Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Style versus Fashion

• 25-07-2006 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

Despite H&Ms usage of the slogan "Style versus Fashion" in their campaign for entry into the Irish market, the slogan has in fact been around for a long time. It is said that "Style Lives and Fashions Die".

What is your understanding of the statement and do you ever put it into use?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

To me, fashion is the trends present in the high st shops, and generally have short lived seasons where an item or combination of items are the "in" thing before falling out of favour. Style is unique to a person, it is can be separate from fashion but interlinked in some ways ie, a persons unique take on the clothes that are currently in fashion. What looks stylish on one person might be hideous on another, so style to me is all about what suits the individual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭uniquechic

I agree with nightwish. Fashion is like a trend-its everywhere in shops and it doesnt last long. Style is where a person wears clothes that suit them, that fit well etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

yup nightwish has hit the nail on the head. Theres a huge difference between someone who is fashionable - wears whatever the magazines tell them to and whatever is in fashion at the time, and someone who has style - puts together their own mix of clothes to suit their looks and personaility.
    I love H&M and penneys as they are great places to pick up bits and pieces at a good price to mix and match with your own stuff to create your style. I hate looking like everyone else so I dont like wearing whats 'in', I prefer to make my own interpretation of it. Also, fashion crazy people will wear whatever is deemed to be 'in' regardless of wether it suits them. Someone with style will know what trends will suit them and what wont

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

Style = Sienna Miller, Nicole Richie and Kate Moss and the combination of everything they wear that looks great put together

Fashion = girl waddling around in city shorts looking terrible etc

???

Nightwish wrote:
    To me, fashion is the trends present in the high st shops, and generally have short lived seasons where an item or combination of items are the "in" thing before falling out of favour. Style is unique to a person, it is can be separate from fashion but interlinked in some ways ie, a persons unique take on the clothes that are currently in fashion. What looks stylish on one person might be hideous on another, so style to me is all about what suits the individual.
    This is the definition of both words so ....what she said:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Stephanos

Couldn't agree more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah, people who wear clothes (that they might have hated a few weeks before - eg cowboy boots) just because they're "in fashion" are pretty pitiful really. As are people who won't wear a certain item of clothing/do their hair a certain way because it's not in fashion - even if it makes them look fabulous. It should be pretty simple really - wear what you want to wear and what looks good on you.
    Plus, I'm sorry (and I'm not flaming - just voicing my opinion) why do people need other people's approval? If you think it looks good on you, then it should be a no-brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Cary grant in North by northwest. Frank sinatra in oceans 11. Are they fashionable? **** no. Are they stylish? Nuff said. Fashion changes, style is timeless.

Advertisement