Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinea Pig Run

Options
  • 25-07-2006 9:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi,

Can somebody tell me where I can buy a guinea pig/rabitt run in Dublin? I am travelling up this weekend. I have searched everywhere in cork to no avail.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

They can be hard to get and are usually over priced for what they are. I think the 2 pet shops in Bray do them I know the one up near MacDonalds does, I did see and A frame type one in the other pet shop in the center of Bray but that was a while ago.

Although you might not be travelling as far as there, some pet shops will order them for you. Or try www.pet-bliss.com

Usually in shop bought ones the bottom and sometimes the top isn't wired, they will need to be wired to stop other animals digging in or coming from above, some people worry about bumble foot when pigs have wire on the bottom but this should not be a problem as long as they have access to their bed area and a wee platform to rest their feet on.

If you are good at DIY it's so much cheaper to make your own.

Mabey someone else can suggest one in the Dublin area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

I have built a fold up, movable run very easily. You can get panels of plastic coated wire from any good DIY store (I got mine in Woodies) and then all you need is some metal dowling rods and some heavy duty cable ties. You can then make the pen any size shape you want, and you can just fold it up when it's not in use.

But please please please be very careful in this weather, yesterday I lost 2 piggies to the heat, they were in their hutch in the shade, with fresh water and plenty of feed, they also had frozen water bottles in with them to help them cool down, unfortunately this was just not enough and in the space of about 4 hours they had gone (I was home at lunch and they were fine gave them some fresh cold water, and at 6ish when I got home they were gone)

I have moved all my other hutches into the shed which is cooler for now and have 3 fans running all day on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 cobhpirate1980

Thanks for your help. I will take a spin out that way to have a look.

If I dont find one, I will build one myself!

Thanks again

I am sorry to hear about your Piggies Shelli.

Thanks for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Thanks, it's been a bad week all round, and that just topped it off.

No more piggies for a while I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭filo87

cobhpirate,are you in Cork?If so,did you try the new Maxi Zoo pet superstore in Ballincollig?It just opened at the weekend and they definitely had runs there!

Yep, I am in Cork. I will try Ballincollig! thanks a million

Do you know where abouts it is in Ballincollig?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭filo87

Yep,it's in the street just up behind the cinema.It's about 2 doors down from Aldi.If you're not sure where that is,just ask anyone in Ballincollig,they'll definitely know!
    By the way,the runs I saw there did not have wire on the bottom but I'm sure it would be easy enough to add on yourself.

Advertisement