Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serious lack of nightclubs in limerick...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Any word on a club/late bar opening in the basement of Player's on Thomas St?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

gaf1983 wrote:
    Any word on a club/late bar opening in the basement of Player's on Thomas St?

First I heard, tell me everything you know, everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

So what do people consider makes a good niteclub? The supposed best niteclubs in the likes of ibiza etc are just as bad, overcrowded, expensive, full of tossers, unless your really into your dance music I dont see the point. If I had to pick it would prob be Costellos personally because I like the music but mostly because there are usually seats where you can get a large group of mates sitting around together and have a laugh. By the way termites which used to be free in (alrite for an extra few drinks if you didnt fancy a proper club) is now charging €5 in on sat. Fock that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Lululady

jaysus there is a lot of manic depressives about Limerick here............

I think Limerick is as good as anywhere else for clubbing in ireland...

After all a nightclub is a nightclub a lot of people every pretentious about are going out...if u wanna have fun and enjoy urself u will no matter where u go

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I haven't been in a nightclub in some time :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭youthacademy

Lululady wrote:
    jaysus there is a lot of manic depressives about Limerick here............

I think Limerick is as good as anywhere else for clubbing in ireland...

After all a nightclub is a nightclub a lot of people every pretentious about are going out...if u wanna have fun and enjoy urself u will no matter where u go

well fair enough, you'l make your own craic no matter where you go, but your a twenty something on a sat night in limerick, you'd have to agree the choice is V limited...
    trooms is actually a good layout of a night club but its often wedged cause its kinda small for limericks premier club, and not to be stereotyping but it always filled with pretenious L4 heads( L4= Limericks answer to d4), which is why i like a bit of costellos for the craic. you could count on one hand the nightclubs in limerick, and no i'm not a minic depressive, just would like a bit of variety for the city. Galway for example.....
    Tribes
    The Radisson
    Angels
    Black Box
    Boo Radleys
    Central Park
    Cuba
    GPO
    Halo
    Karma Nightclub
    Queen Street Club
    The Vic Nightclub
    Venue Nightclub

Tribes is a gay club, Angels is a strip club, Black Box is a large music venue but not often used as clubs (was one once a week for a while but I think that's over now?), Venue is clsed down, think Queen street and the Vic are the same place (may be wrong though).

Like anything, Limerick's nightlife could be improved, but that doesn't make it crap. If you're going to include things like the Black Box you may as well include UCH or Millenium threatre in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

I think Galway may have more places to go out in the center of town because its so compact. Limerick is allot more spread out if UL was in the city center then there would be allot more studenty clubs/pubs around. Some people go to UL for 4 years and never go to the city center. Trinity rooms is a good club by any standards, but it gets way too busy on the weekends and is expensive. During the week its class, they have just the back part of it open and its free to get in (they hand out comps everywhere). We need another few clubs/late bars especially with outdoor spaces (courtyard in trinity rooms or outside the locke is great). Allot of clubs/pubs that are being built arent very imaginative its just a room with speakers and a bar. Look at some other clubs around the world for inspiration, hire some dancers/performers, have more live music (like Dolans) and for gods sake will someone open a comedy club (i miss Thursdays in Dolans)

Comedy Club in Nestors Basement every Wednesday, or there was during the college year.

I agree that UL is too far out of town to have the same influence as NUIG has in Galway, but things are changing with free buses etc. Remember Galway has been a college city for over 150 years, UL is only a University for the last 18 years or so? It takes time for a culture to become part of the town.

Comedy Club in Nestors Basement every Wednesday, or there was during the college year. QUOTE]

Really pity they didn't advertise the dam thing, I have been in nestors a few times and they didn't even have a poster up for it.

True UL has only been around about 17 years as a University, but in fairness how long does it take for business people to figure out that students drink ALOT and open up some more bars/clubs in Limerick. During the college year all the clubs are packed all week long, they only get quite during the week in the Summer. If CIE ran a night bus service on the main bus roots allot more students/general public would come into town at night (for the life of me i cant understand why they dont do night buses to some areas, there is defiantly the demand there for it)

• Advertisement

Incompetence? In Limerick? Never.

I agree completely, but I guess it takes time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

trooms is actually a good layout of a night club but its often wedged cause its kinda small for limericks premier club, and not to be stereotyping but it always filled with pretenious L4 heads( L4= Limericks answer to d4),

:D L4 heads...love it. great description!! Thats what I don't like about trooms is the crowd but its a wicked place. Always was though even in the Docs years which it hasn't changed much from.

Lets be realistic here though,most of the clubs in Galway are even ****tier than Limericks. They just have a few more but most of Galways nightlife is about the pubs which they have many many good ones and none of the attitude you getn from pubs here. There is not one really really nice bar in Limerick with a laid back vibe and good music. They're either dumps with good enough tunesor nice places with cheesy dj's and/or a load of attitude
    Of the ones I;ve been to in the last 3 months in Galway
    GPO is a dump and full of more scobes than you'd see in any Limerick club. Cuba's live/comedyvenue is ok but the bar and club are crapola.
    Black Box is not a club
    Central Park - seriously , thats laughable
    Ditto for Halo and Karma
    The Vic is also not a night club. Its a bar with a makeshift DJ box and is terrible.
    Roisin Dubhs is ok but is also not a club. Nice new beer garden though

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

No, just regular clubs. You seem determined to knock something just becuase it's Irish. God, when I recall the clubs in France or Boston, some Irish places seem almost cutting edge.

yeah, so i spent loads of money getting my irish passport and birth certificate..moved over here from new zealand at the age of 18 and have lived here and you say " i seem determinded to knock something because its irish"? you have to be bloody kidding me.how the heck did you take my comments on limerick to be my opinions on the whole of ireland?i wouldnt bloody be here if i wanted to knock things that are irish and i wouldnt have an irish boyfriend would i? i wouldnt be fairly proud of being an irish woman that happened to be born in new zealand?

you say i seem determined to knock "anything irish", maybe you seem to be determined to see limerick through rose tinted glasses and deny that it has its problems.

ellenmelon wrote:
    yeah, so i spent loads of money getting my irish passport and birth certificate..moved over here from new zealand at the age of 18 and have lived here and you say " i seem determinded to knock something because its irish"? you have to be bloody kidding me.how the heck did you take my comments on limerick to be my opinions on the whole of ireland?i wouldnt bloody be here if i wanted to knock things that are irish and i wouldnt have an irish boyfriend would i? i wouldnt be fairly proud of being an irish woman that happened to be born in new zealand?

you say i seem determined to knock "anything irish", maybe you seem to be determined to see limerick through rose tinted glasses and deny that it has its problems.

You're comments were about all Irish clubs, last week you said Ireland was a good place to visit but thats about it etc, in fairness Ellen, you're hardly radically positive. You've posted several times how you want to get out of Ireland and back to New Zealand asap.
    I mean, that's fair enough, if you're not happy you should leave but no need to bring everyone else down too.

You're comments were about all Irish clubs, last week you said Ireland was a good place to visit but thats about it etc, in fairness Ellen, you're hardly radically positive. You've posted several times how you want to get out of Ireland and back to New Zealand asap.
    I mean, that's fair enough, if you're not happy you should leave but no need to bring everyone else down too.

when i said
    "clubs here a pretty shocking really, especially since you have to pay a **** load to get in and what do you really get for it? gross sticky floors, drunk eejits falling on you or stepping on your feet and stuck up people. im surprised they dont do a the deal a lot of places do that if you're in before a certain time its cheaper..
    i avoid clubs in limerick purely because you have to pay to get in and head to places like the wicked chicken which is a class wee venue and the music is actually decent. not this "dance music" crap which anyone could do with a half decent computer program"..
    did you not realise i was specifically talking about limerick clubs? i would love for you to point out where abouts i said "all clubs in ireland suck". cause i didnt. so dont put words in my mouth please..stuff like that really annoys me.

and to futher prove my point that i wasnt knocking the whole of ireland (how can i? i havent lived in every town and city), did you not notice that anything that was said in the other thread that you were referring to was in a limerick city forum so i still dont see how or why you thought that i "seem determined to knock something just becuase it's Irish". because i wasnt.if i wanted to knock ireland i would've posted in a general irish forum wouldnt i?

im not radically positive? how do you figure this?you dont know me so dont make assumptions about my personality please.

and could you please provide some further information as to how i am bringing "everyone else down too"? ive not had any other comments from people saying that i was making them feel depressed like you say.you are again assuming things.

irishguy wrote:
    Comedy Club in Nestors Basement every Wednesday, or there was during the college year. QUOTE]

Really pity they didn't advertise the dam thing, I have been in nestors a few times and they didn't even have a poster up for it.

True UL has only been around about 17 years as a University, but in fairness how long does it take for business people to figure out that students drink ALOT and open up some more bars/clubs in Limerick. During the college year all the clubs are packed all week long, they only get quite during the week in the Summer. If CIE ran a night bus service on the main bus roots allot more students/general public would come into town at night (for the life of me i cant understand why they dont do night buses to some areas, there is defiantly the demand there for it)

very true, i'm a student out in ul(one of those beerguzzling lodge goers as someone at the start very nicely put it). limerick during the weeek does tend to be packed, and a nitelink runs for about half an hour tuesdays and thursday to ul for a small fee small sometimes. if cie ran a few buses untill half two or three like they do in dublin, they'd make a fortune. but its location is v far from the city alright. which is why groody opened, and isn't doing as well on the student front as people thought it would.

irishguy wrote:

very true, i'm a student out in ul(one of those beerguzzling lodge goers as someone at the start very nicely put it). limerick during the weeek does tend to be packed, and a nitelink runs for about half an hour tuesdays and thursday to ul for a small fee small sometimes. if cie ran a few buses untill half two or three like they do in dublin, they'd make a fortune. but its location is v far from the city alright. which is why groody opened, and isn't doing as well on the student front as people thought it would.

its a pain eh? unless they're are a load of you to all chip in on a cab you dont really have much of a way getting home (walking=not fun!). i lived in the castletroy and annacotty area's for about a year and a half and it was such a pain trying to get into town and back home..they need to sort the bus service out there asap. bus eireann know there is a problem but they're just taking their sweet time about it.

edit did you hear about those bus drivers up in dublin?(i think it was there)..they wont drive in certain areas after 7pm at night..and i know there's a difference between dublin and limerick but cant you just imagine the bus drivers here saying "we wont drive buses full of drunk students" blah blah blah..

ul are having major problems with drunkun students and the family houses in the location, maybe this is one of the reasons, people with no way home only to walk

ul are having major problems with drunkun students and the family houses in the location, maybe this is one of the reasons, people with no way home only to walk

its the same at the uni back home..its in a residential area and every year (usually the first couple of weeks of semester) people complain about students..it usually dies down after a while and people get used to it after a while.its not as bad as there though because uni students live all over the city (theres a bus that does a circuit of the city so you dont have to live right near the uni)i think UL needs to liase with the families around the area, even if its to make them feel like theyre being listened too (they could already be doing this but since my mum left UL im not up on whats happening out that way).

if their was a shuttle service id say theyre would be less complaints because drunk people walking home wouldnt be walking past peoples houses and vandalising or whatever..(as you said..)

:)

Well this is a rubbish thread.

Is everyone on this board a manic depressive or something?

There's plenty of good spots to go out in Limerick, especially at the weekend. Midweek in the summer Limerick is nothing great but it's great fun at the weekend.

Is anyone surprised that Dublin a city 10 times the size of Limerick has a better nightlife?
    tsh!!!;) The best nightlife is in galway and its is half the size of limerick!:p

• Advertisement

ellenmelon wrote:
    ... did you hear about those bus drivers up in dublin?(i think it was there)..they wont drive in certain areas after 7pm at night..and i know there's a difference between dublin and limerick but cant you just imagine the bus drivers here saying "we wont drive buses full of drunk students" blah blah blah..

CIE drivers wouldnt drive to certain parts of Limerick after dark a while back, some delivery companys still wont deliver to certain parts of the city after dark. If they only ran the raheen, Castletroy and caherdavin i dont think there would be a problem

tsh!!!;) The best nightlife is in galway and its is half the size of limerick!:p

Very good pubs in Galway, the nightclubs are pretty run of the mill.

ellenmelon wrote:
    you're wrong actually. ive been to clubs in france,scotland, england and in new zealand.in a city of 400,000 where i lived there was one club that was pretty dodgy but it was one of about 12 or 13. its only since ive been in ireland that ive seen dives which some people like to call "clubs".scummy pieces of crap that they are. if i was a limerick club owner i would ashamed..99 percent of them have no redeeming features. no way are they going to get my patronage! €10? for what?

Sorry if I took you up wrong, but thats what gave me the impression you were discussing Irish clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

ellenmelon wrote:
    its the same at the uni back home..its in a residential area and every year (usually the first couple of weeks of semester) people complain about students..it usually dies down after a while and people get used to it after a while.its not as bad as there though because uni students live all over the city (theres a bus that does a circuit of the city so you dont have to live right near the uni)i think UL needs to liase with the families around the area, even if its to make them feel like theyre being listened too (they could already be doing this but since my mum left UL im not up on whats happening out that way).

if their was a shuttle service id say theyre would be less complaints because drunk people walking home wouldnt be walking past peoples houses and vandalising or whatever..(as you said..)

:)

The ULSU and UL are fairly active at liasing with the local community. Don't think night buses from town would stop vandalism and noise, that seems to mostly be people from the Stables, Lodge and house parties. A late bus back from town to Castletroy/Annacotty would be a major incentive to go out though.

Agree with you re. the wicked chicken. There's a deadly vibe in there. Limerick could do with 3 or 4 more venues like that scattered around the place.

Sorry if I took you up wrong, but thats what gave me the impression you were discussing Irish clubs.

thanks i spose..
    as i said, we're posting in a limerick forum so unless specified, im usually posting about limerick related stuff.

Would love to see the Chicken take over the Precinct and reopen the club downstairs, would make for a great venue.

There's just something not right about the Precinct, free darts or not.

cornbb wrote:
    The ULSU and UL are fairly active at liasing with the local community. Don't think night buses from town would stop vandalism and noise, that seems to mostly be people from the Stables, Lodge and house parties. A late bus back from town to Castletroy/Annacotty would be a major incentive to go out though.

Agree with you re. the wicked chicken. There's a deadly vibe in there. Limerick could do with 3 or 4 more venues like that scattered around the place.

they'd have to be eh? it makes more trouble trying to bury your head in the sand about it! :)

the chicken is class..its so much more laidback and chilled out like.its like a place i used to nearly lived in back home :) if i had the capital id definately set up somewhere similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Its cool alright. Its a pain in the ass having to hold your pint over your head to make room for it on a saturday night though. Hence the need for 3 or 4 wicked chickens - I think that would be better than one big chicken!

The music in there is great too but it'd be nice to broaden the selection a bit. There's nowhere in limerick that plays decent electronic music, for example.

Would love to see the Chicken take over the Precinct and reopen the club downstairs, would make for a great venue.

There's just something not right about the Precinct, free darts or not.

its a bit odd alright,has no soul like..its fab building and could be awesome if it it was a kind of complex of a club (but with the chicken atmosphere if that makes sense)i was in there for a meeting once and it was empty and felt really wierd. its pretty much joined with the chicken already so wouldnt be too much of a hassle. the lads that own the chicken are on fairly good terms with the owners of the precinct so you never know what could happen..even if the club was opened back up.

• Advertisement

cornbb wrote:
    Its cool alright. Its a pain in the ass having to hold your pint over your head to make room for it on a saturday night though. Hence the need for 3 or 4 wicked chickens - I think that would be better than one big chicken!

The music in there is great too but it'd be nice to broaden the selection a bit. There's nowhere in limerick that plays decent electronic music, for example.

LOL yeah, the first time i was in there i was like "we'll all be on great terms by the end of the night" all up close and personal like :) tis a bit of a squeeze but worth it..

the music is great but sometimes it definately reflects the owners tastes or whoevers working the bar..
    im surprised at the lack of electronic music in limerick as i know people that like it...the chicken (or the boatclub too) could pick it up..

Advertisement