Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WCW Title change in Dublin???

• 25-07-2006 7:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Hey I was just clicking through title historys on obsessedwithwrestling.com when I noticed this.
    Aparently Vader won the WCW World Title in Dublin on Paddys Day in 1992?? Was anyone here at this show? where was it? Was it anygood?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Nothing about it on Wikipedia. It says:
    Vader was paired with a manager, Harley Race, and the duo stalked the WCW Champion, Sting. seeking a title opportunity. Vader finally received one on April 12, 1992, but lost after punching out the referee. Sting cracked a pair of ribs in the match and Vader was put into a rivalry with Nikita Koloff while Sting recuperated.

Vader didn't seem to be able to defeat Koloff and after some time Sting returned and a rematch was signed. The match took place on July 12, 1992 at The Great American Bash. At the close of the match, Sting missed a Stinger Splash which led to a powerbomb by Vader for the three count. Vader was the new WCW World Heavyweight Champion.

No mention of Ireland. It says he won the title in Baltimore. It's a weird one alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Yerac

I never went to any of the WCW events but I do remember hearing about it at the time. I think there was a very small attendance especially considering WCW were barely even on TV over here at the time.

But yes it did happen, Vader dropped it to Sting earlier in the tour and won it back before they headed to the US, not sure if they ever acknowledged the change on TV or anything but I think it was an attempt to attract attention over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

According to Flairs DVD, the WCW title would change on an almost nightly basis on European tours, but were rarely acknowledged. So this is probably what happened here.

Edit: Im told Rick Rude took on Cactus Jack and Raven on that night also. A title change did happen, in an untaped event. Not sure whether it was acknowledged or not though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

It is mentioned on Wikipedia, on Sting's page, Vader's page, and here

I think what confused some of you, Mr. Nice Guy anyway, is that the OWW page says 1992, but it was 1993. You can see on the OWW page the title reigns before and after Vader's are dated 1993, so it's obviously a misprint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

wwf used to do the same thing.
    the title would change hands and there would be a re-match the following night and it would go back to whoever lost it hte previous night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

AFAIK the title change was mentioned and is credited on most title history sites, books etc.....

There was a video of the match, shot from just off the apron, up on youtube a while back. Probably still there if you have a look around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Red mans your neighbor, call it behavior

the only video i can find on youtube with both of them is this one:
    part 1
    part 2

haven't watched it, so i don't know what the deal is.

I didn't watch the whole match, but that looks like it was the England show. Vader's moonsaults were deadly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Yeah, this card did indeed take place in Dublin, on St. Patrick's Day, 1993.

Sting beat Vader for the WCW title on the first night of the "Real Event" tour in London on the 11th (AFAIK) only to drop it to Vader in the Point, which was the last night of the loop. I used to have a WCW magazine at home with a tour diary but alas I gave it away so it would have more information on it.

Cactus Jack was also on the card, as was Maxx Payne, the Freebirds, Dustin Rhodes and Rick Rude, who at the time was the NWA International champion. So, this card was arguably the first ever time that a wrestling card in Ireland had two world title's on show, that of the WCW and NWA.

I hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Yerac wrote:
    I never went to any of the WCW events but I do remember hearing about it at the time. I think there was a very small attendance especially considering WCW were barely even on TV over here at the time.

But yes it did happen, Vader dropped it to Sting earlier in the tour and won it back before they headed to the US, not sure if they ever acknowledged the change on TV or anything but I think it was an attempt to attract attention over here.

The golden rule back then was : "If it didn't happen on TV it didn't happen."

• Advertisement

This title change in Dublin wasn't on tv, but it's listed in every WCW title history I've read. The initial confusion was because ObsessedWithWrestling have the wrong year beside the date

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

On a side note does anybody remember Sting and Johnny Be Badd being on Kenny Live years ago,couldve been promoting this show,"Hey Stinger,we're in IRELAND" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

On a side note does anybody remember Sting and Johnny Be Badd being on Kenny Live years ago,couldve been promoting this show,"Hey Stinger,we're in IRELAND" :D

That was in 1991 for WCW's first tour over here.

One story I love to think of that tour was how they booked 3 shows in London, then one in Sheffield and Dublin. Sheffield was only booked as they had heard that WWF had sold it out, all 24,000 seats worth so they went and booked it, not bothering to check that Yorkshire TV was about the only ITV network that WCW wasn't televised on. Maybe that's why they only got about 22 1/2 to the show lol, but then that was the story of WCW, not knowing the arse from the elbow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

i`m sure i have photos from that night i`ll have to dig them out and post them

Advertisement