Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

some firefly questions

• 25-07-2006 8:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

I had these thoughts during serenity.. only started watching firefly over the weekend.. have all the DVD's.

Anyway I have to say its one of the best shows i have ever seen!!! I hope to God they make some more of it.

Anyway the big question i have is the language!!! In serenity it was there but mostly in firefly. sometimes they start speaking another language.. and it sounds asian. Also see a lot of asian writings etc.
    So is it some asian language or made up? If asian why is it so? And also why do they sometimes lapse into it?

I have to say... all the women in this show are super sexy. Inara is just... wow.. (she is going to be wonder woman it seems!)

Though i like Kaylee the most.. she is just too cute :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Saruman wrote:
    I had these thoughts during serenity.. only started watching firefly over the weekend.. have all the DVD's.

Anyway I have to say its one of the best shows i have ever seen!!! I hope to God they make some more of it.

Anyway the big question i have is the language!!! In serenity it was there but mostly in firefly. sometimes they start speaking another language.. and it sounds asian. Also see a lot of asian writings etc.
    So is it some asian language or made up? If asian why is it so? And also why do they sometimes lapse into it?

I have to say... all the women in this show are super sexy. Inara is just... wow.. (she is going to be wonder woman it seems!)

I think its chinese, I guess its like bladerunner where there has just been a mix of languages, and Chinese will become everyones first or second language, Its like when people revert to their own lagnauge to swear or when they get angry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Saruman wrote:

Josh Wheadon had to idea that in the future(the past in firefly:D) that the 2 most dominant super powers would have been the US and China.

So the two most common languages would have been English and Chinese.

Plus it lets you sware in Chinese on TV to get around the censors in America;).

And yes Kaylee/Jewel Staite is too damn cute, my fave too:o.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Yeah, the idea was that everyone even the down-trodden and relatively uneducated would be bi-lingual in both Chinese and English. Apparently the translators had great fun coming up with new Chinese insults!

Kaylee fan here too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

uberpixie wrote:
    Plus it lets you sware in Chinese on TV to get around the censors in America;).

Which is why Spike got to swear so much in Buffy/Angel, english swear words easier to get past the network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

Also, Colm Meaney sez "Bollox!" in a very meaningful way in an ep of Deep Space 9.

Nearly choked on my Frosties when I heard it......had to play it back at least twice.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

ah yes i remember the bollox scene well

Advertisement