Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serious lack of nightclubs in limerick...

Options
  • 25-07-2006 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hey,
    i've been nightclubbing in limerick now for a long time just because i live nearby, but have always reckoned there is a serious lack of variety in terms of pubs and clubs here. theres a few old reliables, i.e. trinners, icon, mollies nancies, smyths, but for a city of its size thats nothin compared to what cork and galway have!!!
    whats your experience of limerick compared to other places?? ever lived here or even just visited?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 5 Times

Limerick is shocking for nightclubs.

Trooms is still basically the same as it was when it was docs.

Club icon is basically a late bar. Dark, dirty mangy kip.

Thats it basically.

If you are into a more mundane, pretentious venue then you have the Sin Bin.

If you are a weirdo or have social problems there is costellos.

If you are a naive, beer guzzling, unhygenic student you have The Lodge.

In all of these places there is not much craic. Limerick people are very serious and the law of the scumbag is very evident. Nancys is about as sophisticated as it gets. There are knackers and wannabe's everywhere and the bouncers will invariably give you grief or be viloent for no reason. Virtually all of them are criminals or ex-criminals.

The pub scene is crap. The pubs only have a good atmosphere on saturday nights. Friday nights are crap as there isn't that many people out. I was in Smyths recently on a Friday night and there was less than 10 people in there and it was after half ten. The social scene is dead. There is hardly one traditional Irish pub in the city.

I always knew it was bad but it was only when I moved to Dublin a couple of years back that I realised Limerick is completely dead. Just leave - your life will get better. There is very little craic in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭youthacademy

ha, my thoughts exactly to the T, wanted to see what an smaller town person thought of it though..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

A friend of mine is gay and a few of us went to the globe one saturday. Had a great night, no stuck up guys and girls thinking they were gods gift to the world (trinity rooms anyone), just a good laugh with some chart/80's music. Also, absolutely no smell of BO, I can't stress that enough as it's quite rare to find a pub but especially club without it these days :)

Worth looking at :D

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭rorymagory

5 Times wrote:

Thats it basically.

In all of these places there is not much craic. Limerick people are very serious and the law of the scumbag is very evident. Nancys is about as sophisticated as it gets. There are knackers and wannabe's everywhere and the bouncers will invariably give you grief or be viloent for no reason. Virtually all of them are criminals or ex-criminals.

The pub scene is crap. The pubs only have a good atmosphere on saturday nights. Friday nights are crap as there isn't that many people out. I was in Smyths recently on a Friday night and there was less than 10 people in there and it was after half ten. The social scene is dead. There is hardly one traditional Irish pub in the city.

I always knew it was bad but it was only when I moved to Dublin a couple of years back that I realised Limerick is completely dead. Just leave - your life will get better. There is very little craic in Limerick.

Then make your own fun and stop whining.
    I'm wondering do you go to nightclubs to have fun with friends or to be seen? It doesn't matter a ****e where you'd go, with that attitude it sounds like you're gonna have a terrible time.

I love your comment on Costelloes. It's completely untrue and it made me laugh. You're spot on about bouncers/scumbags in general though (except for Costelloes....you'll know who that 'bouncer' is). Still, like anywhere, if you look for trouble you'll find it easy enough. I've never had any trouble and I don't see what the fuss is about. Limerick's as much fun as you make it yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Well this is a rubbish thread.

Is everyone on this board a manic depressive or something?

There's plenty of good spots to go out in Limerick, especially at the weekend. Midweek in the summer Limerick is nothing great but it's great fun at the weekend.

Is anyone surprised that Dublin a city 10 times the size of Limerick has a better nightlife?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

5 Times wrote:

Thats it basically.

Pretty accurate. Except regarding Costellos, IMO, there's good craic to be had if you're not a tool who assumes everyone there is a 'weirdo' :rolleyes:

Nah, Trinity Rooms is a good club, the Icon isn't my thing but it's no worse than most clubs in this country, same as the SinBin.

I don't get the Limerick is serious, knacker vibe crap. walk down Shop street and Temple Bar at half 2 and it's the same vibe, it's called drunkeness.

Btw, there is a new club opening opposite the Icon in a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

Yeah? Whats the deal with it music wise? Anymore details?

Not a clue, originally it was going to be superpub type place but I reckon the Cornmarket kinda stole their thunder on that so it's going to be a nightclub now. I imagine it will be fairly mainstream, try and catch the Nancies crowd.

All in all, the Cornmarket area has improved in recent years (I know the usual "I want my MTV2" whiners will disagree), with a few decent restaurants there too. I wonder what the Market Nightclub will be like when it's redone?

Any more on the club beneath the Wicked Chicken?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

If someone bought the Jesuits and turned it into a Super Club that would be so class! only problem is the location! I thought the Franciscans was closing down? that would eb a perfect location! Its name should be called something with reference to a church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

If someone bought the Jesuits and turned it into a Super Club that would be so class! only problem is the location! I thought the Franciscans was closing down? that would eb a perfect location! Its name should be called something with reference to a church.

Jesus, that would be f**king mad, leave as much as the inside as is. You could turn the altar into the DJ box!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

clubs here a pretty shocking really, especially since you have to pay a **** load to get in and what do you really get for it? gross sticky floors, drunk eejits falling on you or stepping on your feet and stuck up people. im surprised they dont do a the deal a lot of places do that if you're in before a certain time its cheaper..
    i avoid clubs in limerick purely because you have to pay to get in and head to places like the wicked chicken which is a class wee venue and the music is actually decent. not this "dance music" crap which anyone could do with a half decent computer program.

i think club owners have to realise that they cant expect people to pay what theyre paying to get into a dingy room with a few lights and some music.they need to get their act together and stop thinking about their pockets and more about the punters..

ellenmelon wrote:
    clubs here a pretty shocking really, especially since you have to pay a **** load to get in and what do you really get for it? gross sticky floors, drunk eejits falling on you or stepping on your feet and stuck up people. im surprised they dont do a the deal a lot of places do that if you're in before a certain time its cheaper..
    i avoid clubs in limerick purely because you have to pay to get in and head to places like the wicked chicken which is a class wee venue and the music is actually decent. not this "dance music" crap which anyone could do with a half decent computer program.

i think club owners have to realise that they cant expect people to pay what theyre paying to get into a dingy room with a few lights and some music.they need to get their act together and stop thinking about their pockets and more about the punters..

You've just described clubs all over the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

I agree its a joke having to pay €12 to get into a club (and then €4.60 for a pint), but these clubs wont change until they stop loosing customers. Trinity rooms or Icon are packed any Saturday night. I have nearly stopped going to clubs now, its just way too expensive (unless i am totally hammered :D) normally just go to a late bar or Costello's (which is great craic and only €5, but a bit of a ****hole). Also whats going on with the price of a pint these days its like €4.40 in most city center pubs (which is more than it costs in the center of London) Nestor's is only €3 and its a nice bar (some scumbags though). What happened to wetherspoons opening in Limerick, I heard they were opening ages ago?. They would really shake up the bars and clubs if they had a late license

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

I heard that place beside nancys is a small live venue type thing. Hope they get some good stuff in there and not the usual cover band/cheesy dj malarky that dominates the rest of the city.

vkid wrote:
    I heard that place beside nancys is a small live venue type thing. Hope they get some good stuff in there and not the usual cover band/cheesy dj malarky that dominates the rest of the city.

Thats the most annoying thing about Dolans Warehouse, it's one of the best venues in the country (well outside Dublin) but it rarely tries anything else.

I'd agree as well. Usually wouldn;t bother with clubs in Limerick anymore.
    Costelloes though is a **** hole and that smoking area is a death trap(how are they getting away with it?). Wouldn;t give them 5Eu to get in. At least other places give themselves a lick of paint. Costelloes is dirty run down and drink is pricey and they must making a fortune. The security staff is interesting as well..
    Wicked chicken is nice except for Saturdays there are too packed and that bar next door is a bit dodgey.

irishguy wrote:
    I agree its a joke having to pay €12 to get into a club (and then €4.60 for a pint), but these clubs wont change until they stop loosing customers. Trinity rooms or Icon are packed any Saturday night. I have nearly stopped going to clubs now, its just way too expensive (unless i am totally hammered :D) normally just go to a late bar or Costello's (which is great craic and only €5, but a bit of a ****hole).

You've just described clubs all over the world.

you're wrong actually. ive been to clubs in france,scotland, england and in new zealand.in a city of 400,000 where i lived there was one club that was pretty dodgy but it was one of about 12 or 13. its only since ive been in ireland that ive seen dives which some people like to call "clubs".scummy pieces of crap that they are. if i was a limerick club owner i would ashamed..99 percent of them have no redeeming features. no way are they going to get my patronage! €10? for what?

Really, I've been in clubs in England, Scoland, France, Wales, America and Spain and generally they're no better than Irish ones, seriously. Sure you get great ones all over but by and large they are messy dirty places.

• Advertisement

Really, I've been in clubs in England, Scoland, France, Wales, America and Spain and generally they're no better than Irish ones, seriously. Sure you get great ones all over but by and large they are messy dirty places.

you must have fabulous taste in clubs then.

Thats the most annoying thing about Dolans Warehouse, it's one of the best venues in the country (well outside Dublin) but it rarely tries anything else.

Agreed. Way too many cover bands and the same groups over and over again.
    Aslan anyone?

vkid wrote:
    Agreed. Way too many cover bands and the same groups over and over again.
    Aslan anyone?

ive seen them 2 time more than id want to (the boyfriend liked them back in the day) they're grand like, but its exactly the same everytime. they know the place will fill up and they cash in on peoples nostalgia..
    nothing wrong with it like, just gets a small bit boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Surrender

T-rooms had 2 killer Dj's playing house/Techno in the smoking area one Thursday, anyone know where they went? The one good night I had in a Limerick nightclub, i've been here 4 months. Somebody sort this.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭youthacademy

Surrender wrote:
    T-rooms had 2 killer Dj's playing house/Techno in the smoking area one Thursday, anyone know where they went? The one good night I had in a Limerick nightclub, i've been here 4 months. Somebody sort this.
    yeah saw them alright, a lad on the drums and the other a dj?? :cool:

yeah i heard something was going up next to nancies alright, although the cornmarket was the great white hope when it opened and wasn't too impressed to be honest. kinda reminded me of charlies , which is a creche.
    yeah costelloes is a hole alright but at least they dont have bouncers that'll kick the sh1t outa ya for farting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭sioda

Costellos is not a hole its a museum for twenty somethings like myself who want to review their childhood through something that hasn't changed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

sioda wrote:
    Costellos is not a hole its a museum for twenty somethings like myself who want to review their childhood through something that hasn't changed

Those are exactly the words I was looking for! I don't give a toss about sticky carpets, mouldy wallpaper or concentration camp-esque smoking area. The craic is great, there are never any pretentious knobs in Costellos. Plus, going to Costellos is less shameful than going to Termights

ellenmelon wrote:
    you must have fabulous taste in clubs then.

No, just regular clubs. You seem determined to knock something just becuase it's Irish. God, when I recall the clubs in France or Boston, some Irish places seem almost cutting edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I think thats probably the pub being built by the two brothers who owned Finns. They had the plans up in Finns before they closed and it didnt include a club but it could have changed since then.

• Advertisement

Yep, same guys, Flannery's as far as I know. Originally it was a supposed to be a bigpub but apparently that's been changed.

Advertisement