Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peta idiots want veggie cats and dogs!

Options
  • 25-07-2006 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.goveg.com/feat/pledge2bveg/

Heard this on the radio today!! They want cat and dog owners to take their pets off meat and on to veg!! OR even vegan!!!
    WTF? They are animals.. they are carnivores.. hell cats cant live off veg, they have to have meat according to vets!!

The URL posted was the only thing i noticed though it does not seem to refer to animals other than the "i want my firends to go veg" link.

on a side note.. i somehow clicked a link that took me to http://www.meat.org/
    Jaysus.. some hardcore video there that might make people go veg.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I can't see anything thats specifically says animals to go veg. There is a picture of a cat on the pledge your friends bit but thats all.

Edit :: I want a kebab.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

My vet put my poor old dog Sam (aka Helen Keller - deaf and blind) on a mainly veggie diet years ago.
    Didn't do him a bit of harm. He's 15 next month - probably his last Santy this year....sniff...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

layke wrote:
    I can't see anything thats specifically says animals to go veg. There is a picture of a cat on the pledge your friends bit but thats all.

Apparently some pet food companies use animal testing. So I can understand PETA wanting a boycott of those companies.

But turning your pets vegetarian? That is CRUEL and unnatural.

PETA aren't too far removed from those animal liberation nuts who use terrorist tactics to further their 'cause', imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Dogs i think can get away with it. However cats according to vets cant.... any vets on boards who know?
    Oh do not watch that meat video if you want to stay in a happy mood... left me depressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Has Jordan actually made it to the head of PETA?

• Advertisement

spurious wrote:
    My vet put my poor old dog Sam (aka Helen Keller - deaf and blind) on a mainly veggie diet years ago...

For good reason, i'm sure. Maybe his digestive system was in a bad way and couldn't digest meat anymore.

joejoem wrote:
    Has Jordan actually made it to the head of PETA?

You're thinking of Jodie Marsh. Jordan being 1,000,000 times smarter than that washed up old tart.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

My cats eat fortified dry food mostly bec wet food makes them sick but I have come across food for cats thats say chicken flavour and has peas and carrotts in it!! Like a little sunday dinner!! weird!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭RandomOne

I'm trying to find an article where it explains why cats can't survive on a veggie diet but dogs can. (Still searching) Something to do with chemcials/nutrients in fur and feather (literally, the fur and feather) that cats need. Unless a food manufacturer can adequately replace these synthetically, they have no hope of getting veggie cat owners to switch.

Edit: Found link http://www.vegsoc.org/info/catfood.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

Dogs can survive on a vegetarian diet if it carefully designed which, however, is extremely difficult to achieve at home. There are commercial brands available.

Cats CAN NOT survive on a vegetarian diet as they are unable to synthesise certain amino acids themselves and MUST consume these in their daily diet. It is extremely dangerous to place a cat on a vegetarian diet and will definitely result in serious medical problems.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Dogs can live fine on a vegetarian diet with no suppplements.

Cats cannot synthesize several nutrients they need, taurine, vitamin A (cats cannot convert the pro-vitamin A that is abundant in plants to vitamin A proper) and to certain fatty acids. The absence of taurine causes the cat's retina to slowly degenerate, causing eye problems and (eventually) irreversible blindness. This is called CRD.
    You have to give cats supplements in their food to make them vegetarian, but it is not a hard thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

eth0_ wrote:
    You're thinking of Jodie Marsh. Jordan being 1,000,000 times smarter than that washed up old tart.

I like Jodie Marsh, she makes my pants feel tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

If I took my dog off his precious meat, he'd turn feral overnight and give me the biting of a lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

here's the peta link

http://www.peta.org.uk/feat/vegcatdog.asp

I'm a veggie but would under no circumstances attempt to change my pet's diets to veggie :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I'm Pro-Animal, but PETA's just a bunch of loonies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

That's ridiculous. I have two cats and feeding them a vegetarian diet wouldn't benefit them. If PETA is so animal conscious, then they need to accept animals for what they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭RandomOne

PETA aren't suggesting the pets go veggie, they're just using a picture of a cat on their marketing. Still, enough people will read it as getting their pets to go veggie!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

RandomOne wrote:
    PETA aren't suggesting the pets go veggie, they're just using a picture of a cat on their marketing. Still, enough people will read it as getting their pets to go veggie!

Yes they are, did you read the article that Tabitharose posted? This sentence is particular:

If you are concerned about the health of your animal companion and about the cruelty of the meat industry, now is the time to stop buying meat-based commercial pet food.

They then go on to describe all sorts of vegetarian options. They don't even discuss the possibility of feeding your dog meat that doesn't come from a tin.

They're definately suggesting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Cats are obligate carnivores - they need MEAT to thrive & live a healthy life. I have heard of Vegan owners who have turned their cats veggie! & apparently the only thing you need to worry about is a problem with crystals in the urine tract that need vet treatment & cause the cat LOTS OF PAIN! but other than this they are "apparently" healthy!!!!!

I have 10 cats & 1 kitten & they all live on meat! Just the way nature intended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

It might be worth a little experiment : Suppose we put a load of PETA heads on a plane, no food or radio, and crash it in the Andes killing the pilots. What do you suppose they would do for grub....?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Bond-007 wrote:
    Cats are obligate carnivores - they need MEAT to thrive & live a healthy life.
    No, I posted why they do not.
    I have heard of Vegan owners who have turned their cats veggie! & apparently the only thing you need to worry about is a problem with crystals in the urine tract that need vet treatment & cause the cat LOTS OF PAIN! but other than this they are "apparently" healthy!!!!!
    They are not being cared for properly then, so?

It might be worth a little experiment : Suppose we put a load of PETA heads on a plane, no food or radio, and crash it in the Andes killing the pilots. What do you suppose they would do for grub....?
    I suppose their position is that they can eat meat when they need too, which people certainly don't need to in todays society where meat is basically just a pleasure as people do not need it to be healthy.

I also suspect that film may exist. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Trying to turn a cat veggie or vegan is the most perverted form of "animal love" imaginable.

Some people take it into their minds that they are doing the animal kingdom a great favour by turning vegetarian or vegan.

While this is probably true in regards to the parts of the animal kingdom that are part of the human food chain, trying to do it to a cat (who is by design a carnivore) is just despicable.

Because it means transferring human "values" onto a defensless animal, that is in ones care and responsibility with total disregard for that animals needs and circumstances. Total and utter disrespect for the one animal the vegetarin/vegan is directly responsible for while he/she is busy "caring" for the rest of all creatures.

Get a cop on ...a cat always was, is and always will be a carnivore ..no matter how many supplements you stuff down its throat with its tofu ...

Do to yourself what you will, preach to the world if you must, but leave the poor cat out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

eth0_ wrote:
    Apparently some pet food companies use animal testing. So I can understand PETA wanting a boycott of those companies.

But turning your pets vegetarian? That is CRUEL and unnatural.

PETA aren't too far removed from those animal liberation nuts who use terrorist tactics to further their 'cause', imo.

PETA are affliated with the Animal Liberation Front who have been known to use terrorist tactics

As someone said on another forum, I wouldn't sell my last turd to PETA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

peasant wrote:
    Trying to turn a cat veggie or vegan is the most perverted form of "animal love" imaginable.

Some people take it into their minds that they are doing the animal kingdom a great favour by turning vegetarian or vegan.

While this is probably true in regards to the parts of the animal kingdom that are part of the human food chain, trying to do it to a cat (who is by design a carnivore) is just despicable.

Because it means transferring human "values" onto a defensless animal, that is in ones care and responsibility with total disregard for that animals needs and circumstances. Total and utter disrespect for the one animal the vegetarin/vegan is directly responsible for while he/she is busy "caring" for the rest of all creatures.

Get a cop on ...a cat always was, is and always will be a carnivore ..no matter how many supplements you stuff down its throat with its tofu ...

Do to yourself what you will, preach to the world if you must, but leave the poor cat out of it.
    I totally agree with this post. My cat would find his meat elsewhere if I didn't feed it to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Dogs can live fine on a vegetarian diet with no suppplements.

Cats cannot synthesize several nutrients they need, taurine, vitamin A (cats cannot convert the pro-vitamin A that is abundant in plants to vitamin A proper) and to certain fatty acids. The absence of taurine causes the cat's retina to slowly degenerate, causing eye problems and (eventually) irreversible blindness. This is called CRD.
    You have to give cats supplements in their food to make them vegetarian, but it is not a hard thing.
    Supplements are very often not as available to the body to use as the nutrients in their natural form. A natural form of taurine is much better to the animal than an artificial source. In addition to CRD, taurine deficiency can cause heart problems, reproductive failure and developmental abnormalities. A balanced diet is better than a supplement any day.
    They also need arachadonic acid (they can't synthiesize it from linoleic) and linoleic acid.
    Not only do they need a huge amount of protein, but the amino acid profile of that protein is very important: they have a dependence on arginine, due to the demands on the urea cycle, and animal proteins are generally better in their amino acid profile, digestibility and arginine content.
    Their niacin requirement is 4x higher than dogs, and animal tissue is higher in niacin. Cats cannot synthesize niacin from tryptophan.
    With regards starch and other carbohydrates, cats tolerate carbs rather than utilizing them and can tolerate a level of starch of 4 grams per kilogram body weight, which is not a lot of starch when you consider that the ave. cat weighs 4kg. Their enzymes are simply not geared up to use carbs efficiently, and they rely on a process called gluconeogenesis to maintain blood sugar by creating carbs from non-carb sources. Their enzymes and gene expression have changed over the course of their evolution and they are basically designed to eat meat.
    Potassium deficiency is also seen in vegetarian cats.
    (About the urinary caliculi, this condition occurs when cats are fed too much magnesium, and is often seen when cats are fed too much fish.)
    And while people say that it is possible to form a vegetarian diet for a cat, it would be difficult not only for the owners to manage, but for the cat to be healthy. Anthrophomorphism isn't always the best principle when deciding what is best for our pets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I read somewhere once that if you take meat out of a cat's diet the cat will be dead within a month.

My cat would never speak to me again if she didn't get her (big) bowl of Go-Cat every morning... I feed her before I feed myself!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Schlemm wrote:
    Anthrophomorphism isn't always the best principle when deciding what is best for our pets.

Can we have that as a sticky on top of the whole forum, please???

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

eth0_ wrote:

They're both dogs so it's a valid move.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Can anyonetell me is "Peata" the Irish equivalent of "Peta" ? A friend was thinking of joining because they do a lot of good work with bringing approved pets to visit people in nursing homes. If they were associated with "Peta" and their idea of dog/cat vegetarians I'm sure she would have nothing to do with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

nope.. completely different organisation.
    peata use pets for therapy
    peta is a militant animal liberation organisation....

Advertisement