Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New BT Modem

• 25-07-2006 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi,

I've just joined BT and installed their modem. When I run eMule it says 'Your 4662 port is not reachable. Please review your network config'

My Firewall is turned off, and I still get this message. I've also tried changing to other ports, but get the same message.

Any explanations.

Thanks,

Kevin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

KOR1 wrote:
    Hi,

I've just joined BT and installed their modem. When I run eMule it says 'Your 4662 port is not reachable. Please review your network config'

My Firewall is turned off, and I still get this message. I've also tried changing to other ports, but get the same message.

Any explanations.

Thanks,

Kevin
    www.portforward.com

And a visit to http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ might be in order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 KOR1

tried the port forwarding and this did the trick -in other words, I got a high ID in eMule. The speeds are fine, although it fails the TCP port test in eMule.

But, then the connection crashed during the night. Restarted, and everything is fine again.......for now....

Thanks though!

Hi,

The connection had being staying up for a few hours at a time, but now it's down to about an hour.

I'm wondering whether the fixed IP address you have to use for the port forwarding evetually has a conflict when BT assigns it to another user.

Although, the fact that I'm getting less time now before it crashes, suggests that BT have some systems in place to trottle P2P users.

Any thoughts anyone,

Thanks,

Kevin

KOR1 wrote:
    I'm wondering whether the fixed IP address you have to use for the port forwarding evetually has a conflict when BT assigns it to another user.
    You DON'T need a fixed address for port forwarding. Some people suggest giving the PC a fixed address in the 192.168 range, but unless you have a bunch of PCs, your DHCP address will never change anyway. You absolutely must not assign the modem a fixed "public" IP address - even if you could, it will definitely screw things up.

Thanks for your help, but this is what www.portforwarding.com say....

"It is very important to setup a static ip address, if you are going to use port forwarding. When you have port forwarding setup, your router forwards ports to the ip address you specify."

It advises you to run 'ipconfig /all' to get IP address, Subnet mask, Default gateway, and Name Server address. These are then entered as a static address for the connection using the control panel.

You then choose new ports for eMule, and access the modem configuration to forward these new ports to the IP address you found earlier.

This is what I've done. You probably gathered I don't know much about this...........

• Advertisement

KOR1 wrote:
    Thanks for your help, but this is what www.portforwarding.com say....

"It is very important to setup a static ip address, if you are going to use port forwarding. When you have port forwarding setup, your router forwards ports to the ip address you specify."

It advises you to run 'ipconfig /all' to get IP address, Subnet mask, Default gateway, and Name Server address. These are then entered as a static address for the connection using the control panel.

You then choose new ports for eMule, and access the modem configuration to forward these new ports to the IP address you found earlier.
    When you configure port forwarding on your router, you have to tell your router what IP adress to forward the inbound packets to. In theory, a PC with a dynamically address can get a different address each time, which would make port forwarding difficult.

But in practice, when you reboot your PC, it asks for the address that it was using the last time it got an address. Unless something else got that address in the meantime (unlikely in most home networks), your "dynamically asssigned" IP address won't change over time, and therefore setting a static address is a waste of time.

What's even worse, if you do asssign your existing dynamic address as static, your PC won't ask for that address again, and eventually the DHCP server will decide that that address is available again. So the next time you do add something new to your network, guess which address it's going to be dynamically assigned? Yup, the first availabe address in the dynamic "pool", which is the one that your "static" address stopped asking for, so it got added back into the pool. And guess what happens when 2 devices try to use the same IP address at the same time?

And then there's what happens next year when you decide to upgrade your router. Instead of using the 192.168.0.x network like your old router, the new one uses 192.168.1.x. And you can't figure out why you can't get your PC to work with your new router, when the PC downstairs works fine, because you forgot that a year ago you set a "static" address.

And then there's the confusion for those people who think they have to have a static public IP address.

To sum up, your router needs to know where to forward those port forwarded packets. That can be a hassle if your IP address is constantly changing. In practice, your dynamic address doesn't constantly change - and if it does change in 3 months time, it's easy to update your port forward. So in most environments, it is not necessary to set a static address. Do it if you want, but don't get hung up on it. In the long run, it will probaby cause as many problems as it solves.

So, what you're saying is that I should choose DHCP for the connection. Find out this consistent IP address I'm being assigned, and then forward the eMule ports to that address.

I'll try that and let you know how I get on. Thanks for the lenghty reply.

Kevin

Advertisement