Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

preeclampsia

Options
  • 25-07-2006 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi everyone, I am a 20 year old mother to be, im just gone 31 weeks and i was at the doctor the other day and he told me that my blood pressure was high and that i had protein in my urine and said that it was signs of preeclampsia . The protein appeared in the first check up with the doctor when i was a few weeks pregnant, then the next check up after that no protein showed up in Urine. is there anyone out there that suffered from this and had it show in one check up and not the other i just found that really strange - any advise would be gratefull

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Hi everyone, I am a 20 year old mother to be, im just gone 31 weeks and i was at the doctor the other day and he told me that my blood pressure was high and that i had protein in my urine and said that it was signs of preeclampsia . The protein appeared in the first check up with the doctor when i was a few weeks pregnant, then the next check up after that no protein showed up in Urine. is there anyone out there that suffered from this and had it show in one check up and not the other i just found that really strange - any advise would be gratefull
    The most common signs for pre-eclampsia are raised blood pressure, protein in urine, swelling in hands and feet and headaches, all of these individually can also be normal pregnancy symptoms, so if you have any or all you need to be monitored. I had a pretty bad kidney infection at week 29 and had elevated BP and protein in my urine, but after being monitored for a couple of days both were back to normal. Make sure you keep very hydrated and if you notice that you have any other symptoms you need to go back to Dr asap (at 31 weeks you should probably ring maternity hospital too, if you are feeling unwell). When are you due back for another checkup? These boards are helpful, but you shouldn't rely on medical advice from them you should always check it out with a midwife or Dr asap. Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 wattodotoforyou

Yeh the doctor knows about it now i phoned him up so gonna go for check up more often than usual and they will keep an eye on me and babs thanks for your advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I developed pre-eclampsia on my first pregnancy....raised blood pressure and protein in the urine are common symptoms of pre-ecl. but not exclusive. High BP is very common in pregnancy and urine protein tests can come positive due to infection or sample contamination. You will continue to be monitored but perhaps more closely as you will now be considered higher risk for developing pre-eclampsia. Other signs to look out for are head-aches, spots in vision, oedema (swelling), etc...

You can get a blood test which will diagnose pre-eclampsia (if I remember correctly it tests for a specific acid building up in the blood) but if you have any doubts or you don't feel well at all then your GP or a visit to your local maternity ward is best. hth :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭MyBaby

Towards the end of my pregnancy i had protein in my urine and feet swelling. next check up, protein was gone. and everything went grand. once the docs know, they will keep an eye on you. u shud b ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 EcologiKids

HI.
    I had this on both of my pregnancies and symptoms were exactly the same. I also had kidney infection etc. and like some of the other moms I had protein in urine (along with all the other signs of pre-eclampsia) on and off - it changed from week to week. Basically they need to keep a close eye on all your symptoms especially the blood pressure as this can cause problems for babs. Rest as much as you can and get your feet elevated and keep hydrated as much as possible (not hard in this hot weather we're having!). I went into early labour and had my baby at 34 weeks but this is not always the outcome so don't start worrying needlessly. Just take care of yourself and your baby and keep getting check ups and tell everyone who sees you that you've been showing signs of pre-eclampsia (they don't always read the notes sometimes)....

best of luck and lots of rest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement