Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Whats other peoples Opinions??

Options
  • 25-07-2006 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Must start off by saying that in general I am not a huge fan of American cars, in fact most of them are hideous to look at. I spent a couple of months at the beginning of the year in Canada where most of the cars there are GMC's Fords etc, and of course there are a fair share of huge trucks Dodge etc and they are just appalling.

My question is what are peoples opinion of the Chrysler 300c? I am almost ashamed to say it but I think these are a fabulous looking car, surely these are an alternative to all the BMW's/Mercs that are a dime a dozen now.

Also on a side note while I was in Canada I was lucky enough to have the use of a new Cadillac CTS for about 6 weeks, and have to say that they are a seriously classy car. So there are some decent American cars out there.

Anyhow what do other people think (about the 300c?), oh...and I have seen the top gear that reviewed the car so there is no need to rehash Jeremy Clarksons view, which seems to happen quite a bit in this forum...personal opinions please.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I've seen them and they look mean. A friend owns one and he likes it.

I've not driven one however.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

lovely looking car, but think it's basically and E class merc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

the 300c is a rappers delight and aquired by the type of footballer who can't afford a DB9 or Range Rover 4.6 Sport I'll say no more.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Purely on looks, I think they're interesting. They're apparently a lot of car for the money too, and Cadillacs have extremely long service intervals (this may or may not be a good thing, however)

I would take one over a Merc or BM, just for the crack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭qazz

American cars looks really nice. I mean the big ones because if they make any small car it's awful. A 300C looks great. But I prefer their 60's, 70's cars like Mustangs, Camaros, etc... If you can afford a Chrysler buy it. There are plenty of Mercs, BMWs in Ireland... It's good to have something unique...

• Advertisement

Not that unique anymore, I see a couple every week (not always the same couple).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The have a certain 'attitude' about them. But I'm not a fan of them yet. I wonder what the resale values will be............maybe you'll get one for a steal in a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Looks like something Tony Soprano might drive ...in black, of course:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭qazz

mike65 wrote:
    Not that unique anymore, I see a couple every week (not always the same couple).

Mike.

Right But there are still few of them. So if you want something really unique buy this: http://carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=406628

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

qazz wrote:
    Right But there are still few of them. So if you want something really unique buy this: http://carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=406628

Imagine the fuel consumption - 4 metres to the litre:D

• Advertisement

Now thats an American heap! :D

I have visions of the Rat Pack falling out of one in Vegas during a particularly
    busy evenings delectation.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭damo605

That '63 Caddy is one seriously cool car!
    The only thing that put me off the 300c is its Merc underpinnings :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I think the 300c is a fantastic looking car, classy,sleek and a bit retro. Kinda looks to me like the new challenger that's coming out next year,only fatter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Well dodge are in Ireland now, I think I'd rather a big dodge!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I think the 300C is a fat monstrosity, the proportions are weird and it just looks silly on the roads here. I'm not trying to impose conformity on Irish motorists or anything, but it just sticks out like a sore (bloated, pussy) thumb compared to most cars here. Though I suppose it is different, the Hemi V8 engine does sound intriguing, and at least it's not as boring looking as whatever Cadillac they sell here.

If I was going to get a fat car I'd rather get a Jag XJ - sure it'll probably fall apart if I look at it (have they got much better recently?), but it's just more classy IMO, and looks like a real car.
    steve06 wrote:
    Well dodge are in Ireland now...
    Erm, Dodge is the same company as Chrysler/Jeep, and I the crappy Neon was originally a Dodge in the US so it's not exactly anything new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Erm, Dodge is the same company as Chrysler/Jeep, and I the crappy Neon was originally a Dodge in the US so it's not exactly anything new.

Erm, well dodge has just officially be launched in Ireland and the site only just went live within the last 3 days www.dodge.ie so it is something new for the Irish market!!!!!!

Dodge are selling some hulking tank called the Calibre in the UK for 12 grand, they are clearly looking to make an impact a la Korean marques 10 years back, and like those cars it'll be made from bakelite and pig iron.

1499-03.jpg

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

john_g83 wrote:
    My question is what are peoples opinion of the Chrysler 300c? I am almost ashamed to say it but I think these are a fabulous looking car, surely these are an alternative to all the BMW's/Mercs that are a dime a dozen now.

an alternative? no way.... they are cheap and tacky inside. I drove two of them in the states a few weeks ago. They handle terrible and are very slow. The lights on the inside reminded me of a toilet.. honestly. Sure, they look big and impressive on the outside but that’s about as good as it gets. There's so much roll and such a bouncy feel when driving them.... A poor mans merc :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

steve06 wrote:
    Erm, well dodge has just officially be launched in Ireland and the site only just went live within the last 3 days www.dodge.ie so it is something new for the Irish market!!!!!!
    But it's just another brand - a lot of Dodges/Chryslers/Plymouths share the same parts or are pretty much the same cars with different names. The Dodge Caliber is just the successor to the Neon, which we already got under the Chrysler brand, and Dodge Vipers have previously been sold in Europe by Chrysler dealers.

IMO, the Dodge name (these days anyway - I know it was originally a separate company) is just marketing **** and I'd barely consider it a different marque to Chrysler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭john_g83

Hey Guys thank for the replies, looks like the general consensus is that people do like the looks of this car (which surprised me, thought it might be a bit of a marmite car.. ya either like it or hate it), but the overall performance leaves something to be desired.. Interesting. That said I'd still have one over a similar priced merc/beemer. Unfortunately they are not in my range...yet;) , interesting point about the resale value, anyone any ideas which way this will go? Will they hold their value?

God thats awful news about dodge starting to sell their own brand cars in ireland, they are the most obnoxious looking yokes on the road bar none, however I doubt they will sell any of their monster gas guzzlers over here.
    Anyone fancy trying to run one of these over here?:
    http://www.dodge.com/en/performance/index.html#mpg_ram_2500_3500

• Advertisement
Advertisement