Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New TV unable to tune in low freq channels

• 25-07-2006 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hey,

My parents old 21" cathode TV finally died and then asked me to replace it with something similar. This is no easy task as most TVs sold now days are either much bigger or much flatter (and all more expensive).

I went to argos and picket up a 21" flat screen TV - this one and brought it home to them to set up.

My parents are on NTL cable in Dublin and the auto-tune search was unable to find Discovery channel or channel 4. I had a look at NTL website and these 2 channels are the low frequency channels (below 60 MHz) so I guess the TV tuner was unable to go this low. I tried all the country settings and all the available frequencies, and it was no go.

I returned the TV to argos who told me that the get a good few returns with the same problem.

So, the question is :
    Are NTL broadcasting on non-standard frequencies, or do all TVs have different freq ranges? I have had similar problems with setting up a TV tuner on a computer so I am guessing the first one...

Any recommendations for bog standard 21"TV welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

shaneos wrote:
    So, the question is :
    Are NTL broadcasting on non-standard frequencies, or do all TVs have different freq ranges? I have had similar problems with setting up a TV tuner on a computer so I am guessing the first one...

Simple answer is no. Discovery/Ch4/E4 have always been transmitted Band1 using standard freqs of 48/56/64mhz.
    Certain parts of the network have changed these channels up onto the UHF band again standard freqs.You just got a TV that doesn't work here or Argos got the wrong spec TV's in stock.VHF tuners should start tuning at 48mhz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

shaneos wrote:
    Hey,

My parents old 21" cathode TV finally died and then asked me to replace it with something similar. This is no easy task as most TVs sold now days are either much bigger or much flatter (and all more expensive).

I went to argos and picket up a 21" flat screen TV - this one and brought it home to them to set up.

My parents are on NTL cable in Dublin and the auto-tune search was unable to find Discovery channel or channel 4. I had a look at NTL website and these 2 channels are the low frequency channels (below 60 MHz) so I guess the TV tuner was unable to go this low. I tried all the country settings and all the available frequencies, and it was no go.

I returned the TV to argos who told me that the get a good few returns with the same problem.

So, the question is :

Any recommendations for bog standard 21"TV welcome!

They could be Uk spec tvs ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭motrocco

got my new telly for free.

Why? Mate won it in a raffel. The raffel was for many things including tellys.

Yeah it was an english company with offices in ireland and yes the telly is useless here due to it having a English tuner.

Playstation/dvd player/video player works on it. And I use the tuner from the video so it is not so useless. And yes the decoderds box from NTL will work over scart but no it won't tune in irish tv stations.

M

Advertisement