Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A5

Options
  • 25-07-2006 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭

I saw pictures of this in AutoExpress today. I think it looks quite well, it's based on Audi's adaptable platform which can be modified to fit cars of most sizes. It's bigger than a 3 series coupe, but smaller than a 6 series yet supposedly has more interior and boot space than either. It's engine will be placed further back in the chassis for better stability.

Due to debut in Geneva it will feature an entry level 1.8T front wheel drive. Also using a 197bhp 2.0T and 3.2FSI V6 both with Quattro, and the 3.0TDI Quattro. It will be available in Manual, Auto and DSG.

I'm looking forward to seeing one of these in the next few years

bb_35824.jpeg

A5Coupe.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

The bottom one is an earlier prototype I think, I did a google search for images

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

3.0TDI Quattro.......Drool :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

I want one.
    It looks like a hard top A4 cab but updated a bit.
    Thought they were keeping the A5 name for a A4 MPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

$Leon$ wrote:
    I want one.
    It looks like a hard top A4 cab but updated a bit.
    Thought they were keeping the A5 name for a A4 MPV.

I wasn't sure, I don't find anything like that out in work either. But I want one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Nice

I always kinda like the A4 conv with the hood up, nice clean lines, and wondered why there wasnt a fixed room version of it I guess this icould be the fixed roof version.
    Bit of a celica line in 2nd pic over the rear wheel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

the top pic looks a bit like the 3 series coupe and the bottom pic like an aston or new jag

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

If you ask me they shouldv'e brought out a Coupe version when the did the A4 Cab, and called both A5's to distinguish them from their mundane saloon counterparts !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

jozi wrote:
    Nice

I always kinda like the A4 conv with the hood up, nice clean lines, and wondered why there wasnt a fixed room version of it I guess this icould be the fixed roof version.
    Bit of a celica line in 2nd pic over the rear wheel

I think eventually an A5 Cabrio will replace the A4 Cabrio.

The 3.0 Tdi quattro will have in excess of 240bhp

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

A bit of a Bentley Continental GT look to it, imo. But then thats not surprising given the VW tie in. Looks good - anyone know when the official Irish launch is?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 gowger

Wow a 3.0TDI quattro would be damn cool. I read about something about this engine having a large graphite component in the material of the block to make it lighter so they can get very good fuel efficiency from the car.

These engines also convert very well to rape seed bio fuel so this machine would give you some serious green horsepower. They also have the EU4 emissions compliance. Who said being environmentally sensible involved huge transport sacrifices? :-)

How much are they though ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

it looks abit like an alfa gt. I would still prefer the old shape 3 series coupe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

I like it - subtle shape/styling - probably attempting to contend with the BMW 6-series. A whiff of the Q7 sharp angles. The range of diesels truely shows diesel is shaking off it's old tractor-like associations these days.

RS4 parked next to me yesterday. I spend a good 5 mins amazing at the brake discs :) I drive an A6 avant right now, some day..some day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Looks like a TT on steroids to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

that's quite nice!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

very nice i'd say it'll be a big hit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Looks like a Audi A4 ridin' a old 3 seires coupe.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

I read about the A5 tdi in fridays independent, 0-62 in 5.9 is this right?
    couldn't complain about that,plus 40 mpg:) smiles for miles!

macshadow wrote:
    I read about the A5 tdi in fridays independent, 0-62 in 5.9 is this right?
    couldn't complain about that,plus 40 mpg:) smiles for miles!

It was also reviewed in the sunday business post.it looks beautiful but cant wait to see the S5

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

There was a thread about this when it was first mentioned in the press. I wasn't too impressed with the look of it myself and it seemed to resemble the Hyundai Coupe. There is an S5 version planned for about the same release date it seems. I'd rather get the new VW Scirocco though.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

I reckon if the two were parked side by side the difference would be very clear.the audi would look very substantial compared to the hyundai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

It just lookes quite ugly and over stretched from the side. I'm just saying I thought they looked similar, not dissing either car even though I don't like the coupe myself. Think the a5 is just missing something

• Registered Users Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭MarkN

hi lads..

There will be some S5's in the country by end of next month I am told! I got the brochures for the A5 and S5 in the post last week.

The 3.0 TDI is a very quick diesel, no doubt about it.

The S5 starts at €85,000 list. 354 bhp :cool:

I wonder how much I would get for the S3 against one!

MarkN wrote:
    hi lads..

There will be some S5's in the country by end of next month I am told! I got the brochures for the A5 and S5 in the post last week.

The 3.0 TDI is a very quick diesel, no doubt about it.

The S5 starts at €85,000 list. 354 bhp :cool:

I wonder how much I would get for the S3 against one!

We know you want one.I love your S3.Before you trade it / Sell it please can i have a spin in it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Bland Bland Bland. There was one on the tarmac at Schipol AP on Friday waiting to be loaded onto a Jumbo, and it's was black, and plain dull :rolleyes:

Gatster wrote:
    Bland Bland Bland. There was one on the tarmac at Schipol AP on Friday waiting to be loaded onto a Jumbo, and it's was black, and plain dull :rolleyes:

Not the s5, thats the normal one thats dull :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭MarkN

All depends on the spec of the car I suppose..

But how a V8 with that much bhp could be dull I dunno!! :)

I think you either love the understated look of Audis or you don't.

DrDre - nip down to your local Audi dealer and blag a test drive!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

There were 2 lhd models on a stand at the Irish Open in Adare last w/e and another one on a pontoon moored in the lake.

It's quite a big car. Nice certainly but not drop dead gorgeous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

drdre wrote:
    It was also reviewed in the sunday business post.it looks beautiful but cant wait to see the S5

Got the new TG mag over the weekend to browse while travelling...they reviewed the S5 and didnt seem too impressed..... think it got 12/20 or something. Then again what do they know eh? :rolleyes:
    They never seem to rate Audi's too highly. Muppets :D Think its a beautiful car myself.

Advertisement