Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remember that rape at the bus stop?

• 25-07-2006 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

from unison
    A WATERFORD man who raped and threatened to kill a 14-year-old girl just after she got off a bus has been jailed for eight years.

Gary Crowley (26) was caught after a garda who arrested him for an unpaid fine spotted the resemblance to a photofit compiled after the attack.

Crowley, of Marine Drive, Tramore, and with an address at St Herblain, Waterford, pleaded guilty to raping the teenager on the night of January 22-23, this year at Cherrymount, Kilbarry.

He was jailed yesterday by Mr Justice Paul Carney at the Central Criminal Court.

Crowley was detected as the culprit when Garda John O'Toole arrested him some days later concerning an unpaid fine and thought his facial features resembled those in a CD-fit picture of the rapist which had been compiled for the investigation.

Mr Justice Carney said he could be jailed for 14 years on the threat to kill alone but said mitigating factors included his early admissions and remorse and his guilty plea.

Mr Justice Carney suspended the final 18 months of the sentence.

The victim earlier told how she still suffered nightmares and her school work had since deteriorated.

Tomas Mac Ruairi

While I'm glad the little sh1t is behind bars, 8 years?????????

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

mike65 wrote:
    While I'm glad the little sh1t is behind bars, 8 years?????????
    6.5 years actually.

I love this:
    mitigating factors included his early admissions and remorse and his guilty plea.
    Surely the fact that he only owned up when he was caught is the most important one. Remorse and admittance when you've been found out is no remorse at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

yeah, things like that are complete bull****

because someone admits it and that they are remorseful they should get a reduced sentence?

it is a load of rubbish. he should have gotten a full term

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

An admission means no court trauma for the victim and less money and time used up, hence the 'reward'

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

mike65 wrote:
    An admission means no court trauma for the victim and less money and time used up, hence the 'reward'

Mike.

If you're a criminal, tis indeed a wonderful little country all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Bookee

It's 'fair enough' when compared to the light sentences Paedophiles(sick freaks) are getting in the UK........! (Not meaning to take away from the seriousness of this crime.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

So six and a half years....out in four?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Roen wrote:
    So six and a half years....out in four?

3 for good behaviour, 2.5 after time already served, 2 because the prisons are overcrowded, 1.5 after some new innovative rehabilitation programme. Time to be served in the Hilton, in case the other prisoners attempt to "fix" the paedophile! Conjugal visits (strictly adult females) allowed to encourage prisoner re-orientation...

Job in a school upon release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

where ye getting the 6.5 years out of? it was 8 years in all reports i've heard/read. what i'd like to know is how he was allowed out on bail since it happened, doesn't make sense to me, and it took ages to sort out the book of evidence - how so when it's such a clear-cut case? i didn't know about the threat to kill either until the reports came out on monday, that just makes it even more ****ed up. ah the whole thing is just a tragedy for all involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

where ye getting the 6.5 years out of? it was 8 years in all reports i've heard/read. what i'd like to know is how he was allowed out on bail since it happened, doesn't make sense to me, and it took ages to sort out the book of evidence - how so when it's such a clear-cut case? i didn't know about the threat to kill either until the reports came out on monday, that just makes it even more ****ed up. ah the whole thing is just a tragedy for all involved.
    8 years with 18 months suspended. A suspended sentence is no sentence at all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Fact remains, he got caught..

Im sure that poor child that b*stard raped will be scarred for life, but its some small consolation that he was caught and she didnt have to get dragged through the trauma of court appearances.

Guys like that deserve a lot more that an easy stretch in prison, Im sure if they developed a drug where you got injected and it made you impotent for life, it may make some scumbags think twice before they did something like that.. the thoughts of never being able to get it up again might deter some pervs.. :D

Tox

• Advertisement
Advertisement