Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

licensing [xp pro = xp mce]?

• 25-07-2006 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭

odd question,
    ive purchased a machine to use as a htpc.
    it comes with an xp pro coa.

i would like to use mce instead of pro on this pc.
    does the pro license cover me to downgrade to mce,
    a slightly crippled and cheaper version of the same os?
    or am i required to buy a new license?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Without actually looking at each of the licenses, I would say you are most likely not allowed that. Especially if your copy of Pro was bundled with your PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

No.
    MS don't like it and will scream piracy. MCE (2005) is still OEM-only, AFAIK, so you'd only be able to legally purchase it with accompanying hardware. I don't think the keys are interchangable.
    Have a read through some newsgroups [ microsoft.public.windows.*]

They also seem to consider MCE and upgrade from XP Pro. heh.
    Have a look into MCE alternatives, like MediaPortal or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

subway wrote:
    odd question,
    ive purchased a machine to use as a htpc.
    it comes with an xp pro coa.

i would like to use mce instead of pro on this pc.
    does the pro license cover me to downgrade to mce,
    a slightly crippled and cheaper version of the same os?
    or am i required to buy a new license?

MCE is an upgrade from XP Pro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

thanks for the info guys.
    i have mce edition already so was thinking if i installed it on another machine that was licensed for xp pro i would be covered by the pro license.

ill be testing media portal when my tv card arrives,
    but depending on how that works out ill probably invest in another mce license.
    thanks for the info.

jhegarty wrote:
    MCE is an upgrade from XP Pro
    But technically its not. It can't participate in a domain without a registry hack. Then it's an upgrade of pro. ;)

But anyway, back on topic, you TV card has to be compatible with MCE for it to work. My laptop has MCE but my TV card doesn't have compatible drivers so I still need to use the manufacturer supplied software.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

have a hauppage 150mce so good to go on that front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

As an aside questioni is it possible to upgrade from XP-Home to XP=Pro and not have to pay the full whack?

PDD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

PDD wrote:
    As an aside questioni is it possible to upgrade from XP-Home to XP=Pro and not have to pay the full whack?

PDD
    Pay for an 'XP Pro upgrade'.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

PDD wrote:

PDD
    not legally.

Depends on what you want PRO for

participating in Domain security and active directory means corporate means you pay . if you put a logon script in StartUp folder you can map drives on a domain easily enough. XP HOME is the only networkable microsoft OS that won't run domain logon scripts. (Win 3.11 doesn't either but then again networking was only a patch on 3.1)

if you want DHCP / DNS / Webserver etc. plenty of free apps to do this

Don't forget Ntbackup is on the XP home CD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

Cheers man much appreciated :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement