Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom DSL problems

• 25-07-2006 7:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just got Eircom Home Plus 2Mb today. The problem is when try to go to hotmail.com, google and a few more sites nothing happens. Some sites work, some don't. I have my firewall turned off. I *think* i have the routers firewall off. These sites work fine with my dial-up connection and I couldn't find a solution with eircom's help.
    What's the problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Can you ping the affected sites
    Start--> Run--> type cmd and then type ping www.google.com

Supply more info ie Browser, Modem, OS, ect any security or antivirus you have running.

If you know how to login the web interface on your modem post up the DNS servers you are using also post up the output of
    of the command ipconfig/all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Pinging google and the others comes back ok.
    I have all Anti-virus and firewalls off.
    The router is a 2247 Wireless Wi-FI G Gateway.
    I use firefox mostly, but the same results come from IE and firefox.
    I'm running WIndows XP SP2.

IPconfig:
    Connection-specific DNS suffix. :
    IP Address............................ : 192.168.1.1
    Subnet Mask......................... : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway.................... : 192.168.1.254

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Spunge wrote:
    The router is a 2247 Wireless Wi-FI G Gateway.
    Are you connected by an ethernet cable to the 2247, or are you using a wireless connection?

Have a look at the DrTCP tool. You may need to tweak your MTU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Check in your router what IPs are in for DNS

I'm also on eircom using 213.94.190.194 and 213.94.190.236

although since you were able to ping it's probably ok

other things to try are flushing your browser cache and history also scan your comp for spyware and browser hijackers. Last time I came across something like that was because a hijacker had screwed around with the lmhosts file causing selected sites to be unreachable.

one more thing to try is ipconfig /renew to reset your connection to your router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 x w62CE t4<D@C

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

It sounds very much like an MTU problem. This site explains how to change it: http://help.expedient.net/broadband/mtu.shtml

I'm using an ethernet cable, what's MTU?

The DNS numbers are same as yours :
    Primary DNS Server 213.94.190.194
    Secondary DNS Server 213.94.190.236

I did an adaware scan ,hijackthis, and spybot: looks clean. Since i can access the sites on dial-up im guessing that's not the problem. I can only get on to boards.ie through dial-up so im going back and forth at the moment.

Trying ipconfig /renew now

EDIT: Now trying the MTU

I changed the MTU using the registry to 1400, and no change. Is that what i am supposed to do?

Also tried this MTU test http and i no matter what i type from 1400+ i never get "Reply from ...." etc

//help.expedient.net/broadband/mtu_ping_test.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Spunge wrote:
    I changed the MTU using the registry to 1400, and no change. Is that what i am supposed to do?

Also tried this MTU test http and i no matter what i type from 1400+ i never get "Reply from ...." etc

//help.expedient.net/broadband/mtu_ping_test.shtml
    Try 1492 in the MTU settings.

Advertisement