Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem/router question

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Drustan

Ok i'm on adsl BT 3mb package and i am very happy with product so far. I was with UTV, even though they were competitve at the start, they soon became the worst bb provider when they introduced and enforced there capping rule. Anyhow getting back to you question on routers. I presently use a Netgear DG834PN wireless router. The adapter i use is a netgear WPN111. I am not going to go into the specs of this router (just do a google search) as it would take too long. Word of warning make sur eyou purchase a router thats compatable with your bb package. This router is an adsl router modem as you will see, some are just an dsl (cable) router only so its important before you buy that you make sure you have the right model. I also had a belkin model, forget model number but its one of their recent ones (want MIMO tech though, just speed booster) and i found it dreadful, could not keep a decent connection, constant d/c's and signal strength was dreadful. I am now getting a connection speed of 108mps with this netgear. With regards price, if you buy from a retailer here your looking at 200 yo yos for router/modem and 80 - 100 yo yos for the adapter. Total cost for what i [aid on eBay was roughly 150 yo yos for both (and it was in sterling). Now i was lucky i got it brand new for a bargain, be very hard to find one for that price i'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Thanks for that D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Drustan wrote:
    This router is an adsl router modem as you will see, some are just an dsl (cable) router only so its important before you buy that you make sure you have the right model.
    Most people use a "broadband router" with their DSL. You put your DSL modem in "bridge mode" so it really is just a "modem", and then configure the broadband router to do the DSL login and all router functionality.

As long as your DSL provider provides a DSL modem with an ethernet port (as pretty much all do these days, as far as I know), you don't need to spend the extra money for an ADSL router.

On the one hand, an all-in-one ADSL router only requires one plug, so you can have a neater setup, and save a few quid a year on electricity. On the other, if you ever move and end up getting wireless BB or cable BB, your DSL router won't be any good to you - swings and roundabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

cubix wrote:
    I am thinking of going the esat BB route €20 a month unless anyone can show me better and was thinking of paying the extra €40 for their modem/router
    http://www.zyxel.com/web/product_family_detail.php?PC1indexflag=20040812093058&CategoryGroupNo=AC5783AE-9475-41AD-BDA5-0997187F44AA

And was wondering for a few extra dollars are Linksys or the like doing a better one ie:10/100/1000 instead of just 10/100 but also needs to have wireless like the Zyxel
    In general, a Linksys or Netgear or Dlink would usually be considered a better buy, but for basic use, the ZyXel is okay. If your environment is particularly challenging for wireless use (old house, stone walls, or you plan to use your laptop at the end of the garden, the general concensus is that you'd probably be better off with a better bit of kit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Drustan

By the way Netgear owns Zyxel. And you are more or less correct Foxword with regards bridging but for some reason i think its the way netgear insists you are connected to net with their dsl router when configuring at the start, which meant i could not get a connection even when set to bridge. I think some are iffy, so safer to go with an adsl router thats if your bb is adsl of course IMO that is.

Here is a great site for all hardware & networking cubix, toms place
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/tomsnetworking/lans_routers/charts.html?chart=119

• Advertisement
Advertisement