Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Apartment setting up living room with LCD and surround sound

Options
  • 25-07-2006 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

My new flat is currently being finished off.

Im looking to get an LCD wall mounted with 4 surround sound speakers around the room (not near the tv) (their floor standing)

The floors are wooden and already installed.

What is the best way? Behind skirting? Who could i get to do this work? Might need sockets and a cable point put in where the LCD will be also.

Any tips appretiated.

apartment-speaker.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

If skirting are nailed on, run you wires along the top instead of taking them off. You run the risk of breaking them, if they don't come off easily. What your ceiling made out off, could you run the wires along that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

i've attached a 360 image of the room.

You can see the problem getting a wire past the kitchen to the corner in the attachment

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

For the kitchen prob, you could try going through the wall and running the cable round the 3 sides of the kitchen, rather than trying to cross the wide opening.

The plinths under the kitchen units may well be removable, so run the cables behind there.

Going the other way if you can't get under the door, you will have to go around the frame. Suggest you drill through and run cable around the outside (i.e. hall) rather than in the room. That way even if it's not perfectly hidden in the hall you can't see it in the room (out of sight out of mind)

Alternatively you could avoid either going round the kitchen or the door by running cables the long way all around the room. This means crossing the balcony window. if you're ptting up curtains the cables might hide behind the curtain rail.

could i pay some1 to do it neat and tidy? :) .. who would be suitable .. plasterer or electrician or?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭aka_Ciaran

Hi STaN - nice pad. This is totally off topic but I was wondering where you got your black leather couch and the red leather one (looks like a chaise longue)? I'm looking to buy something similar but being a bit of a tightwad I want to get them at a good price.......cheers

• Advertisement

aka_Ciaran wrote:
    Hi STaN - nice pad. This is totally off topic but I was wondering where you got your black leather couch and the red leather one (looks like a chaise longue)? I'm looking to buy something similar but being a bit of a tightwad I want to get them at a good price.......cheers

Its actually staging furniture (it was a show apartment).. im hoping to get information from the estate agent as there was other furniture in the property i liked.

Once i found out where it came from, i'll send it on. Looks v.pricey though.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pbergin

STaN wrote:
    Hi Guys,

My new flat is currently being finished off.

Im looking to get an LCD wall mounted with 4 surround sound speakers around the room (not near the tv) (their floor standing)

The floors are wooden and already installed.

What is the best way? Behind skirting? Who could i get to do this work? Might need sockets and a cable point put in where the LCD will be also.

Any tips appretiated.

apartment-speaker.gif

Just an fyi, you are probably going to have to install 5 speakers, will be needed under the main screen

pbergin wrote:
    Just an fyi, you are probably going to have to install 5 speakers, will be needed under the main screen

Im not sure what you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

He means a centre speaker, your plans seem to only have a sub shown. I wouldn't get a plasterer to do the work. You could get an electrician to do it but someone you does audio visual work would be better. If you want I can get a number for a guy I know does that kind of stuff, not sure what the price would be though. He's away on holidays at the moment but I'll get it when he returns.

ah ok, yea have a center speaker just forgot to include it.

If anyone has a number for some1 to do it, it would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

What floor is your apartment on? Do you have any ceiling access or anything?

Its on third and 4th. 4th is the topfloor so have roof access.

3rd floor is living room. Bedroom is above it on the 4th.

question, do yo uhave all the required wiring? If not, an audio visual would probably be what you need, unless you can scource them yoruself.

Dont have them yet but can source if the person setting it up required it. Still have to source the TV/wallmount also.

In that case an electrician would probably be the quickest and easiest option. Golden pages tbh. You'll have to tell them what way you want the cables brought, i.e. through the ceiling, through walls, around doors or along flours. Other wise he'll just do what ever is easiest for him, and that could be unsightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭freddie

aka_Ciaran

the couch is actually from dunnes stores, i saw it in there a couple of weeks ago! cant remember the price but it was good for an italian piece. limited numbers if i remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

You can get speaker wire that comes on a roll like tape. It is stuck to the skirting and then can be painted, making it almost invisible. It's not exactly audiophile stuff, but it should suit your application.
    It can be stuck to the floor as well.

Flat Speaker Wire

Advertisement