Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sushi tips?

• 25-07-2006 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭

Hi,

I've always liked Sushi and saw they've got all the ingredients and things i'll need to try making it in my local supermarket, but I'd say it can be tricky so has anyone tried it and do you have any tips?

I've found a few recipies online, but if anyone has any particular favourites they'd be appreciated - and just basically any info that'll stop me making a balls of it.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Smoked salmon and cucumber is good, also try parboiled carrot sticks.
    Use wet hands when making the rice flat on the nori.
    Use a rolling mat if you can't roll properly.
    Mix sugar and rice vinegar into the sushi rice before it cools down.
    Use a wet cloth to wipe the knife blade between slices otherwise it will pull and tear the roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kingcalvin

I've made sushi at home for years. The most important thing is to be sanitary and get FRESH FRESH FRESH fish. I'd try a local fish wholesaler or talk to a local sushi restaurant and ask them where they buy their fish... it should be local.

Also, there are many great sites on the web... this Recipe Blog has a post to a great sushi site...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

kingcalvin wrote:
    I've made sushi at home for years. The most important thing is to be sanitary and get FRESH FRESH FRESH fish.

Would that not be for sashimi primarily?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Nope, plus you can really taste the difference.

I always thought the fish had to be deep freezed to kill all the various bacteria ?

damnyanks wrote:
    Nope, plus you can really taste the difference.

I always thought the fish had to be deep freezed to kill all the various bacteria ?

What do you mean nope? Was that an answer to my question because it makes no sense?

Sashimi is fresh raw fish.
    Sushi is a rice dish, that sometimes has some sashimi elements to it, but not necessarily.

I wouldn't eat fish that had been frozen raw myself, the large temperature fluctuations can lead to food poisoning.

• Advertisement

damnyanks wrote:

Anyway, it's not deep freezed, it's deep fruzz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Jim10000

Great stuff - thanks for the replies. I suppose what I'm talking is this 'sushimi', if that's the small rice based rolls and things often with bits of fish and served with ginger, wasabi and soy sauce.

I'd certainly like to include fresh fish but am slightly paranoid about it now. You know the way you can get little packs of made-up sushi in the super market? would the fish in those be that super-fresh?

What if I got some tuna steaks or whatever from the fish counter? safe enough?
    Maybe I should start with a couple of veggie options and smoked salmon recipies.. there's no shortage of ideas on those blogs, cheers for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It's probably good to keep in mind that sushi and sashimi are not one in the same - that is, there is more to sushi than raw fish!

For easy-to-make, safe sushi, why not try egg (whip an egg or two, add some sugar and fry it like an omlette, cut to the required size and set it atop your sushi rice) or coleslaw (on top of rice, wrapped in nori).

Jim10000 wrote:
    Great stuff - thanks for the replies. I suppose what I'm talking is this 'sushimi', if that's the small rice based rolls and things often with bits of fish and served with ginger, wasabi and soy sauce.

I'd certainly like to include fresh fish but am slightly paranoid about it now. You know the way you can get little packs of made-up sushi in the super market? would the fish in those be that super-fresh?

What if I got some tuna steaks or whatever from the fish counter? safe enough?
    Maybe I should start with a couple of veggie options and smoked salmon recipies.. there's no shortage of ideas on those blogs, cheers for that.

The fish guy in Temple Bar market on a Saturday has sashimi grade fish, all of it comes off of one day trawlers, he wont buy fish that has been on a boat a week.
    I have eaten his scallops, cod, tuna and salmon as sashimi, all very tasty, cept the cod which was kinda boring.
    The tuna and the scallops are fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Anyway, it's not deep freezed, it's deep fruzz.

If you understood what I said why do you feel the need to be anal and point out a grammer error?

As for my "No" comment which followed your question, yes it was an answer to your question.

I'm glad you were able to clear up the confusion. Fair play.

• Advertisement

damnyanks wrote:
    If you understood what I said why do you feel the need to be anal and point out a grammer error?

As for my "No" comment which followed your question, yes it was an answer to your question.

I'm glad you were able to clear up the confusion. Fair play.

See that thing whizzing over your head, that was the point..........and it was humour not being anal, look up fruzz as a word there, in fact look up freezed and then look up fruzz, although I fear the skills of "dictionary" are unknown to you grasshopper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kingcalvin

Yes... sashimi is the actual raw fish.... sushi is the rice. However, the rolls can contain sashimi. Always get the freshest fish available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Blub2k4 wrote:
    The fish guy in Temple Bar market on a Saturday has sashimi grade fish, all of it comes off of one day trawlers, he wont buy fish that has been on a boat a week.
    I have eaten his scallops, cod, tuna and salmon as sashimi, all very tasty, cept the cod which was kinda boring.
    The tuna and the scallops are fantastic.

If he only buys tuna that has been on the boat a day where is he getting it? I wasn't aware that tuna was landed in Ireland? Or is it a day on the boat and a few days getting here from Spain or wherever?

I'll ask him the next time I'm there, it wont be this weekend as I'm just back from holidays.

Advertisement