Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curious about Due Date

Options
  • 25-07-2006 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi everyone, im a 20 year old mother to be im 31 weeks pregnant, i have a feeling that i am longer gone than the doctors say i am i just want to know is the doctor ever wrong about due dates. If any mothers out there that were longer gone than the doctor said i would love to hear your story thanks.

Micha

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Due dates are not an exact science even with ultrasounds.
    Babys can arrive two weeks before hand and 10 days after the due date.
    This is due to the fact the due date is calculated from the onset date of your last period and conception tends to happen at the release of the ovum which is typically day 14 of a 28 day cycle but really it could be you have a 34 day cycle and that you conceived at day 10.

what makes you think you are furhter along ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Is your doctors due date based on LMP (last menstrual period) or based on a scan? Due dates based on LMP typically assune you have a 28 day cycle and ovulate (and concieve) on day 14, in many cases your cycle can be longer or shorter than this and conception can take place on days other than day 14 (it can even occur when you are due your next period - so two weeks later)
    A scan date (especially if scan is earlier than 16 weeks is usually quite (+/- week) accurate.
    Even if all was accurate based on either of these ways of estimating due date - most obs will tell you that you have only >80% chance of delivering +/- 2 weeks of your due date. On both my previous pregnancies I delivered late (based on both my dates and scan dates ) over 13 days on number 1 and over 1 day on number 2. On this one I am sure of the date I concieved (memorable night :D LOL!) and so can work out exactly when this one is due and even still my dates based on my scan are 6 days later....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

I think the baby is due any time after the 36 week mark. Only 30% of babies are delivered on their due date. My little sprog was one of them 10 days ago. Delivered on his due date and his mothers birthday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭MyBaby

Ye, my due was the 27th august last year, baby born on 5th september. I thought i was due a week r too earlier but just took it the docs knew wat they were talking about.

My baby was born healthy at 8lbs 15oz, didnt look like a new born lol but it the doctors think ur in any danger or the baby, they will bring you in once your in regular contact with the hospital, u shud be ok, so lie down and relax cause as soon as you have the baby, you'll be running around like mad lol

PS. Congrats Figment:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

They are happy to run over the due date as much as 10 days once the baby is ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 teagan

my daughter was born on 16 march 2006, my due date according to doctor was 17th march and according to the ultrasound it was the 5th march.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

My first was early according to the dr by 5 days, late according to the hospital by 3 days and right on the button to my caluclations based of a lunar calendar. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

EDDs are not exact science by any means tho they tend not to be out by more than a couple of weeks...that said, full term is anything between 37-42wks - so the EDD is just a rough guide to keep an eye on bab growth development and not a date you should expect to give birth on.

With my second, I knew my dates were out by over a week and lo & behold she arrived 40wks +8 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Miss Judy

Ditto Figment....my daughter (2nd baby) was due on 14th July & she arrived on her due date, the lmp edd was 14/7, scan was 15/7 so it was all totally bang on. It was so cool that she arrived on her due date!!!:) She was 9lbs9ozs...so thank god I did not go over!!:D
    My son (1st baby)was born on 25th October. LMP edd was 15th October, scan edd was 19th October (was 5 years ago) so the scan date was closer, he was 9lbs5ozs, so 10 days over to me was a killer. I was dreading it the 2nd time so thank god dd came on time for me last year!!.
    I would go by the scan date anyway...best of luck to you...have those bags packed girl!!!!;)

Advertisement