Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Docs

• 25-07-2006 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Just bought myself a nice big pair of Doc Martens. Trying to break them in. Just wondering what kind of care they need to make them last longer. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Buy New Laces!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You might want to buy some protectant against the rain might extend the life of them a bit, weatherproofing protectants are probably available in most shoe shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I never use any protectant stuff on Docs - I love the weather beated look they get. In fact if you could buy them nicely worn like that I probably would.

Of course I'm talking about the plain leather ones - fancy coated ones may need some manner of spray or something to protect against the rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

The more knackered they are, the more comfortable they are. Its so sore breaking them in, however I just wore 2 pairs of socks with them, to ease the pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

They're as hard as the hobs of hell anyway (in both senses of the phrase - before you break them in, and in terms of how well they last) but it's a good idea as with any leather shoes to use some kind of leather protector.
    While they are hard-wearing, the general dampness of the Irish weather doesn't do them much good in the long run, so it'll be worth your while. As well as that I personally use dubbin on mine every month or so and give them a good brush up just to keep them in good condition.

My favourite pair have lasted 5 solid years of wear so far and are still going strong, plus they still look great thanks to the care I take of them (just to back this up, past pairs haven't aged nearly as well without the same kind of treatment).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I get about 2 or so years out of a pair now. But I wear nothing else and do walk a good bit every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I've mine for about 2 years now, just a bit of shoe polish now and again does wonders. They are virtually indestructable anyway, you should get at least a few years use out of them anyway.

Advertisement