Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Race Week !!

Options
  • 25-07-2006 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

So its nearly upon us ..... !! ....who's going !!......
    Will be there for Wednesday /Thursday and Friday .......

Am a regular visitor to Galway but need a few pointer for race week ....

Thursday is the big one ..Ladies day ......
    Just wondering where does "the crowd" kick off ...... and what time do you to get into the Raddisson that night before its too packed ..... ?

If you have a few yarns about race week ..... that girl you pulled .. those stairs you fell down etc etc ..... lets have them !!:D :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

"The crowd" is bloody everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Wouldnt bother my arse with the Radisson its good but so is everywhere else.You will literally have to go there before the second last race on Thursday to get in and at that you will most likely be queing.Just go down to cross street its mental around there.

Will be there most days as every other year,although im not sure on Thursday.Its just a feckin nightmare up there every year and last year was the worst.Crazy ques for everything,20 mins to get a drink,barging your way to get a bet on and you wont see most of the races because the stand is always packed and thats down the Mayors Garden,the quieter end????No comfort there at all on Thursday even all the women dont make up for that,theres plenty there on Wednesday so come Thurs its no biggie.The Umpa Lumpa look doesnt do much for me anyway.

Crowds are everywhere,no kickoff spot.Rememeber to leave early on enough to avoid sitting in traffic.It just a marathon of drinking ,partying and eating,costs a fortune but well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

go to an off licence, get beer and head to quay/cross street. Forget about a nightclub, this is where all the fun is.
    Also great spots to stop in along the way like the quays and bazaar to reload if needed.
    The thursday night has to be the best night out of all.
    But remember, this is in consideration that the weather stays dry, especially if you are out with ladies

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm actually heading away on Race Week. Too much people, too much drink etc etc... I live in city centre and they are literally outside my door - drinking, shouting, pissing and vomiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭galwaygirleen

Well i have to agree ladies day is absolutley crazy at the races. Wouldnt bother me arse going to the raddisson.
    For the best buzz drink out on the street down around the quays and you'll have the best laugh. Its just a pity the vineyard is gone, used to be great when all yer buddies where based around the dew drop and ya could just buy a crate of beer and drink at a lot less money and have great craic. Hole in the wall is usually good on the wednesday night but then again till be jammed like everywhere.

i love the buzz of race week!! pity i bloomin workin the good days!!:rolleyes:

everyone has the best laugh no matter where ya go !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

well the fact that all the bars in Galway City have free exemptions from this sat (29th) night until sun week(6th) the place will be mental the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭sgthighway

The bars don't normally use the Bar Exemption on the Monday Night. They only get x amount a year and Monday is always a quiet night so they don't waste it.
    I would recommend you go to the off license and head for Quay St.

its slightly different for race week this year. the late nights for the year have been rearanged to give the race back it's full seven lates and just so happens that GAF is running straight into it. you cannot reuse these nights again if you don't use them.
    either which way, off license and anywhere outside is the way to go.(weather permitting)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Oh Man I used to hate Race Week when I was in Galway. All these leary suits that aren't used to drinking get completely rat arsed and puke everywhere.

You see them waking up in gardens around 7 or 8 in the morning and really well you have to laugh at them. Great way to spend your week off work moron.

Waking from Jury's Inn to Cross St. takes about ten minutes if you're lucky. Craziness. Perhpas enjoyable for a while but it really gets way too much at times.

Friend of mine used to live on Cross street and I remember we couldn't actually get out her front door one evening. People just refused to move out of her doorway so we could leave. Then, later when we did finally get a bit out the door people tried to push their way, thinking it was a pub and then not believing us when we told them they couldn't come in as it was a residence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

All these leary suits that aren't used to drinking get completely rat arsed and puke everywhere.
    You see them waking up in gardens around 7 or 8 in the morning and really well you have to laugh at them. Great way to spend your week off work moron.

I see this happen every weekend except for the suits,probably why they stand out more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Then, later when we did finally get a bit out the door people tried to push their way, thinking it was a pub and then not believing us when we told them they couldn't come in as it was a residence.

You should start selling cans from your mates hall at pub prices:rolleyes:

I still make out it will be regular hours on Monday night. You will see it in the Advertiser tomorrow. I know Halo & Raddisson are not opening up until Tuesday. Whatever happens there will no shortage of drink.

seen a sign given out by the vintners assc. today stating that galway has late hours from sat til sun week.

karma is opening from monday to monday - in the galway independant

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭j22

Why do NUI have their repeat exams at the same time as race week. Have they no hearts? This is my first summer in Galway and Im gonna miss all of race week because of stupid exams,

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

j22 wrote:
    Why do NUI have their repeat exams at the same time as race week. Have they no hearts? This is my first summer in Galway and Im gonna miss all of race week because of stupid exams,
    They do it so that anyone you might need to contact in a hurry in relation to the exams is on holiday.

Advertisement