Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback needed

Options
  • 25-07-2006 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

Ok first off I have no idea about code etc. I want to learn something like dreamweaver, GoLive etc (i'm on a mac) but just have to get off my ass.

At the moment I am using a app called FreeWay Pro, it was designed for use by people in the print industry, and the results are ok for what i want.

Have a look and and feedback/suggestions would be great.

www.spectralsightings.com

cheers

6th

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭vito

I'm no design expert but one thing I can tell you outright is that you have zero text on your page and therefore virtually zero chance of being picked up by any search engine. Also, from an accessibility point of view the site is extremely poor (also due to the zero text issue). You could also try introducing a little more colour to the site to highlight headers etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

you need text.
    why would you use an image instead of text?
    what if you want to change something in future - rewite the whole lot?
    think of people on slow connections or with odd resolution monitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

yeah thats the problem with FreeWay it saves everything down as text. Hence I'll be learning something like DreamWeaver. With regards to redoing it whenever i want to change text, thats not the case, its very quick to use and the set upo is great, its a bit like quark.

Anyone any suggestions of programmes for a starter who doesnt know code (HTML etc)?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭andrea

First Page, like Dreamweaver lets you have a split window, so you can code on top and preview on bottom. Good for learning to code, you see what you're getting as you go. And it's free! Worth trying anyway before shelling out money on Dreamweaver. Coding directly gives you a lot more control over your results. It has a lot of sample snippets etc too, which may be helpful.

http://www.evrsoft.com/download.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

6th wrote:
    yeah thats the problem with FreeWay it saves everything down as text. Hence I'll be learning something like DreamWeaver. With regards to redoing it whenever i want to change text, thats not the case, its very quick to use and the set upo is great, its a bit like quark.

Anyone any suggestions of programmes for a starter who doesnt know code (HTML etc)?

http://www.adobe.com/products/homesite/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Ph3n0m wrote:

Seems to only be for Windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

What OS do you have - Linux?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭richardo

Gordon wrote:
    What OS do you have - Linux?

Quote from his first post -
    I want to learn something like dreamweaver, GoLive etc (i'm on a mac) but just have to get off my ass.

Sorry I missed that.

Yes Dreamweaver for Mac would be the best option

HOWEVER - be careful - some people when they develop on a Mac, think their site looks good on Firefox - you must rememeber to test on a PC aswell - as that is what the majority of people use and furthermore, more people use IE then Firefox

Right you are, sorry about that.

How about Amaya. I'm not quite sure how easy it is to use as I hardly even looked at it, but it works for Mac.

Tbh 6th, it's good to know Dreamweaver but if you want to move away from that pdf style layout (which you should) then Dreamweaver will most likely end up giving you niggly things that will change the way the site looks on various browsers. Hence it's best to understand the raw HTML. Therefore you're better off (in the long run) learning HTML and writing code on a text editor. (I recommend Text Wrangler for the Mac.

I'm not sure if Phenom was hinting at this but Firefox on Mac and PC seems to render websites exactly the same in my experience.

• Advertisement

Gordon wrote:
    I'm not sure if Phenom was hinting at this but Firefox on Mac and PC seems to render websites exactly the same in my experience.

True, but the majority of people using computers are using PC -> some version of IE

Ph3n0m wrote:
    True, but the majority of people using computers are using PC -> some version of IE
    Aye deffo.

And IE for Mac:

1) Really sucks and doesn't render sites anything like IE for PC
    2) Isn't being made anymore (last update was 3 or 4 years ago iirc)

So you'll have to either get onto someone's PC to check the site out or get yourself Virtual PC.

Advertisement