Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cole off to Chelsea

• 25-07-2006 12:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

http://www.football365.com/teams/arsenal/story_189389.shtml
    Arsenal have reportedly demanded £25m for Ashley Cole after rejecting Chelski's opening bid of £16m for their want-away left-back.

After almost two years of speculation, it is understood that the two clubs finally opened talks on Monday. While Chelski's offer matches the fee stipulated in the escape clause added to Cole's contract last April, Arsenal informed their London rivals that they value the England full-back at £25m.

With talks underway, however, it remains just a matter of time before Cole completes his controversial move to west London. Despite public claims to the contrary, Arsenal are resigned to his departure following his public fall-out with the club following the 'tapping-up' furore last year.

Manager Arsene Wenger admitted last week that he was searching for a defender capable of playing at both centre-half and left-back. Chelski's William Gallas fits the bill, but, according to The Sun, Jose Mourinho is adamant that the Frenchman will not be sold in part-exchange for Cole. Wenger, meanwhile, has rejected Chelski's attempts to use Shaun Wright-Phillips as a makeweight in the move.

The Blues are therefore likely to spend in the region of £20m on Cole, stretching their summer spending beyond the £50m mark in transfer fees alone, leaving the Gunners with a severe defensive headache ahead of the new campaign.

The injury-plagued Gael Clichy is once again on the sidelines and isn't expected to return before September. Lauren would be another option but his return is scheduled for October. Despite returning to his favoured position of midfield in Arsenal's pre-season friendlies this month, Mathieu Flamini is the current favourite to replace Cole.

As for the England full-back himself, Chelski are set to bring negotiations over his personal terms to a swift conclusion by offering Mr Tweedy a £90,000-a-week wage – a three-fold increase in his salary in less than a year.

Well, it looks like the man who betrayed Arsenal, and then tried to somehow blame them for the whole thing is finally getting his way. At least we look set for a £20m windfall, but time is running out before the start of the season, and most of our defence are on the treatment table.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Im a little confused. If the escape clause is 16million, why then would Chelsea have to offer more? Im obviously missing something here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

B-K-DzR wrote:
    Im a little confused. If the escape clause is 16million, why then would Chelsea have to offer more? Im obviously missing something here.
    There is probably a "unless the market dictates otherwise" type ryder to the escape clause. As with every other player, if Chelsea are interested in you, your price seems to double.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

well he'd be a better signing than Roberto Carlos that's for sure. Arsenal should get enough money for sufficient cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

mr_angry wrote:
    Well, it looks like the man who betrayed Arsenal, and then tried to somehow blame them for the whole thing is finally getting his way.

Yeah, its a pain in the arse when a player who you brought up through the club stabs you in the back, isn't it? Loyalty, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

He's no great loss to Arsenal, although they'll need to spend decent money to replace him from a purely footballing point of view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Yeah, its a pain in the arse when a player who you brought up through the club stabs you in the back, isn't it? Loyalty, eh?

Deep Breaths now Reckless,:)

I too am confused as to why Chelsea would pay anything over the value of his escape clause unless they want to play Santa to the Gunners like they did to Newcastle with Duffers. I don't think that is likely to happen .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Unearthly wrote:
    well he'd be a better signing than Roberto Carlos that's for sure. Arsenal should get enough money for sufficient cover.

Got to agree with that. It's a transfer, Arsenal will get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

If the escape clause is 16m then thats all Chelsea need to pay for him. If we are talking of market value lets take it into context of the worlds best full back: How much did Barca pay for Zambrotta?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Any confusion can be expliained by the fact it's from F365. I pray this signing does not happen, let Carlos go to Chelsea and Cole to Real

PHB wrote:
    Any confusion can be expliained by the fact it's from F365.

Good point actually! They should just call it TheSun365...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

The Muppet wrote:

Mmmmm, that irony sure is delicious...;) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The Muppet wrote:

I too am confused as to why Chelsea would pay anything over the value of his escape clause unless they want to play Santa to the Gunners like they did to Newcastle with Duffers. I don't think that is likely to happen .

Maybe English football is now somehow being used for money-laundering..... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Zebra3 wrote:
    Maybe English football is now somehow being used for money-laundering..... :eek:

It's quite obviously a Jewish / FA conspiracy fronted by Abramovich and Dein. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

There was defo something weird about how nice Shepard was while talking about Chelsea yesterday at NUFC's press conference about signing Duff. I've never seen a chairman of one club praise another so much anywhere in the world.

Strange that a plc would just write off stg£12M no problem. :confused:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The story was in the Times today too. They say the 16m release clause doesn't exist, it was merely a gentleman's agreement with Cole, and considering it's Cole, I don't see any reason to honour it :)

The Sun claims Arsenal want Gallas in part exchange, probably because Wenger mentioned about a week ago that he wanted a CB who could play left-back, and Arsenal have been interested before. Can't see it happening mind.

If Cole goes for anything over £20m I will be absolutely delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The Sun claims Arsenal want Gallas in part exchange, probably because Wenger mentioned about a week ago that he wanted a CB who could play left-back, and Arsenal have been interested before. Can't see it happening mind.

Is Gallas' whole reason for being unsettled at chelsea not that he cant play in his proper position? Why would he go to arsenal to be a lb again? He may as well stay at chelsea.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Stekelly wrote:
    Is Gallas' whole reason for being unsettled at chelsea not that he cant play in his proper position? Why would he go to arsenal to be a lb again? He may as well stay at chelsea.
    Arsenal have lost Campbell and Senderos is out for 3 months so that wouldn't necessarily happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

blastman wrote:
    He's no great loss to Arsenal, although they'll need to spend decent money to replace him from a purely footballing point of view.

but he is a great loss, he's arguably the best LB in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

He will be a loss, great player but it's a pity he's such a twat. then again will he go?, how many summers were Arsenal fans resigned to the apparent fact that vieira was gone to juve or real. when i see cole in that blue, i'll believe it, i'll also kick my televison in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

event wrote:
    but he is a great loss, he's arguably the best LB in the world

He's good but he isnt that good!

He signed a new contract recently didnt he? If he did its gona a lot harder to get out of that compared to if he only had a year left.

Chelsea can afford him but if they pay over the odds it gives the rest of the teams they might buy players of a chance to look for transfers over the odds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

It was'nt a huge extension, it was only 2 year or 1 year, so he should be on his last year this season. there was tabloid talk of him sitting out the season and going on a bosman to piss arsenal off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

It was'nt a huge extension, it was only 2 year or 1 year, so he should be on his last year this season. there was tabloid talk of him sitting out the season and going on a bosman to piss arsenal off.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/5215586.stm
    "He has only two years left on his contract. We have not made any movement there and when you have a player in that situation you cannot say much."

kearnsr wrote:
    He's good but he isnt that good!

He signed a new contract recently didnt he? If he did its gona a lot harder to get out of that compared to if he only had a year left.

Chelsea can afford him but if they pay over the odds it gives the rest of the teams they might buy players of a chance to look for transfers over the odds.

who's a better left back at the minute?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Zambrotta, easily.

easily?

how is he easily, what is he so much better at then cole?

id base it on the coming season, where i reckon cole will prove to be a better player

and he's 5 years younger, id much prefer him in my team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

That Clichy fella isnt a bad replacement for Cole though, if they get 20 million sterling, it's a great bit of business, if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

event wrote:
    easily?

id base it on the coming season, where i reckon cole will prove to be a better player

How can you argue about it, and then base your decision on the coming season?

astrofool wrote:
    How can you argue about it, and then base your decision on the coming season?

fair point

but i cant see how he is easily better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

event wrote:
    easily?

:D Hah. That's brilliant! Basing your argument on what may or may not happen in the future and then presenting it as fact. Must try that myself..

• Advertisement

Zambrotta is such a much better player than cole it isn't even funny.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Zambrotta, easily.

Would agree with this.

I think Cole this has a lot to learn and as has been siad he is 5 years to get where Zambrotta is. Could go either way with Cole depending on how he applies himself

Advertisement