strengths. Personally, I hate programming with a passion, but many I know find it one of the easier classes. On the far end of the scale, I literally attended zero percent of one subject, did the projects and exam and walked away with a C+. Not bad considering I spent 5 hours max on the projects and left the exam a good bit early.

Course, this all depends on what year you're going into etc. In 2nd, 3rd and 4th year, you've quite substantial Year long projects to chip away at and they can eat into your spare time. (not by TOO much though).

I was the education officer in IT Tallaght SU, so in terms of free fees, I'd could probably help more if I knew how long you were in IADT, what time of the year you dropped out etc. Send me a PM if you're unsure of your free fees status.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Thanks for taking the time among the many posts :D

That's great info thanks. Seems like it could be a bit too much for me, but im still not decided. I am into computers but many people i know who were into them more than me hated their computer courses, but you never know i could love it.

Im pretty sure I still apply for free fees as i deferred very early in the year. Plus they say they only allow deferrels once the year has started in special cases.

One quick informal question:
    Is it a nice college to attend?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭theone

I just did 4th year computing there having done it when I was pretty sick I cud barely walk :)
    I wouldn't recommend it 4th year that is, but 1st and 2nd year are allot easier and you could always drop out at that point with your cert and take the diploma/degree up again at a different institute or go straight into work.

The degree is pretty well respected in industry by all accounts.
    It's a nice college, lecturers on the whole are pretty good I never really came across any bad ones in my 4 years there.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Oirthir

Ah yeah, it's grand. Everyone's pretty friendly and it's only got 2,500 odd students, so it's not like a big impersonal college. Lecturers in computing are usually more than happy to give you a hand and get on well with the student body.

It suffers somewhat from a lack of a "campus community". Eg, everyone does get on well as I said, but you wouldn't really have a situation a lá UCD / TCD whereby someone would come in on a day off and do a club/soc event or head to our non-existent bar.

The college try to create it, but with over 50% of the students on some form of financial assistance, pretty much everyone's spare time is taking up working, and as such, Clubs and Socs suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Oirthir wrote:

The college try to create it, but with over 50% of the students on some form of financial assistance, pretty much everyone's spare time is taking up working, and as such, Clubs and Socs suffer.
    thats an understatement, ive been at the college 3 years and each year the student events and recreation has just gotten worse and worse...
    It seems the only way to do things is organise your own stuff with your class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

hobochris wrote:
    thats an understatement, ive been at the college 3 years and each year the student events and recreation has just gotten worse and worse...
    It seems the only way to do things is organise your own stuff with your class.

I agree with hobochris! Events have gone downhill over the 3yrs i've been there!

Advertisement