Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 YEAR OLD another milestone!

Options
  • 25-07-2006 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    my wife and I were talking last night and after researching the subject we have decided now to stop sterilising his bottles. In fairness. hes onnly drinking them as a drink at this stage, and is eating solids away. So just wondering anyone got any thoughts or experience with this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

Hi there,
    General consensus is to sterilize until 12 months though many folk stop well before that. We stopped at 12 months & he was grand - congrats on reaching the milestone

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭newwifey

hi
    we stopped at 9 months as we were going camping to France and couldnt bring the steraliser with us. At that stage she was crawling around and eating dirt anyway so it seemed a little pointless. In France parents stop steralising after the first month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

I stopped at 10mths for both of my lads. Kept it up with doodies for a while longer though. Pretty much what NW said, they put anything into their mouths for a chew - because they will still be teething etc. Not much point really, but do wash everything well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

I stopped at about 10.5 months.. I didn't see the point in continuing the farce when the child eats stones. He's still here at 13 months ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I stopped sterilising when I caught my son teething on the wheels of the buggy - I thought nothing in those bottles that are going to compare to the muck on the buggy wheels even if I only use hot water & washing-up liquid! :o:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Have you tought about moving away from bottles and to a feeding cup ?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

Congrats. On my first I sterilised in steriliser for a year but on my second I stopped at six months.... then I just put the bottles etc in a holder in a top drawer of the dishwasher - I have up to a 65degree wash on mine so was sorted......

Mind you on my first child moved straight onto an avent sipper cup at one year old.. but my second stills like the old bottle at a year and a half and detests the sipper cups but ab. loves those little bottles that have plastic straws already in them - the little top can close and you press a button to open it... it also has a string so they can carry them (I've take it off)... have no idea what you call them but they come in all different characters .... children love them because they can be independant and open/close it themselves..

Its such a personal decision and I reckon whatever works for you and your wife and, of course, your child, just go for it .....!! The young years go by so quickly ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Thaedydal wrote:
    Have you tought about moving away from bottles and to a feeding cup ?

were introducing that at the moment. however at times young son thinks they are a toy. but were working on it.

Advertisement