Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wrote a book?

• 25-07-2006 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭

I'm just curious, has anyone here ever successfully wrote a book thats on sale at the moment?.

~ Idgeitman

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Idgeitman wrote:
    I'm just curious, has anyone here ever successfully wrote a book thats on sale at the moment?.

~ Idgeitman

Not me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Idgeitman

anyone?.....

tumbleweed.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I'm pretty sure BEAT (the forum mod) has a book published.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Dylan_James

No comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

No comment.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Less of that, both of you. kthx

Careful now ...

... I once wrote a short(ish) book. It was about 35A4 pages long so I'm not entirely sure how that would translate. Currently trying to write one but have reached a few deadends; college, writers block and laziness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Sarky wrote:
    Less of that, both of you. kthx

Less of what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Cash

hey Idgeitman, I like your constant quirky curiosity! your threads are very mr bean! amusing.:)
    I've written lots but have publishers block, maybe it'll be found someday and published.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Dylan_James

Cash wrote:
    hey Idgeitman, I like your constant quirky curiosity! your threads are very mr bean! amusing.:)
    I've written lots but have publishers block, maybe it'll be found someday and published.

Hey Cash, this mightbe the solution to your "publishers block"

http://originalwriting.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭lukegriffen

I'm sure i read recently that Roddy Doyle self-published The Commitments, about 2000 copies, before it got picked up by a publisher.

It's quite an achievement to write a novel. To get it published, well that's another stratosphere from where I'm sitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭oclugg

yep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Not yet published but trying.

I work with someone who has published non-fiction books by self-publishing but to be honest he's only covering his costs with each book sold.

He has to sell each book at £9 (~€14) per copy and they are only paperbacks of about 150 pages each. He likes doing it that way and knows that unlike ficiton books he is never likely to sell hundreds of thousands of copies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

I'm writing one in collaboration with someone in Canada - which has its disadvantages but there are some plusses too. Slow progress, but we're happy with what we've done so far - we're up to 26k words.

I have some research to do though - is anyone up for answering a few questions as and when they crop up?

You'll get your name in the credits. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Livvie wrote:
    I have some research to do though - is anyone up for answering a few questions as and when they crop up?

What type of questions? If I can answer that would be fine but remember that I could tell you that I'm an seasoned detective with the LAPD and you wouldn't know any better...be sure to validate any information you get from the web ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I tried a few years back... i thought i was doing great. I wrote about 6 chapters which was about 30 to 35 A4 pages in Word. I then stopped and decided i should read back what i had written.... It eh... sounded like i was on drugs on the time... right down the part where i was all about the benefits of the cannabis plant (not the drug aspect)... This was Funny to me since i did not even drink at the time nor had i ever smoked let alone taken drugs.
    It was a Sci-Fi/Fantasy type novel.

So i decided i would have another go when im older.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

r3nu4l wrote:
    What type of questions? If I can answer that would be fine but remember that I could tell you that I'm an seasoned detective with the LAPD and you wouldn't know any better...be sure to validate any information you get from the web ;)

I would do that, but would appreciate any help which will point me in the right direction. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭antSionnach

Currently trying to write one but have reached a few deadends; college, writers block and laziness.

Amen to that.
    I've written something but above obstacles are soo frustrating. Really don't think it's got publishing merit yet. Just found this forum though so might post an exerpt and ask for the humane yet honest advice of fellow boardsies soon enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

r3nu4l wrote:
    Not yet published but trying.

I work with someone who has published non-fiction books by self-publishing but to be honest he's only covering his costs with each book sold.

He has to sell each book at £9 (~€14) per copy and they are only paperbacks of about 150 pages each. He likes doing it that way and knows that unlike ficiton books he is never likely to sell hundreds of thousands of copies.

Whats involved in self publishing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Ninjawombat

I used to write obsessively, for hours a day. Ah, the good old days when I didn't bother going to school...! Anyway, now I read back over the books I'd written and I'm glad nobody ever saw them. :P Haha! Might try it again though, it's a good way to get everything out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement