Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serious lack of nightclubs in limerick...

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I'd love to see whoever buys the Bank take the success of places like Cuba and the Roisin Dubh in Galway to heart and try something similar in Limerick.

I hear the new owners of Bar3 (Nevada Smiths) are trying to get a concert going on Bedford Row every Friday, since the one for the opening was such a success and apparently Mickey Martins want to really take over Augustian Lane as their beer garden and improve the sound system outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I think Limerick isn't quite cosmopolitan enough for a diverse range of music in the city yet.. its either pop tripe, the worst kind of dance music, or ear-splitting 3rd rate bands. Surprisingly, limerick actually has a fairly vibrant classical music scene, but of course no-one gives a crap about that.

Lots of decent stuff on in Dolans of course, but you have to pay through the nose for it. The boatclub has some pretty good gigs sometimes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Some good electronica nights in Dolans and sometimes Trinity rooms. The thing is any place that plays "dance" type music attracts scum, which we have allot of in Limerick this is why there aren't electronica clubs/pubs in Limerick. I worked in a few bars in Limerick and was told by the owner not to play more than a handful of dance tunes in a night as it would attract too much scum. The Boat club would be a good place for some good electronica music, the lads that run it are sound and would be up for it I would say.

I think a lot of punters would be turned off by 'electronic' or 'electronica' because of that same dance music and scum association. Its a totally different kettle of fish though, I'm sure there would be sufficient demand for an electronica night in one of the bigger clubs. Me and most of my friends would be, at least :)

They tried it in Trinity Rooms a few times on a Friday and it was just loud hard house or trance, the only people who wanted to go were scumbags to take pills. This scared off there usual Friday night crowd and trinity rooms started loosing business. What they want is some proper music like at electric picnic, this will scare off the scum and everyone will be happy. Never met a person who didnt like EP

• Advertisement

cornbb wrote:
    I think Limerick isn't quite cosmopolitan enough for a diverse range of music in the city yet.. its either pop tripe, the worst kind of dance music, or ear-splitting 3rd rate bands. Surprisingly, limerick actually has a fairly vibrant classical music scene, but of course no-one gives a crap about that.

Lots of decent stuff on in Dolans of course, but you have to pay through the nose for it. The boatclub has some pretty good gigs sometimes too.

Limerick is supposedly a city of between 90,000 - 110,000 people, surely there's a market for it here?

Limerick is supposedly a city of between 90,000 - 110,000 people, surely there's a market for it here?

Thats an awful lot of people, but is it enough to fill a club which would only cater for a small niche of music fans? I'm sure 100,000 people have a fairly diverse range in music, but lets be honest, out of the small percentage of that population that goes clubbing, the great majority are out to get pissed, get their leg over or get into a fight, and are not that interested in broadening their musical horizons.

A boutique music venue like the wicked chicken is just what the city needs, and again the place could do with more of em, but most people simply won't be interested.

The Wicked Chicken shows there is market there, now we just need to find a way to expand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 brigs

Actually there are no niteclubs worth mentioning in Limerick.. It's a pretty sad state. While Limerick has some of the best pubs in the country, it lacks big time in clubs that actually have decent music and an atmosphere. You've got d'****eCon (designed in 5 hours, all over the place - music is ****e charts that we (I) want to escape from), The PosersRooms (Full of ****es who hope they get their picture in d'Post, Weekender or Celias backpage), D'CowMarket (refurbished for what... I don't know!!) and of course 'Gran' Teds (no comment!!).. Bring back the days of The Works and The Royal George... Real music for real people, great craic and down to earth entertainment.... Bring on the comments!..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

brigs wrote:
    Bring back the days of The Works and The Royal George... Real music for real people, great craic and down to earth entertainment.... Bring on the comments!..

Dude! You left out The Pery!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭StarryBud

Yeah but where are the loose women by the way? Where do they hang out? Where can you go and be guaranteed that some young wan will be hanging off your bellend?

And up Celia's back passage is more like it.

StarryBud wrote:
    Yeah but where are the loose women by the way? Where do they hang out? Where can you go and be guaranteed that some young wan will be hanging off your bellend?

And up Celia's back passage is more like it.

Trinity rooms would be the place to go then, i never leave without scoring :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭StarryBud

I'll let you know if I score this weekend so.

Cheers bud.

Advertisement