Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog chasing

Options
  • 25-07-2006 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Problem:

I have a 13 month labrador bitch. Generally, an excellect dog, walked every day - gets on with all members of the family etc. We live in a semi - rural area (no sheep etc) but she has started running after people - barking and generally frightining the crap out of people as they run, walk or cycle in the area. I am about to put a radio fence in place to keep her within the site boundry but how do i get her out of this habit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Try getting someone the dog doesn't really know to cycle by with one of those huge waterpistols. Then get someone else to jog by, soak the dog everytime she does it untill she stops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

lightening wrote:
    soak the dog everytime she does it untill she stops.

Or until she gets so wound up by it all that she ends up biting one of them:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭RandomOne

:rolleyes: You keep the dog on a lead! It's a valid training method.

Alternatively, when out and about, as soon as she starts to react, firmly tell her to "leave" and turn her in the opposite direction so she's distracted and whatever it is isn't in her sight anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Arcadian wrote:
    Or until she gets so wound up by it all that she ends up biting one of them:confused:

I have tried this, its works, no one gets bitten.

Advertisement