Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peta idiots want veggie cats and dogs!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

fits wrote:
    nope.. completely different organisation.
    peata use pets for therapy
    peta is a militant animal liberation organisation....

Thanks Fits,

That's a relief !! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

Did anyone look at that link.. http://www.meat.org

The video was shocking, i could'nt watch it all.

I usually buy irish meat, i just hope that the meat i buy, the animals do not suffer that kind of cruelty.
    I'm just thinking, the meat i buy from Aldi or Lidl is foreign, I know some of the lamb comes from New Zealand. It's made me think twice now about buying meat from their.

Let's just hope that animals are not treated in anyway like that here in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

trilo wrote:
    Did anyone look at that link.. http://www.meat.org

The video was shocking, i could'nt watch it all.

I usually buy irish meat, i just hope that the meat i buy, the animals do not suffer that kind of cruelty.
    I'm just thinking, the meat i buy from Aldi or Lidl is foreign, I know some of the lamb comes from New Zealand. It's made me think twice now about buying meat from their.

Let's just hope that animals are not treated in anyway like that here in Ireland.
    I've done work on dairy, beef, sheep and pig farms in Ireland and I have never seen animals being treated as bad as they are in some of those peta-esque videos. A lot of the movies on the internet are of farms in the USA, etc. and the practices in agriculture are quite different to the practices in Ireland. A lot of those movies will also show a lot of extreme situations which tend to occur a lot less in reality than the videos make out.
    In Ireland, most farmers will try and turn their cattle and sheep out to grass as often as possible, because grass is cheap. Plus it's better for the animals and they tend to thrive better on grass too.
    The average yield of a dairy cow in Ireland is about half that of a dairy cow in the USA, and even though they can suffer some of the metabolic problems that affect dairy cows, they do not burn out as quick as some of the USA herds. They are turned out to grass in the warmer months usually, wheras some USA herds are kept in cubicle housing all year round.
    The EU are also quite strict on the use of hormones and growth promoters, etc. when compared with some other countries. They have banned many of the substances that used to be used in the past to improve fertility or increase milk yield, eg, growth hormone is banned in the EU.
    Chicken and pigs are still an area of concern, however, and sows are still kept in farrowing crates and dry sow stalls. They can sit and stand and walk about a pace back and forth, and this is how breeding sows are kept throughout life. Battery hens in cages also have a poor welfare. The EU is bringing in new legislation for group housing sows and providing 'enriched' cages for battery hens, but personally I do not think these measures will go far enough to make signifigant changes to welfare, and will be a huge burden on farmers in terms of cost and labour.
    However, free range pork and chicken is available and this is worth looking out for in the shops. There are also loopholes in labelling legislation that allow producers to label meat as Irish if it has been processed in Ireland (eg, into burgers or nuggets or whatever). So make sure that you're buying Irish. Buycotts work better than boycotts when promoting good animal welfare in farming,...just look at what happened in organic farming, and freedom foods in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Good post there Schlemm. Irelands grass based agriculture for dairy, beef and sheep herds is actually pretty good from a welfare point of view.
    Personally, I buy normal Irish beef and lamb... but make the extra effort to get free range chicken and pork.... battery farmed chicken is disgusting to my palate. There's also a guy nearby who rears saddle backed pigs and their meat is so much superior to 'supermarket' pork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Believe me, I am fully in favour of some of PETA's beliefs- their anti-fur campaign is spot on. Killing animals for fashion is ridiculous. But as far as I am concerned, cats have pointy teeth for a reason- because they are MEAT eaters. I don't care what PETA say, it would be just as cruel for me to deny my cat her natural diet as it is to deny all the cows, pigs etc their natural lives or whatever.

Besides, as I've said earlier, she'd never speak to me again!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No, I posted why they do not.
    Not according to Schlemm and other sources I've read.
    They are not being cared for properly then, so?
    So in an ideal situation where the cat(or dog) is kept on a veggie diet very strict in it's sources of protein and amino acids etc then they may be alright. Given the diet of many animals on a meat(canned) diet isn't exactly up to scratch it stands to reason that a mad veggie diet is likely to cause serious harm under less than ideal circumstances.

As it is many of the pet foods contain way too much sugar. In the wild dogs/wolves are primarily meat eaters and can live longer healthier lives than their captive cousins. While they do ingest more veggie matter than you may suppose, they thrive on a balanced diet that contains animal protein. In wild cats the animal protein angel is even more pronounced.

You know that old chestnut about not giving a dog meat as it will make them vicious? That was an advertising notion created by the dog food industry in the US many moons ago. An obvious one is wild animals don't require dental help from vets as dental caries is very rare. Domestic dogs and cats suffer from it far more than before. Feeding them grains is even more bizarre.

You take two pups from the same litter and I'll feed one meat, bones offal etc with some veg thrown in. You feed one on a pure veggie diet and the comparisons in skeletal development and general health will be plain to see in a couple of years.
    I suppose their position is that they can eat meat when they need too, which people certainly don't need to in todays society where meat is basically just a pleasure as people do not need it to be healthy.
    Another debate for another time, but while most eat far too much animal protein and of the wrong sort, many many sources would consider that statement in error. Eggs and dairy types ok, but pure vegans?

Frankly this stuff is laughable. It's bad enough when the militant veggie brigade insist that humans(especially children) don't need some form of animal protein to thrive, not just survive. The usual comparisons between us and pure carnivores is regularly trotted out. Now when dealing with those self same carnivores the blinkers go on and they suggest turning them veggie too. It's ridiculous.

In an ideal world idiots like PETA would get eaten. Now where can I source a famished Siberian tiger and the local PETA branch - and some padlocks for the door. Shouldn't take long.....:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement